Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some smoke at WOT after header install & O/R pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some smoke at WOT after header install & O/R pipe?

Is this normal, I've noticed a puff of smoke right before the shift at 1-2 and 2-3 at WOT, it looks kinda blue, but my windows are tinted pretty good and it's hard to tell, the car also smells very rich or so I think it does?
Old 12-29-2002, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Some smoke at WOT after header install & O/R pipe?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by LS1JAY:
<strong> Is this normal, I've noticed a puff of smoke right before the shift at 1-2 and 2-3 at WOT, it looks kinda blue, but my windows are tinted pretty good and it's hard to tell, the car also smells very rich or so I think it does? </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Your car runs a little leaner now because it is breathing better, so at part throttle the ECM is richening it up (probably 15%-20% or so on LTFT's). When you floor it now, your ECm puts the normal amount of fuel in plus the 15%-20% that you get from being lean at part throttle. That is probably the smoke you are seeing - you can chaeck for black soot too around the tailpipes too.

Yo can fix it with a MAF translator or ls1edit. You should definitely use a scan tool, though, and best with a dyno.

Good Luck.

-Geoff
Old 12-29-2002, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the dual/dual stainless catback which I usually keep really clean by polishing, as of late (since the headers) they are just plain black with smutt and very hard to keep clean! before they would stay clean for a couple of weeks, now they are dirty after 1 day!
Old 12-31-2002, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone else have this problem? the smoke is not blue, I have checked a little bit better and it just looks like road dust, but it is smoke from the exhaust. it only happens at WOT in the higher RPM's.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Teching In

Mine does this also, I was on the freeway running with this rustang and I had to feather it into 4th(factory tune) and when I looked back I saw smoke, but car was good so I kept pullin on him. I also didn't notice it til after I put my headers on. Id say its pretty normal
Old 05-08-2011, 11:35 PM
Launching!

ls1 jay hasn't signed in since 2004
Old 05-09-2011, 04:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dopy
ls1 jay hasn't signed in since 2004
Lol bringing it back from the dead!
Old 05-09-2011, 05:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dead? you mean hell

Quick Reply: Some smoke at WOT after header install & O/R pipe?