Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust for C5 with a 402? 3" or 2.5"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust for C5 with a 402? 3" or 2.5"?

I've already got Stainless Works 1 3/4" long tube headers. I want to get a Random Tech x-pipe with high flow cats. There are two versions, one is 3" all the way back, and the other starts out 3", goes to 2.75" after the cats, and then ends up at 2.5" at the flange, to bolt to the 2.5" stock C5 exhaust.

Everybody and their brother makes a 2.5" muffler for the C5, so I've got lots of options if I go that route. If I do 3" all the way back though, AFAIK it's only Random Tech and Stainless Works, and both are $900-$1000. I really don't want the car any louder, but I'll put up with some more noise, just so I won't be choking the engine. As opposed to some guys who *like* the noise, and will buy the loudest thing they can get.

The quietest option (and the cheapest) is to get the 3"->2.5" x-pipe, and somebody's old Z06 Titanium exhaust. Next quietest would be Corsa touring, also 2.5". There's lots of other 2.5" systems, some of them really loud. How do the Stainless Works or Random Tech 3" compare, noise-wise? Are there any other 3" options?

Thanks,
Miles