Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another true dual question (yes, I tried search...)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Yet another true dual question (yes, I tried search...)

I didn't find exactly what I was looking for in the search results I got, so I thought I'd ask the question and hope for the best.

I am going to get duals, a local shop is going to fab me some up whenever I decide what mufflers I want to run.

That is where I am having my problems.

I want the "tone" and "sound" of duals without the volume. Does that make sense?

What I was thinking is either

(A) Having 2 chamber flows (I know they're "junk", but I do love the sound, and that's what I am after) mounted behind the axle.

(B) Having 2 sets of "bullet-style" mufflers to help reduce the sound. Again, I know it's heavier and will restrict flow more, but my main concern is the tone and sound.

(C) Having a combination of, for example, a bullet muffler and a 1 chamber flow.

Has anybody tried any of these or know what I could expect from these setups?

Thanks in advance!
Taco

BTW, I will be keeping the cats on the car for now.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you're going to remove your cats eventually, why wait?? Do it all now and same yourself some money in the long run. Sound quality is a very subjective subject. What I may think sounds great, you may think sounds like ***. I went through 4 different exhaust systems before I found the sound that was pleasing to me. Most F-Body guys say it's too quiet. My wife says it's too loud. (along with some of my neighbors) But, it doesn't matter what they think. Because when it comes down to it, I'm the final judge.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Duals don't have to be loud, it's a total mis-conception that they are louder than catbacks.

Sure if you only run small bullet mufflers and dump before the axle then it will be loud and appear even more so in the cabin due to where the exhaust is exiting.

But most V8 engined cars llike Mustang's, Vettes, Jagaurs, BMW's, Mercedes all run duals as standard and are all very quiet. All you need to do is run the correct number/type of mufflers for your application.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

What 300bhp/ton said makes sense. If you're looking for a quiet exhaust system, usually the larger cased mufflers are the quietest and have the deepest tones. I've always preferred the Dynomax Ultraflow Welded Race Magnum's myself. (Bet you can't say that fast 5 times!! ) They're a straight through design, they flow a TON of air and they sound good. They've got the flow numbers listed on their website. http://www.dynomax.com/ While you're there, check out the Ultraflow X, it may be just what you're looking for.

Last edited by Gearhead1; 05-24-2006 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:49 AM
10 Second Club

They unfortunaly didn't design the F-body with duals in mind so the room for putting on mega large mufflers with 4 Cats is not an option. For a decently quite dual exhaust, just run it out the back and put the mufflers (I have heard both the Magnaflow and Borla) in the back as well. I have heard the same two mufflers on dumped cars and it is louder but not to bad and sounded great. If you still want it quieter, you can add some high flow cats to calm it down a bit. my .02

Dan
Old 05-24-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Longtubes+3 inch ORX+18inch dynomax bullets+dumped= Awesome

I love my exhaust. I no longer envy mustangs in the least.

The best part is....it was less than 300 dollars including labor for my dual set-up, and it is mandrel bent.

If you want it quiter and a little more classy/deep...which I think you are looking for...ditch the cats, run some bullets before the axle and some other mufflers, or even two more bullets of your choice in the rear.
But be warned...it is going to cost you to take them out the rear.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

If you want a civil system then you'll want it out the back and over the axle. Unless you are planning on near 600rwhp 2.5" tubing will work fine.

I'd also run a H pipe cross over as opposed to an X pipe if you want the deeper sound, performance difference is pretty negligible between them but they do sound quite different.

I'd also stick to one type of muffler for the system, personally I like the chambered style of muffler GMMG use. A company called Classis Chambered (use Google to find them) sells a version called Powerstick, they are only available in aluminiumized steel, if you want stainless you'll have to go to Stainless Works (a sponsor --->) but they cost quite a bit more.

The advantage of these mufflers is locating them, you could easily run one per bank in the I pipe section and then run another one per bank after the axle in the same configuration that GMMG does.

Flow master 10 series mufflers also sound great and you could use these either for dumps or after the axle, not sure how loud it would be with only one muffler per bank, I don't think you'd be able to fit them before the axle if you are wanting over the axle due to space limitations and the fact that when going over the axle you'll need to run both banks down the same side of the car as opposed to one each side.

Bullet mufflers like Borla XR-1's or Magnaflows are another easy option and will sound good. You'd probably have to have these arranged similar to the Flows.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The shop quoted me $330 for from-the-cats-back, under the axle, out the rear with all bolts, hangers and my choice of bullet style mufflers. Not mandrel bent and not stainless.

I am just trying to decide what type muffler to go with. I can get a great price on the moroso spiral flows, which I really like the sound of. I also like the sound of 2 chamber flows, but I know it's going to be harder to find space for them as opposed to a bullet style.

The sound I want is deep, deep DEEP! Imagine a mildly cammed big block with headers and flowmaster race mufflers...

I know my LS1 with stock manifolds won't be able to reproduce that sound. I just want as close as I can get.

What about Dynomax bullets inline before the axle and then the spiral flows behind the axle?

Keep the info coming!
Taco
Old 05-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Banned

I have four magnaflow bullets on my true duals.. and I LOVE IT.

Sounds SIIIIIIIIIIIICK. Wot is A PISSED OFF VETTE!
Old 05-24-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

magnaflow mufflers, nothing sounds better with duals IMO and is very quiet yet flows absurdly well.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Taco
The shop quoted me $330 for from-the-cats-back, under the axle, out the rear with all bolts, hangers and my choice of bullet style mufflers. Not mandrel bent and not stainless.

I am just trying to decide what type muffler to go with. I can get a great price on the moroso spiral flows, which I really like the sound of. I also like the sound of 2 chamber flows, but I know it's going to be harder to find space for them as opposed to a bullet style.

The sound I want is deep, deep DEEP! Imagine a mildly cammed big block with headers and flowmaster race mufflers...

I know my LS1 with stock manifolds won't be able to reproduce that sound. I just want as close as I can get.

What about Dynomax bullets inline before the axle and then the spiral flows behind the axle?

Keep the info coming!
Taco
Space is your limiting factor, use the search and have a look at some of the dual setups posted on this site.

Most people run both pipes next to each other along the same side of the propshaft, this means there's not a lot of room for mufflers. Powersticks fit really well though.

If you go for dumps then you simply run each pipe on each side of the car, but there generally isn't enought room to go over the axle on the drivers side which is why people run the pipes together when going over the axle.

As I said before go for a H pipe don't let people talk you out of it, if it's a deep old school sound you're really after.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am going to go under the axle, not over, so one pipe on each side will still work fine.

The guys at the shop put it on the rack and looked at it for about 45 minutes while discussing different options.

They were confident the under the axle setup would be simple and leave plenty of clearance.

So, in that case, the 2 before-2 after muffler setup would be feasible and only marginally more expensive. Price is still a VERY LIMITING factor for me, that's why I am going under the axle. It has to be out the rear, period.

An H-pipe sounds good, I know the X supposedly generates more torque down low because of some scientific jargon which baffles my brain says so. I can't hook as it is, so that will be ok with me.

I know it is something like sacrilige, but mustangs run h-pipes and 2 chambers and sound awesome, so an h-pipe will do just fine!

Which magnaflow mufflers are quiet? Can somebody link me to them?

Thanks again, please keep it coming!
Taco
Old 05-24-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Any of the magnaflow mufflers are pretty tame. They give a nice mellow growl at idle and sound awesome at WOT. Here is a link to summit racing with all the magnaflow mufflers. Pretty much you need to decide whether you want an oval muffler or a rectangular one for your setup as it will have an affect on where you can place it as well as what diameter piping you will be using. Here you go:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...711+115+400636

Again in my experience all of them are pretty tame so just choose whichever one fits your application best.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks!

Good info there!

Taco
Old 05-24-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've heard that the Borla XR-1 mufflers are about the quitest "bullet" style muffler available...but they aren't cheap.
The Magnaflow Magnapacks are considerably cheaper and almost as quiet. They have a 4" round case and muffle well for a bullet.
MY recommendation is to go out the back with 3" pipes and into 3" Magnapacks located where the stock tailpipes were. That will be fairly quiet and will help keep the cost down. The 3" pipes will be better for the crush bending process and will also help deepen the exhaust note.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

You have a part number for the 3" magnaflow round muffler? One is not listed in Summit.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Magnaflow's website is the best place to find their part numbers. If Summit doesn't have them, then there's a ton of other places that do, just Google the Magnaflow PN and you'll find a lot.

I built my duals with Magnaflow 4x9 oval mufflers, 2.5" pipe over the axle, with LT's, an X-pipe, and no cats. You can find my thread with pictures of the muffler mounting by searching for threads I have started in the exhaust section (there's not many of them). The "full" mufflers and pipes out the back make this setup pretty tame, which is good because I don't like a loud exhaust. Knowing that you're going out the back and still have stock manifolds, you could probably choose any decent muffler and still get the sound you want. Magnaflow also has a round (5 or 6 inch diameter) that I've seen mounted in the same location as mine, which would also work well.