Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something looks off???

Old 06-02-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something looks off???

well when i went out to my car and popped the hood i was just looking around the engine bay and checking out the brake booster hose and followed it back to find a hose from the back of the passsenger side valve cover or the rear PCV hose is cut in half and just hangs behind the intake, it has two lines running through it to a bigger hose that is the part that is cut. My question is is this normal??? was that part of the AIR system?? b/c on the drivers side valve cover where it looks like the oil filler neck except its just a little plastic nipple part, that is capped off, b/c i remember capping that when we were installing headers and pulling the AIR system out. could this be the cause of my weird idle and was i suppose to block this hose off????
Old 06-02-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

It has two hard hoses in it that goes to a bigger rubber hose that connects to that L shaped part on the back of the valve cover, nothin is leaking out of it but just want to know if i was suppose to block that off or what???
Old 06-02-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont suppose you could snap a couple pictures
Old 06-02-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

i was but dont have my digital camera its at my other house, but i bet if you go look out at your engine by just look at the passenger side valve cover and the PCV part or whatever its called tube that goes behind the intake manifold and see how yours is if you have long tubes and deleted AIR.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds to me like you capped off the drivers side of the pcv system and you now have an open part, which would cause a vacuum leak=weird idle
Old 06-02-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

I dont have anything left of the air system. As for the PCV system, it starts at the back driver side, runs around the back of the intake manifold, then it splits, one plastic goes into the rear connector on the pass side valve cover, the other runs into the pcv and then to the intake. The forward valve cover connection goes to the rubber fresh air tube which hooks onto the throttle body connector. HTH
Old 06-02-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

so do you think i need to buy a longer tube and connect the passenger side to the drivers side??? and would that be the two tube thing??? it has to two metal tubes and one looks like it runs to the valve cover adn the other might go to something else, will someone maybe take a pic and show me what theres looks like???
Old 06-02-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Take a look here. Click the pictures to enlarge. It should cover whichever lines youre specifically asking about:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5
Old 06-02-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

i cant see the line on the back of the drivers side valve cover
Old 06-02-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

ive been runnin like this for awhile and i thought something was odd after the header install, i knew something wasnt right about that side valve cover being blocked off and the other side has a line that is cut in half just sittin behind the intake manifold.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

well i found out some more great news while i was getting that piece out, the selinoid part of the PCV system was broken and the hose that connected the hose to the PCV selinoid is melted, so on top of that i have to get a new one of those as well. such a great day!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

PCV dosnt have a solenoid. Are you talking about teh AIR system? Or maybe the EVAP system?
Old 06-02-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

well maybe its not a selinoid but a valve thing, its right by the fuel injectors in the line of the PCV system running to the intake manifold. it is a cylinder thing with a nipple on it to connect to the remaining hose that goes to the intake manifold. i dotn know if its messed up but the rubber housing it was in is melted and wasnt connected when i took it off, i think this is the whole reason my idle has been weird and erratic.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks to Joshua or better known as FIREHAWK#608, gave me great information about the PCV system and i will be basically running a 3/8 inch tube from valve cover to valve cover in the back and a breather in the oil filler tube to let the eninge breath and finally declutter the engine some more to make it easier to work on. so i want to thank Joshua once again and say he knows his stuff about these cars.

Search this Thread