Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gonna get a magnaflow cat-back Unless...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gonna get a magnaflow cat-back Unless...

I am going to order a catback in a few days for the Z, I am leaning towards the Magnaflow system. So...This is where you guys come in. Anyone who has heard them or owned one let me know what you think of this system, If you didnt like it tell me what you did like. I want a good sounding exhaust at WOT, but not so loud cruising, just a little more noticable rumble. I hear the magnaflow does that. The online sound clips dont give 100% accurate sound. so I need some of you with experience to tell me. Thanx
Old 05-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Camaro_Z28
I am going to order a catback in a few days for the Z, I am leaning towards the Magnaflow system. So...This is where you guys come in. Anyone who has heard them or owned one let me know what you think of this system, If you didnt like it tell me what you did like. I want a good sounding exhaust at WOT, but not so loud cruising, just a little more noticable rumble. I hear the magnaflow does that. The online sound clips dont give 100% accurate sound. so I need some of you with experience to tell me. Thanx
Sounds like the magnaflow is just for you then from what you described. I have one and it sounds awesome and the materials are top notch but the fitment isnt so good but with a little work it should look fine. You wont be disappointed in this exaust expecially if you are doing headers later on
Old 05-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro_Z28
the magnaflow does describe what you say you want. i'm presonally not a fan of magnaflows and how they sound, i prefer guttsier setups like true duals or gmmg, but that's my opinion. the magnaflow is a great quality catback as it is stainless, but the tips are hideous. the slash cut angles are almost 90 degrees. they really look bad, especially on a camaro. i'd tell you to pick up a set of corsa knockoffs on ebay for 100 bucks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB..._BIN_Stores_IT

it'll really dress up the setup

if you decide you wanna give your car some serious *****, get a 90 dollar universal x pipe from summit, 2 flowmaster single chamber mufflers and have it fabbed up. no more rasp from unequal y-pipe length!. say goodbye to "blat blat blat." as long as you have a y-pipe you'll always have that popping to some degree.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard it it's nice but Magna mouth is in the works for me quiet still low rpms but way meaner WOT.

0 rasp too w00t. I can't wait.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

I love my magnaflow, slight rumble at idle, nice tone through the rpms, screams at the top. The fitment was amazing, I literally had to do no adjusting. The finish on the tips is top notch as well.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:59 PM
12 Second Club

my buddies magnaflow on his formula is waaaayyy too quiet for me its almost like stock. he has stock cats and stock manifolds.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nyteryder167
I love my magnaflow, slight rumble at idle, nice tone through the rpms, screams at the top. The fitment was amazing, I literally had to do no adjusting. The finish on the tips is top notch as well.

Yes, I agree. The magnaflow is awsome. I have it on my longtubes. Even off of my cated y-pipe it screams at wot. I really dont think anyone can go wrong with it.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:05 AM
TECH Regular

Its a very well built exhaust. Fits very good and sounds good too. I wish it was a little louder, but I'm going to wait and see how it sounds when the car gets a heads and cam package. I'm running long tubes and an off road Y.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:12 AM

Sound is great. Was great when I had only the cat-back & is even better with the headers. Only got slightly ouder with the cam. I always get compliments on the sound of my car.

Now I know I will get flammed for this, but I lost 10rwhp with by going to the magnaflow from the SLP exhaust I had on the car when I bought it. Same Dyno. I would have put the SLp back on, but I cut the **** out of it to get if off the car.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

I have one on my Z, stock except for free mods and a lid/filter. I never liked Magnaflows before, but they actually sound good on LS1s I think. My only complaint is the drone I get at highway speeds (low RPM, high load). Its not terrible though, I may be adding the sound of the exhaust and my whining rearend together, don't know 100% I suppose. I'm worried its going to be wayy too loud for me though when I get around to bolting my new motor together with heads/cam/LTs/ORY and installing it in the next few weeks

EDIT: I am actually planning on trading with someone local to get an SLP 2OTL setup.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Now I know I will get flammed for this, but I lost 10rwhp with by going to the magnaflow from the SLP exhaust I had on the car when I bought it. Same Dyno. I would have put the SLp back on, but I cut the **** out of it to get if off the car.

Ok, will it Give me gains over the stock catback or should I just go with an SLP system, Its alot of money to spend to loose power, I want sound and power out of it.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Sound is great. Was great when I had only the cat-back & is even better with the headers. Only got slightly ouder with the cam. I always get compliments on the sound of my car.

There are too many variables to say that the exhaust alone made you lose 10rwhp. The only was your claim could be remotely valid is if you went to the dyno before you put the exhaust on, and went back the same day with the magnaflow on. Even then there are variables that need to be accounted for, temp for both days, weather/humidity etc. I have seen multiple people get dyno'd on different days, and there be up to a 30rwhp between runs just because of all the variables.

Magnaflow mufflers flow pretty well, and i highly doubt you will lose any power by switching exhausts. With that said, I would swap a catback for the sound, not for any increase in power. You may get between 2-6hp for a catback on a stock car, but much more is unlikely. The gains would be slightly larger on a more modified vehicle.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't complain about anything on my Magnaflow! I have it with a set of Mac mids and high flow cat and it sounds awesome to me! Plus the price is great for a stainlees steel catback
Old 05-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Yeah i have magnaflow on my Z. Very satisfied with the sound and rumble. Not too loud at cruising speeds but it sounds nice at WOT.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by BigKap94z
There are too many variables to say that the exhaust alone made you lose 10rwhp. The only was your claim could be remotely valid is if you went to the dyno before you put the exhaust on, and went back the same day with the magnaflow on. Even then there are variables that need to be accounted for, temp for both days, weather/humidity etc. I have seen multiple people get dyno'd on different days, and there be up to a 30rwhp between runs just because of all the variables.

Magnaflow mufflers flow pretty well, and i highly doubt you will lose any power by switching exhausts. With that said, I would swap a catback for the sound, not for any increase in power. You may get between 2-6hp for a catback on a stock car, but much more is unlikely. The gains would be slightly larger on a more modified vehicle.
Like I said, I knew someone would flame me over this. My consistantly dyno'd 302-304rwhp (SAE corrected) Car had been on the dyno several times and always got the same #'s. Did the SLP lid and Got 306rwhp (SAE corrected) Added the Magnaflow and went back a week later and got 295rwhp (SAE corrected) on they same Dyno, Same operator. Got LS1 edit tune that day and ended up with 309rwhp.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Why don't you take a look at EDELBROCK......
Old 05-06-2006, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Edelbrock huh? I've seen the system...It's only $289 which is pretty good. Anyone have a sound clip of an edelbrock system on a stock car?? I dont think there is one on the sounds site.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:59 PM
12 Second Club

I recently put on my exhaust system which inlcludes:

PaceSetter LTs
PaceSetter ORY
Magnaflow Catback

I am VERY happy with the sound and how it has turned out... she is nice and quiet when she needs to be like passing by the cops and driving through neighborhoods, and screams like a banshee at WOT. I love it.

My only Beef is that there is some Rasp... mainly when I left of the gas at a high RPM... However, she is UNTUNED right now and Ive been told a lot of the RAsp goes away when she gets tuned properly. If not, ill through on some FlowMaster Collecters and that will take care of it.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:48 AM
Teching In

I don't know if anybody else has this problem but mine extremely loud out one side but the other side is real quite. I have LT's and an Off roas y-pipe. I dont know if soethings broke on the inside of the muffle or what, it sounds crazy though
Old 05-12-2006, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nyteryder167
I agree with the above. Sound is very nice, and only took some minor tweaking to get it to fit. Someone else said it has some drone at cruise RPM's under load, and that is also somethiing I agree with. It was not noticable the first week I had it, but after 6 weeks, it has gotten a little louder.

But still quite a nice exhaust system. Especially when you can get a stainless system for under $300 shipped to your door! (At least I did).

Quick Reply: Gonna get a magnaflow cat-back Unless...