Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exciter wire / voltage regulator wire tore off :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exciter wire / voltage regulator wire tore off :(

atleast thats what I was told the clip was that attatches to the top of the alternator.

So i was replacing the bracket on my alternator and before i could get the clip out the alternator slipped out of my hand and tore the wire out of the clip.. not to mention the alternator bonked me on the head....

what are my options for getting this thing back on? i took the clip backing off and tired to get the metal piece out that connects to the alternator but no luck... can I use one of the other 3 prongs? if i splice into the line to make it a little longer will it mess with the voltage output?

any advice here would help me out.

thanks
Old 05-08-2006, 09:24 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same thing. It's actually called the exciter wire.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/racer-s-lounge/488486-why-you-should-disconnect-your-battery-when-working-your-car.html

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I did this when putting my mounts in and had to pull the connector all apart, stick the wire back in, crimp it down, then stick it back through the connector. I had to butcher the connector to get the little metal part out and now it's not sticking worth a ****, but it works.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=crimp

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
The weathertight connector comes apart. There are little metal inserts that you have to remove. The wires were orginally crimped into those metal inserts. You can bend them apart, strip the wire, stick the fresh wire in and crimp them back together. Then you have to re-insert the inserts into the plastic plug.

It's a bitch getting the inserts out if you don't have the tool though. I had to do this with my alternator exciter wire plug, ended up drilling the hole out so it would slide through freely, i carefuly connected the metal part to the alternator, then slid the plug down over it. It's hanging by a thread, but it's been working for like 20k miles.

Check out http://casperselectronics.com/ , they sell all types of OEM plugs and ****. Worst comes to worse, you can buy another one and do it over. They also sell the tool to get the metal inserts out.

I changed the title a bit to help with searching when this happens to other folks.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can release the prong with a paper-clip after disassembling the connector.
Then make a small wire pig-tail from the prong. Just reassemble the connector to the alternator and connect the two wire ends with a butt connector. It's possible and works. Don't ask how i know..........................
Hawk
Old 05-09-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I fixed it. I took the clip apart and got that little guy out. soldered a new wire on it and used RTV to hold it into place.

thanks for the help
Old 05-19-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can also buy just the connector new from the dealer, its like 28$
Old 11-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

I have been fighting with this wire for weeks. I tore mine off at the plug. I got an replacement plug but the wire thickness is different so I can get a good connection for the a butt connector. I don't know what else to do. My lights flicker bad, like people think I'm flashing my headlights bad. Any suggestions on how to get a good connection?
Old 11-02-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluebird5.0
I have been fighting with this wire for weeks. I tore mine off at the plug. I got an replacement plug but the wire thickness is different so I can get a good connection for the a butt connector. I don't know what else to do. My lights flicker bad, like people think I'm flashing my headlights bad. Any suggestions on how to get a good connection?
Solder the two wires together. A solder connection is always better than a butt splice.

Quick Reply: Exciter wire / voltage regulator wire tore off :(