Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longtubes are on, but car won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luna
I'll be very interested to see whats wrong here, my money says you have no spark for whatever reason.
Yup, I'm pretty sure that's the problem too. We tested it last night and couldn't get spark. Today, we tried it again and couldn't get spark either.

Just not sure why.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you make sure the coil pack brackets are bolted down? That is how they ground on the 99s and up, or so I'm told...
Old 05-24-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Luna
Did you make sure the coil pack brackets are bolted down? That is how they ground on the 99s and up, or so I'm told...
We never removed or unbolted them to begin with, so they should be okay still. I'm pretty sure we've checked them anyways.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

02 extensions (a 12'' and a 24'') were ordered today, so that's one problem fixed....
Old 05-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Teching In

If you have no spark check the crank sensor. Electronic ignitions need that signal to trigger the the coils. On many efi cars fuel delivery is dependant on an rpm signal as well. Like outlawz racing said there will be no dtc stored unless the engine lost the crank signal sporadically while running or if the sensor is unplugged alltogether.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Scotty-Z]That's what I thought too. I disconnected the sensor in the rear of the car that detects motion and such because I thought VATS might be pissed at me. Used a spare key and tried starting her then and she didn't work.
QUOTE]

Does this work? I never heard of doing that. Ive always just measured the resistance in the resistor on the key. THen bought a resistor that ohm. Then found the two white wires under the dash cut them then spliced the resistor in between them to by pass VATS.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Well, the car was trailered down the highway by my buddies and I tonight to the Chevy dealer where my mechanic friend works. Tomorrow morning before work, we're going to hook it up to a diagnostics-type of scanner that reads signals and electrical charges and scans various systems of the car. Should know tommorrow what's wrong with it... hopefully.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:09 AM
Launching!

Hope you get it figured out, and it is not something huge that you have to fix. Good Luck.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

Alrighty guys. Got the car pushed up onto a trailer last night with my buddies and we took her down the highway to the dealership and unloaded her. I get there this morning at 7:00 and my buddy is already in the car with the scanning tool, going over everything and checking codes. He was using GM's Tech 2 scanner, which is a damn fine tool if you ask me. Kind of like our hand-held programmers, but about 10 inches tall and does a million times more things.

Told us everything we needed to know. The engine temp sensor (that I replaced yesterday) wasn't getting a good wire connection and was therefore telling the car that it was sitting at -38 degrees. A little wiggling and prying got it back up to air temperature at 77 degrees. So he's just going to play with the connection on that and see if he can't get the wires to hold better. Also, the crank sensor wasn't getting proper signal, so he's going to check the wiring on that as well and possibly just replace the sensor. Basically, everything that was a problem was something that we'd looked at or fixed, but just wouldn't be able to tell if it was properly working without the use of this tool. If everything problem-wise stays this minor, the car should be back up and running by this afternoon.

Thanks again for everyone's help!
Old 05-25-2006, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

I was beginning to wonder if your car just didn't like you! I hope you get it fired up this afternoon! Good Luck man!
Old 05-25-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by My2ndls1
I was beginning to wonder if your car just didn't like you! I hope you get it fired up this afternoon! Good Luck man!
Just talked to my buddy and he said that he replaced the plug and sensor for the Crank Sensor (I think that's what he said, he called when I was sleeping ). He said he replaced those, tightened up the wiring on the Engine Temp sensor, and she fired right up. I owe that guy a ton.

Time to go pick up the car and drive it around with my full exhaust!
Old 05-25-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think you'll love the way it sounds with the LT's, ORY, and SLP DD. If it's a little raspy for you, stall it. It takes 90% of the rasp out because the engine isn't loaded as much.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
Just talked to my buddy and he said that he replaced the plug and sensor for the Crank Sensor (I think that's what he said, he called when I was sleeping ). He said he replaced those, tightened up the wiring on the Engine Temp sensor, and she fired right up. I owe that guy a ton.

Time to go pick up the car and drive it around with my full exhaust!
That's Awesome!!

I'd like to see what you think about the sound when you get it back. With my cutout closed, mine's actually very quiet.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gearhead1
I think you'll love the way it sounds with the LT's, ORY, and SLP DD. If it's a little raspy for you, stall it. It takes 90% of the rasp out because the engine isn't loaded as much.
I do indeed like the way it sounds right now. Definitely has some rasp to it, but I had already planned to put another catback on it. I have my brand new 2OTL muffler here and the tips (which I had to purchase with another muffler, so I have one to sell now) should be here soon. I like the rumble and smoother tone that the 2OTL provides on LTs with an ORY. But I do indeed like the Dual/Dual with LTs as well. Very tolerable.
Originally Posted by My2ndls1
That's Awesome!!

I'd like to see what you think about the sound when you get it back. With my cutout closed, mine's actually very quiet.
Yes, upon startup, I thought "Wow, that's louder than I expected". But upon the idle smoothing out and the car warming up, it really quieted down. Quite mellow during normal driving, but sounds great at WOT.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad to hear she's running again. Just out of curiousity, is there a post anywhere as to why you sold your 2000 to get the 2002?
Old 05-25-2006, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99SSragtop
Did you disconnect the engine temp plug? If that is un plugged it won't start. It is located by #1 plug.
i had this same problem, my car wouldn't start and finally i realized the temp plug was disconnected
Old 05-25-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
Yes, upon startup, I thought "Wow, that's louder than I expected". But upon the idle smoothing out and the car warming up, it really quieted down. Quite mellow during normal driving, but sounds great at WOT.
I just put some Jet Hot long tubes on my SS with the SLP CME exhaust on the car and it sounds GREAT !!! Nice smooth low tone when driving and cruising around, but a REAL BIG difference at WOT !!!
Old 05-25-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Strahley
Glad to hear she's running again. Just out of curiousity, is there a post anywhere as to why you sold your 2000 to get the 2002?
He got a great deal on it and it has less miles and is newer. Also, the color is bad-***.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Scott, I don't think the 2OTL is going to sound less raspy once you get it on. (although I hope I'm wrong) The intensity of the rasp is determined greatly by how much load the engine sees. Mine was raspy to the point of frustration (it was my 4th exhaust) until I stalled it. That took a lot of the rasp out because it wasn't seeing as much load under normal driving conditions.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fire-formula 93
He got a great deal on it and it has less miles and is newer. Also, the color is bad-***.
Exactly. This one was a color I wanted, had 23k miles compared to 46k on my red one, leather interior, smelled new still.

Originally Posted by Gearhead1
Scott, I don't think the 2OTL is going to sound less raspy once you get it on. (although I hope I'm wrong) The intensity of the rasp is determined greatly by how much load the engine sees. Mine was raspy to the point of frustration (it was my 4th exhaust) until I stalled it. That took a lot of the rasp out because it wasn't seeing as much load under normal driving conditions.
From what I've heard of the LTs, ORY, 2OTL setups, they're surprisingly less raspy. The muffler is not only the best flowing on the market (well, not anymore since SLP discontinued it), but really mellows things down with a smooth tone. I'll throw it on there and see how it sounds. If I don't like it, I'll come back to the Dual/Dual. I go through exhausts too.