Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electric cutouts

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric cutouts

i am about ready to purchase an electric cutout. there are two brands i was wanting to buy. one brand is quicktime performance, and the other is dmh. i just want to know which overall is the better one, how and why? it would be much appreciated from someone who knows a good deal on ls1's. i have a little knowledge, but probably not as much as anyone on here. but someone please let me know asap. thanx.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

DMH is better quality and havent heard anything bad about there electric cutouts, but as for QTP ive heard good and bad about them but i would just get the DMH.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:10 PM
Teching In

thanx for the advice. i was on ls1speed.com and those were the only two electric brands on there. one of my friends has a qtp electric cutout, they say it's the best. not to insult there intelligence, but there are people on this forum who probably know more tech wise. but thanx, my mind is at ease now.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

there is also the Mccord powerplate, its suppose to be just like the DMH brand and has a good warranty i believe. its about 40 bucks cheaper also than the DMH and QTP brand and ive heard good things about Mccord.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:58 AM
TECH Resident

Go with QTP. Better quaility and better support. You hear more about QTP good or bad because they have the most out there. Just pick up the phone and call each of them and see what you like. If the other 2 have a phone number or answer there phone. QTP also supports this site as well.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have McCord and know of several people who also have it and none of them have had any problems with them yet. The longest I know somebody has had it is close to two years now.

DMH? QTP? McCord? Doesn't really matter. They all have their pros and cons and there are people who have had bad luck with all of them. It pretty much boils down to your budget and brand preference. No matter which one you choose, you'll get a pretty good product.

TS
Old 05-24-2006, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a cutout. Mainly because I read so many fell apart after a year or less. The favorite here seems to be the QTP but I have read a lot of folks complaining about them falling apart. Sure QTP will fix them for like 35 bucks but it's a PITA to get them out and then I guess your suppose to drive around with a part missing from your exhaust until you get it back? Seems not to be worth the effort and expense IMHO.

I'd go with a cutout that uses the 3 bolts and a plate if you really want a cutout. Nothing to go wrong there. Not as convenient as just hitting a switch but nothing to break either. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

well the cutout comes with the cap so he already has that part, the only problem with electric cutouts is the motor seems to go bad. it could be bc water is getting in the electrical parts, but from what ive read about Mccord is they have a really good case protecting the motor and they also say there cutout wont leak. but who knows if thats the truth or not, but for the price and quality i would just go with Mccord its cheaper and built the same as DMH.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Go with the dmh on a stainless qtp cutout. With the qtp, the eletric plate is built into the exhaust cutout, so if it breaks or malfunctions then your going to have to have it removed from your exhaust and sent out to be repaired. With the dmh it simply bolts on inplace of the plain old block off plate. That way if it brakes you dont have to hack up your exhaust to get it out, simply unbolt the dmh plate and send it out. Thats the setup I have going in with my prc heads and kooks longtubes.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

Where can you buy these thing's for a decent prize!?
Old 05-24-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

you can get a 3 icnh stainless cutout from qtp for approx $45, then the dmh cutout is $189 off of summit's website. I dunno about the Mccord as I havent seen it in person but the dmh is top quality.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would go with DMH. I think the 4 year warranty speaks for itself. The cheapest I have seen it is off of their website for $199 with free shipping. I will be ordering one soon.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Go with the dmh on a stainless qtp cutout. With the qtp, the eletric plate is built into the exhaust cutout, so if it breaks or malfunctions then your going to have to have it removed from your exhaust and sent out to be repaired. With the dmh it simply bolts on inplace of the plain old block off plate. That way if it brakes you dont have to hack up your exhaust to get it out, simply unbolt the dmh plate and send it out. Thats the setup I have going in with my prc heads and kooks longtubes.

Just out of curiosity... How is this built into the cutout???

It is just bolted onto the flange on the cutout. Just remove the bolts and the plate w/motor comes off. No need to hack up your exhaust.

Same with the And costs much less than MDH and QTP.

But, like I said already, they all have had their problems, so it pretty much comes down to the person's own budget and brand preference.

Last edited by jrp; 05-25-2006 at 01:28 AM. Reason: non sponsor link
Old 05-24-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

The warranty is great as long as you can cap the cutout manually if the motor dies or comes apart on the highway and you need to send it back to the manufacturer. It would be my luck that the butterfly would get stuck open with no way to close it

How much HP do you guys think a cutout would add? I currently have a GMMG which I understand is pretty free flowing. Just curious. My car is mostly stock other than the few mods in my sig. I went back and forth for over a year on this issue and decided against the cutout but I'm still wondering if it would be worth it.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

QTP is $129

mccord is $140

DHM is $180

these are for my application of the borla exhaust.. what should I choose?

EDIT

ordered a mccord, better switch-construction and warrenty

Last edited by Gun5; 05-24-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:54 PM
12 Second Club

ive heard that u can really only get like a 5hp increase from installing one in the i-pipe, but i dont know from experience cause im on the fence myself and think i am going to go with catted headers cause you can get more bang for the buck, and ive also had guys at speed shops tell me that any electric cut-out will almost certainly leak and thus not pass emmisions so i really dont think they are worth it for the average street rodder, just my .02
Old 05-24-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Texfinn
Just out of curiosity... How is this built into the cutout???

It is just bolted onto the flange on the cutout. Just remove the bolts and the plate w/motor comes off. No need to hack up your exhaust.

Same with the And costs much less than MDH and QTP.

But, like I said already, they all have had their problems, so it pretty much comes down to the person's own budget and brand preference.

Wow I stand corrected. I swore the qtp cutout I saw had the end cap welded onto the cutout...my bad, go with any of the 3 then. Im still gonan go with the dmh myself as I havent heard of a ton of issues with them.

Last edited by jrp; 05-25-2006 at 01:29 AM. Reason: non sponsor link
Old 05-24-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

mccord to my door (in texas) for $129 ill tell you guys in a week how it is
Old 05-24-2006, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had a DMH and hated it, it leaked alot and the butterfly rattled, i sent it back they replaced it, and the new one didnt rattle but still leaked.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Gun 5 i think you have the Mccord power plate and QTP prices mixed up, Mccord powerplate is the cheapest on the market.