Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What Should I Run?
True Duals w/ electric cut-outs and LM resonators dumped
23.53%
True Duals w/ hi-flow cats and LM resonators dumped
76.47%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Which True Dual Setup???

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 03:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which True Dual Setup???

So which of these should I go with? I've done a search and have seen many pics but I'm torn between the two still.... so. It's seems that it's gonna be either one or the other since there's probably not enough room to do both. this setup will be custom made also. will having cats be that much quieter? what are your guy's opinions? thanks!
Old 05-13-2006, 03:58 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you still kicking around the come off headers, then to cats, then to mufflers, then dumped idea with no x-pipe?

Dual cutouts on a TD system that does not have cats would be pointless IMO.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I honestly can't see the point in having cutouts with the only "mufflers" being the resonators. If you're wanting to do the cutouts, why not get quiet mufflers after them instead? I doubt it will sound any different going out the cutouts than it would going through resonators

As for the cats/resonator combo, I can't really say, since I've never heard that setup before. I would imagine it would still be pretty loud since your only real restriction will be the cats. It won't be quite as loud as say, open headers, but it probably won't be awfully far behind either. I used to be that loud with sweet thunder duals, and it does get old after a while. Did to me at least

Given your setup and what you're wanting, I would probably do dual cutouts after the headers somewhere, and slap on a quiet crossflow muffler, that way you can be quiet when cruising the interstate, and then open up and have the rasp-free true dual sound of the cutouts. A guy locally runs that setup, you would swear it was running true duals by how it sounds at WOT, but it's a dual cutout setup after the headers. This however is just my opinion

Unless of course you're looking for the weight savings of the duals, then scratch what I suggested
Old 05-13-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

i forgot about the whole idea of having some large quite mufflers back there instead of the resonators... so used to just using resonators
Old 07-10-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

If you're now considering having larger, quieter mufflers back there (after an X, I guessing?), which ones are you going to go with?

As everyone else said, it makes absolutely zero sense to have cutouts on a dual system that is running catless with resonators because there will be zero HP to be gained and not a ton of sound difference. I'd suggest having the duals fairly quiet with some larger mufflers and running cutouts if you want a difference in sound sometimes (seeing as you won't lose any HP through the mufflers).
Old 07-21-2006, 09:20 AM
Tech Resident

cats with a TD setup should still be very loud. think about it: putting a loudmouth on a stock car is still loud. that was a y-pipe setup, stock manifolds and choking stock cats. if you put on LT's, an x-pipe and high flow cats, it's going to be twice as loud as a loudmouth. it'll still be loud as hell. get the cats. it's only going to clean up the sound. as scotty said, cutouts = pointless on that setup.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Tech Resident

cats with a TD setup should still be very loud. think about it: putting a loudmouth on a stock car is still loud. that was a y-pipe setup, stock manifolds and choking stock cats. if you put on LT's, an x-pipe and high flow cats, it's going to be twice as loud as a loudmouth. it'll still be loud as hell. get the cats. it's only going to clean up the sound. as scotty said, cutouts = pointless on that setup.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

If you were to run dual cut-outs after the headers, but run a coupe of resonators after the X, the only "gain" you would see would be a louder idle. I installed my long-tube Pacesetters myself and ran open headers for a day or so waiting for the muffler shop to get ready for me to come in and weld up the rest of my system (Summit's universal X-pipe and two Dynomax Bullet Race Mufflers dumped before the axle). The only difference I found (between open headers and a X-pipe/resonator setup), was in sound. It was louder at idle and the sound came out under my feet (open headers) instead of the sound coming out under the rear seats now (X-pipe/resonator setup). But again, the only sound difference was at idle. The only time I found that the resonators were quieter was at idle. I mean it might be a little quieter when I give it some gas with the resonators on there, but not much quieter than open headers.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RrcoX22 where in the bay area are you from? I think I seen you??
Old 07-22-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

doing some grave diggin huh boys?

Originally Posted by spazzyfry123
I installed my long-tube Pacesetters myself and ran open headers for a day or so waiting for the muffler shop to get ready for me to come in and weld up the rest of my system (Summit's universal X-pipe and two Dynomax Bullet Race Mufflers dumped before the axle).
basically I've decided to go to a setup basically like yours... gonna have to run open headers for maybe a few days to a week and then having a custom true dual x pipe w/hi flow cats and two dynomax bullet mufflers dumped

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
RrcoX22 where in the bay area are you from? I think I seen you??
south bay as in los altos/mt. view area (highly doubt you've seen me as I've only seen about 3 f-bod's in 2 yrs. while driving my car )