Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast 90/90 Falling on it's face:(

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fast 90/90 Falling on it's face

Have a friend with a '99 T/A ported heads, Cam roughly 242/248 .610+ lift 114+2 LSA, and 3600 stall/3.73's. He's thinks he's eliminated tuning as a problem....but launching...it totally falls on it's face until he hit's second, then it's pulls like a SOB. Does going from an LS6 to the FAST 90/90...require a higher stall, different cam? He thinks it's the manifold...but I think maybe a vac leak or the tune...hisses like a **** and doesn't idle for ****. The reason I think maybe the tune as well is because he's one of those guys that doesn't believe in dyno tunes The problems he has are under load...which is why he should stop getting second hand tunes from people who says it works! In my experiance every engine is different...why would you cut yourself short! Get the damn thing on a dyno, and find the problem Anyway...what are your thoughts guys.

Last edited by Rabidbandit; 05-28-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hissing and a poor idle could very well indicate a vacum leak. dyno tune is the only way to go at this point AFTER the leak is fixed
Old 05-28-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think he has too much cam and not enuff stall. another thing is the 90mm fast TB might be leaking and sucking in air other than where its supposed to. i have that problem right now, FAST was supposed to be fixing them but i think theres still problems with them, ppl began switching to the Nick Williams TB, spray the around the TB to find the leak with wd40...(this is what i did) this can really be a problem in idling. and look into a bigger converter
Old 05-28-2006, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

He has the Nick Williams TB...I'll check for leaks and see what happens I guess the next step.....4000+ stall....there goes streetability
Old 05-28-2006, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the car to a shop that does tuning and have it tuned by someone who knows what they are really doing
Old 05-28-2006, 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by thechef
get the car to a shop that does tuning and have it tuned by someone who knows what they are really doing
^^^ NOW!!!
Old 05-29-2006, 01:09 AM
TECH Junkie

If its hissing fix the damn vacuum leak. lol
Old 05-29-2006, 07:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Christ! Its Ovbious The Fast Dosent Make That Big Of A Difference If He Ddint Have The Prob Before The Intake It Has To Be The Intake Not To Mention The Strange Hissing Noise And Bad Idle Which Are Telltale Signs Of An Intake Leak.. Did Your Freind Follow The Tq Sequence On The Manifold ?
Old 05-29-2006, 10:45 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rabidbandit
.hisses like a **** and doesn't idle for ****.
Sounds like a major vacuum leak. Some things to check:

1) When you install the FAST intake you need to push the front LS6 coolant line downward to allow the the front, bottom of the intake to clear. This will allow the intake to seat properly on the heads. Also look at the front of the intake to make sure both sides of the intake are seated on the heads evenly.

2) Check the TB to intake area for leaks. Should be no gaps between the two surfaces. Also make sure the very top bolt (12 O'clock position) is installed and seated correctly.

3) The FAST intake has no clip to hold the MAP sensor in place like the OEM intakes, so you need to fab up a bracket to hold it in place. Some just cake RTV sealant. I just created a "L" bracket by extending the most rear intake bolt upward and adding a small metal bracket to extend over the MAP sensor which is held in place when the bolt is tightened down.

Another tip; The NW TB has no hole drilled in the blade so you need to really open up the blade with the set screw. I remove the bellows so I can visually check it.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
If its hissing fix the damn vacuum leak. lol

Fix the vacuum leak
Old 05-30-2006, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

Hopefully you didn't overtorque the bolts and crack the intake...worse case scenario. Maybe the intake is uneven on the heads...check placement. Could be an injector o-ring. My advice would be to take the intake back off and inspect all gaskets as well as the intake.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Definately needs to be dyno tuned with that setup... if anything at least dyno it to see how the combo looks on paper so you can see if there are any valvetrain issues, A/F ratio, ect and adjust from there.

Additionally, once the tune is good and leaks fixed (if any) most of the falling on its face is probably coming from the cam/stall combo. I had a 242/250 .612/.612 on a 109LSA installed on my previous SS and it did pretty much the same as you mentioned.... falls on its face on take off (I was launching with slicks off a 2 step at 6500 and had 4.30 gears in a 12 bolt ) but pulls like a raped ape once into second and definately through 3rd, 4th. Just the nature of the beast running an M6 with that size of cam.

A cam of similar size, as your friends is, has a very high power band and wont perform well unless its there (obviously). Depending on what brand of stall he's got, chances are its not enough for that cam.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LETHL_ZO6
Definately needs to be dyno tuned with that setup... if anything at least dyno it to see how the combo looks on paper so you can see if there are any valvetrain issues, A/F ratio, ect and adjust from there.

Additionally, once the tune is good and leaks fixed (if any) most of the falling on its face is probably coming from the cam/stall combo. I had a 242/250 .612/.612 on a 109LSA installed on my previous SS and it did pretty much the same as you mentioned.... falls on its face on take off (I was launching with slicks off a 2 step at 6500 and had 4.30 gears in a 12 bolt ) but pulls like a raped ape once into second and definately through 3rd, 4th. Just the nature of the beast running an M6 with that size of cam.

A cam of similar size, as your friends is, has a very high power band and wont perform well unless its there (obviously). Depending on what brand of stall he's got, chances are its not enough for that cam.
4:30's in an m6 and your car fell on its face ? Sounds like you were running too tall of a tire.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
4:30's in an m6 and your car fell on its face ? Sounds like you were running too tall of a tire.
sure does...
Old 05-31-2006, 04:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
FWIW, It was a 26/10.5/15
Old 05-31-2006, 10:47 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpr5690
Christ! Its Ovbious The Fast Dosent Make That Big Of A Difference If He Ddint Have The Prob Before The Intake It Has To Be The Intake Not To Mention The Strange Hissing Noise And Bad Idle Which Are Telltale Signs Of An Intake Leak.. Did Your Freind Follow The Tq Sequence On The Manifold ?
Why tf Did You Capitalize Every First Letter?
anyway sounds like a vacuum leak as suggested by everyone. Either a vacuum line or the intake is sucking air. Its either or. Get the leak fixed and then you can tune it.
Now as far as tuning goes he isnt going to get a descent tune unless someone does some logging to see that the hell is going on and makes adjustments from there. Most people will use a dyno for this. But you can log while you drive. A mustang is the better of the two as it puts a "load" on which simulates real world driving to the car. Dyno jets only tune for WOT. Without a proper tune his car will never see its full potential.