Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers and lowered can dont go together

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 12:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers and lowered can dont go together

Just a couple of days ago I put pacesetter long tubes and a tsp ory on my car (2002 Camaro SS). I have the hal qa1 shocks/struts with the eibach prokit lowering springs on the car. The way the car sits I have trouble driving overy anything that is anything bet level/even ground. What are some suggestions on how to fix this. I can buy new springs, but I do not want to put the stock springs on. I want it to look like a sports car, not a 4x4. Suggestions would be great, thanks.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:17 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Work on getting the y-pipe riding better. I'd be willing to bet that the headers are not your problem, the y-pipe is.

Another option is to switch to the Pacesetter y-pipe. People have reported it to ride alot higher than the TSP ORY.

Do whatever you can to make it higher, beat it in, beat the floor in, tweak it for a few hours, etc.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Work on getting the y-pipe riding better. I'd be willing to bet that the headers are not your problem, the y-pipe is.

Another option is to switch to the Pacesetter y-pipe. People have reported it to ride alot higher than the TSP ORY.

Do whatever you can to make it higher, beat it in, beat the floor in, tweak it for a few hours, etc.
Your right, it is the tsp y pipe. Getting it to go over the trans cross over brace(whatever that thing is called) was a task in itself, also it is resting on the torque arm(I think thats what it is called) we had to mod the hell out of that thing for the pipes to go through it. Not really sure what to do about the problem besides take it somewhere to have something fabbed up for it.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

how often are you going to run into problems with scraping, unless you run into trouble with it daily i would leave it just the way it is even if you put the stock springs back in you are still going to hit in some places, i say you leave it just the way it is. it isnt worth the trouble of changing the y-pipe or springs. i say when you scrape you just grin and bare it, i have done so with my pacesetter, prokit setup for 2 years now and the sound and the look is well worth the occasional scrape here and there. the only places i scrape at are the same places i did at stock ride height. i say leave it alone!
Old 05-15-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

im lowered with the pacesetters lt's and ory and i have no problems
Old 05-15-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the TSP ORY and BMR lowering springs. I have never had any clearance issues with it, and Tulsa streets are not the greatest. If you can't get the ORY up high enough, I would look into the BMR or Hotchkis springs, they will give you enough drop to kill the 4x4 look but will give you much better clearance than the Eibachs.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

why doesn't everyone just get a custom y or true dual setup so it's tucked up really nice? instead of having problems with sponsor name's clearance
Old 05-15-2006, 04:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're having ground clreance issues then quite simply you've lowered your car too much.

These cars (no almost any car) doesn't need or want to be slammed to the deck, all it does is hinder performance by limiting shock travel. Cars have suspension for a purpose.

First off have a look and see what is scraping. If it's the Y pipe then try and get it to tuck up tighter. The use of a Muffler Y pipe hanger available from Thunder Racing may be benificial. However raising the Y pipe may cause it to hit the underside of the car, so fitting poly motor and tranny mounts is advisable, these are also available from Thunder Racing.

Last go speak with Sam Stano (---> a sponsor and an active member, usually in the handling forum). And explain what you really want from the car and he'll tell you what's possible and the best way to achieve it.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002ssls1
Just a couple of days ago I put pacesetter long tubes and a tsp ory on my car (2002 Camaro SS). I have the hal qa1 shocks/struts with the eibach prokit lowering springs on the car. The way the car sits I have trouble driving overy anything that is anything bet level/even ground. What are some suggestions on how to fix this. I can buy new springs, but I do not want to put the stock springs on. I want it to look like a sports car, not a 4x4. Suggestions would be great, thanks.

The Eibachs have a tendancy to sag a bit lower then they tell you. I had this problem with my first set(dropped 3" in the rear). This newer set seems to be better. I would change the springs and try a different y-pipe if I were you. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all of teh suggestions. If I were to try to adjust the spring boot on the front hal qa1 shocks, do you think that would help any?
Old 05-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all of the suggestions. If I were to try to adjust the spring boot on the front hal qa1 shocks, do you think that would help any?
Old 05-15-2006, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
If you're having ground clreance issues then quite simply you've lowered your car too much.

These cars (no almost any car) doesn't need or want to be slammed to the deck, all it does is hinder performance by limiting shock travel. Cars have suspension for a purpose.

Some people want the car to actually look good instead of like a truck, they should have come from the factory 2 inches lower then they are. Maybe you ought to tell the roadrace guys to put their factory springs/shocks back on because their expensive suspension is hindering their performance.

I have an eibach kit and pacesetter lt's with tsp true duals, and i can tell you i definately have clearance issues on any speed bumps or anything that is more then 2" high or so, but it wouldnt matter what exhaust I had. I had the same problem with my bassani. I just deal with it and scrape it on things, it is very annoying though, i see speed bumps and im like noooooo
Old 05-15-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by loreak
Some people want the car to actually look good instead of like a truck,
Well I guess looks are all in the eye of the beholder

they should have come from the factory 2 inches lower then they are.
But this is where the issues of ground clearance and ride height differ. 2" lower would mean zilch'o ground clearance not to mention limited suspension travel.

Maybe you ought to tell the roadrace guys to put their factory springs/shocks back on because their expensive suspension is hindering their performance.
A racetrack is NOT the street, and very few people would want to ride round in a car prepped for the track. You want to see how to setup a road going car take a look at rally cars past and present. Even for the tarmac events they are not slammed to the ground because they accept that suspension travel is important, hence the fact that suspension systems compose of shocks, struts, bushes and spings and NOT scafolding poles

But as with all things each to their own, if form is more important than functoin and you prefer to talk the talk rather than walk the walk then it is your choice and no others. I don't ride/drive your car so at the end of the day choices of others will not affect me, all I can do is offer advice (and my opinoin) when a question is posted in a public domain on a forum.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

any body have problems with pacesetter LT's and ORY w/ ridetech, just wondering, im not planning to drive with it dropped, when moving it will be at the highest setting (2 inches below stock), but i dont want to lower it at car shows and smash up mystuff...i dont ever plan to lay frame...
Old 05-15-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had the same problem with my intrax springs, it is the exhaust set up, , until i make my own true duals my car is on stock suspension
Old 05-15-2006, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

I have little to no clearance problems w/ my setup. I used to run TSP true duals until I installed a Lakewood DSL and then the duals were just to low. So I went to a Pacesetter off-road Y-pipe I had laying around and a 3'' catback w/ just a race bullet. Clearance could not be better. The sound is close to the same as the duals at idle, and still screams at WOT like the duals did. Only thing I do not like, is between 1000 rpm and 2000 rpm, it kinda raps, not a typical LS1 RASP, but raps a little, and I really do not like it. But all my friends that heard, like it.

Eibach Sportline springs in rear (2in. of drop)

Qa1 setup in front. (2 1/2 drop)

Old 05-15-2006, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

I'm running QTP all the way and I had the same problem, the y pipe stock install would have been ripped out within 4 miles. It was a terrible fit and I don't see how they could sell that as a basic install, I should have just made one from the scratch. There is an area under the car designed for the stock y pipe and most after market y pipes don't even come close to it. I had to cut some spots, expand the pipe where I needed it shorter, extend and add pipe and re-weld at certain points of the y pipe so that it would tuck up nice and even, it's not easy but it can be done.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Low-sagging Prokit + low hanging ORY = will scrape.

Either look into different springs or find a way to get that ORY up a bit more.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
Low-sagging Prokit + low hanging ORY = will scrape.

Either look into different springs or find a way to get that ORY up a bit more.
Going to Hot Rod week in Ocean city on Wednesday night, and if the exhaust is still connected by the time I get back then I will take care of it.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:54 AM
Launching!

take stock springs and cut a coil off of them