Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers Into Y-pipe Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Headers Into Y-pipe Question

I will admit I dont know a whole lot about headers on our LS1 engines.But the more I am looking into putting some on the more confused I am getting.My first question is if you put headers on and then a y-pipe,isn't that defeating the purpose of headers by going right into 1 pipe again?
Old 05-23-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, that's how any exhust setup is. it would cost just too much to have each primary run to where ever you want to dump it off. collectors are used to equal out the air flow as well
Old 05-23-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, thanks for the info. Well I read all the Stickys up top and if I were to put some headers on my 2000 Firehawk which is basicly stock except for LM exhaust and lid,Is there a better Header setup so I wont have "other"issues.Like Engine light being on ,ETC....???
Old 05-23-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

The engine light is easily quieted with the use of simms or tuning, depending on what you want to do. If you want to keep the emissions equipment, buy the headers with all the fittings (AIR and EGR) hook up the plumbing, get a pair of sims, and you won't have a check engine light
If you want non emissions headers, you'll get the light, but like I said you can have the error codes tuned out
The off road or catted Y really makes no difference, you'll need the sims unless you get the catted y with rear o2 fittings
Any other questions just ask away
Old 05-23-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for that info too.What Im trying to do is keep the install as simple as possible and without as much modifying as possible.Because I have nobody in my area thats knows much about LS1's or work on them.So tuning my car wont happen.So I guess headers with the emissions is for me.Is there a better brand of headers and sims to buy for that type of setup?
Old 05-23-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Better as far what, hp or fit or looks
FWIW I have pacesetters on mine, they fit great, and, so far, look good
If you have the cash, you can get the kooks headers and Y, but they're ~$1400, but they are stainless, and will probably outlast the car
If your budget is tighter the Pacesetters and Y can be had for ~$500 from various sponsors (speed inc, byunspeed, tsp)you can get the simms from them too
The pacesetters can be had with a ceramic coating (recommend getting them coated), but like all mild steel items they will eventually rust
IMO you'd be well to think about either getting cats, or a different catback, as the LM is going to LOUD and raspy when you do headers (if you use an off road Y)
If you want to change the catback, and use an ORY, try the hooker or the SLP dual dual, they're both pretty quiet until you go WOT
Old 05-23-2006, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah,I of course want performance, looks, price.$1400 naw,Pacesetters sounds good.So if I use a non offroad Y would that be better? And how much performance can I expect from the headers?
Old 05-23-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

You can expect a 20-30 hp increase on average
You can use a catted Y but you may run into clearance problems (depending on what cats/pipe you use)
FWIW I went with an off road Y due to the potential for clearance problems (the local roads suck)
Search around and see what brand of catted Y gives the best clearance, and get that (it will also depend on if you've lowered the car, or plan to)
Old 05-23-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks.