Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longtubes are on, but car won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Longtubes are on, but car won't start...

My headers came in at 4:00 today, my buddy (who is a hell of a mechanic) and I started installing them at right around 7:00 and they were on and everything bolted back up by 10:00 tonight.

Only problem is that the car won't start. It will turn over, but for some reason it doesn't have spark. We checked the coil packs, starter, plugs, wires, crank sensor, and fuses. Nothing is out of place, wrong, cut, clamped, etc.

The only other thing we can think of is that the front 02s are not hooked up. The 02 sensors on my 2000 Z28 didn't need extensions, but this one does and I don't have them, so I didn't hook them up. The car doesn't need those to start, does it?

What else could be wrong from a simple LT installation?
Old 05-24-2006, 12:09 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol, you need the extensions.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Lol, you need the extensions.
This will cause the car not to start? If so, we had no idea.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you CAN just use the extension "kit" that comes with the pacesetters if you dont want to wait for extensions. Thats what I did
Old 05-24-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Luna
you CAN just use the extension "kit" that comes with the pacesetters if you dont want to wait for extensions. Thats what I did
Yeah, that just involves splicing the wires and such, correct?
Old 05-24-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Scotty, I've got one extension that I used for the drivers side on my car. It's homemade (soldered wires and shrink tubing) but I used it for a year and a half without problems. You're welcome to have it if you wish. Also, I just unclipped and rerouted my passenger side O2 wires and they reached after that. Are you going to have Josh delete the rears??
Old 05-24-2006, 12:14 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In some cases it might have a weird effect that could cause that. I had one come un plugged and the car went bezerk and died. I could not get it to start until I i got it up on jacks and plugged it back in. to my dismay the clip was annihilated.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

You guys want to help me install my LTs??
I'd like to hear your car with the 2OTL with pacesetters.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

That's odd. None of my buddies or I had ever heard of that.

I'll see if I can get some 02 extensions tomorrow from a local shop or Speed Inc.

Originally Posted by BatmobileSS
You guys want to help me install my LTs??
I'd like to hear your car with the 2OTL with pacesetters.
Right now it still has the Dual/Dual on it (because I'm still waiting for part of my 2OTL system to get shipped here from some guy on Ebay). I don't care which catback is on it at this point, I just want to start it and drive it.

When I get the 2OTL on it, I'll get some clips up.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
Yeah, that just involves splicing the wires and such, correct?

Yea, I really didn't want to do it to mine, but I forgot to order extensions and I was just way too excited to wait for them.

Just make sure you tape them up good and don't let em sit on the headers and its no problem.

Also, do it one wire at a time since alot of them are the same color.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:56 AM
TECH Resident

The car can start without the O2 sensors. I just now finished installing my Pacesetters and I didn't feel like splicing them right now, so I have no O2's in and am running open headers. I also just took it around the block. Sure, it ran like total ****, but it still ran!
Old 05-24-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

Must be something else then. We took the 02s and hooked one up to each spot. Left them dangling, but hooked them up (should just be reading the garage air) and it still wouldn't start.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
Must be something else then. We took the 02s and hooked one up to each spot. Left them dangling, but hooked them up (should just be reading the garage air) and it still wouldn't start.

Did you by any remote chance hit the crank sensor??? I did and for the life of me my girls car would not start. It did not even throw a code, I trouble shot the **** out of it about 3 hours worth If its turning over and your sure your getting fuel and spark then I will check that sensor. If you moved the engine around like some people do when they install long tubes(ME) then it is remote chance its that
Old 05-24-2006, 09:22 AM
12 Second Club

Did you disconnect the engine temp plug? If that is un plugged it won't start. It is located by #1 plug.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

just what I was going to say.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Did you by any remote chance hit the crank sensor??? I did and for the life of me my girls car would not start. It did not even throw a code, I trouble shot the **** out of it about 3 hours worth If its turning over and your sure your getting fuel and spark then I will check that sensor. If you moved the engine around like some people do when they install long tubes(ME) then it is remote chance its that
We did indeed check that and my buddy said it looked to be just fine.

Originally Posted by 99SSragtop
Did you disconnect the engine temp plug? If that is un plugged it won't start. It is located by #1 plug.
That's what we're currently working on. It somehow got partially broken (the connector piece that holds a good seal on the plastic part). We plugged it back in last night, but we're thinking that maybe it isn't getting a good read or isn't working right. He picked one up from the dealer for me and I'm going to go get it and give it a shot here today when I get back from the doctor's office.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Changed the engine temp plug to a brand new one.... still nothing. Disconnected the VATS system and tried the spare key... nothing. Re-checked all the fuses again... nothing.

WTF is wrong with this car?
Old 05-24-2006, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

did u disconnect any wires leading to the battery. maybe u didnt put the wire back on the battery nice and tight. that happened to me. i disconnected the ground wire and when i went back to connect it i forgot to tighten it, i jus did it hand tight. after i tightened it with the socket wrench, all was well.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

How about the fuel lines? Just throwing ideas around.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

yea do you have fuel pressure @ the rails ? Check the voltage on the battery ? Make sure you didn't disconnect any of the wires connecting the coil packs or injectors.

Also, make sure the coil brackets are bolted to the valve covers as I BELIEVE that it how they ground themselves. You could also get one of those lights that you ground and stab a wire with ( Idunno what its called) to check the plug wires to make sure you are getting spark.

The fact that you are not getting any codes makes me think its something simple like fuel, power or spark.