Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 z71 help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2005 z71 help

So a little back story. First I never rebuilt an engine so I'm lost on all the technical language but i have replaced parts on cars amd know how to torque them rught by reading the manuals. Well my brother passed away 6 months ago and he had an 05 z71 that was sitting because the motor had a hole in the block. This truck had a l33 in it with 799 heads. I want to get the truck running in remembrance of him. I know the l33 is aluminum block and they are hard to find with a big price tag. So since money is very tight I had a friend give me an iron block lm7 which looks exactly the same. Will everything mount up to this block (799 heads, crankshaft, cam ect)? I am going to replace all seals, gaskets, piston rings, hone the piston walls, crank and cam bearings. The lm7 block has a cam and crank in it but I think the l33 had different ones so I'm going to use the can, crank and pistons from the l33 unless there's a reason not to. Any and all comments welcome in helping me achieve my goal on getting my brothers old truck back to life. Thank you.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

It totally sounds possible if you can work it. Google lm7 l33 swap ton of info you have alot of reading to do if you haven't worked on mechanical and possibly some minimal electrical experience. Also another power term when googling is vs! I'm sure some more people will chime in along your journey of what's and where's hopefully not whens unless you go performance and need to time it 😁 I've rebuilt 3 engines I know ones still running and I almost ruined my first engine luckily didn't on the startup had no clue what LS preload was And the ei/oc method I think it is which helps place the cam on its base circle I'm hopefully going to have my truck running today or tomorrow waiting on UPS. I'll post a video of it goes well. Also there's the Gen III internal engine threads this would be more suited for with photos!!! Welcome here btw

Last edited by Guy with a Chevy; 02-07-2023 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:50 AM
Launching!

Did you possibly join another forum where your getting help?
Old 02-09-2023, 10:04 AM
Teching In

No this is the only website I joined for advise. I looked at others and this one had the best information from everyone.
Old 02-09-2023, 10:20 AM
Launching!

I was just surprised no one else responded to your post. Also wanted to say almost all of it can be re used from what I know the 2nd gen to 4th gen I believe use the same cam journal. I would really like to hear about you getting it running! Also how do I register?
Old 02-09-2023, 10:49 AM
Teching In

I had one person from a different thread I made on here give some pretty solid advice. Was also hoping for more insight. I will keep everyone posted in how it comes out.
The following users liked this post:
strutaeng (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 08:20 PM
Launching!

I can give it a run through maybe read over 10 swaps and let you know what I think in a quick paragraph hopefully without being super technical. LS's are very similar along the way with there differences respectfully I've torn mine apart many times never down to the crank rebuilt the 4l70e in my 08 Silverado work truck vin checks as a ltz and it is not work truck quality inside was an upgraded work truck edition from what I understand my fav so far but tearing down to the crank my first time alone has me sitting a month and 9 days past the new year night when I fired it up. Changed front cover for vvt delete tried again horrible noise and lost oil pressure after first run noticed pulled block no damage fixed oring with fatter oring not failed installation it's quite easy reinstalled in truck down to both heads removed at separate times with driver head off lifters still perfect no piston to valve issues getting a horrible valvetrain noise with 50 psi idle? I'll link a YouTube. I'm not cocky at all I'm a very energetic humble person I'm even missing a front tooth from and accident lol if covid wouldn't have happened I probably would have had it permanently fixed instead lol. I'm going to ask some more questions in my thread later but here's also that link. Usually the page would fail on me by now being I'm not at home ☎️📱 links still incoming
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/1964646-lifter-behavior-calling-head-removal.html

https://youtu.be/Ka1VAwzUYFE
Old 02-09-2023, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the link. I will check it out
Old 02-09-2023, 09:24 PM
Launching!

I'm a mess of bad grammar and dull dark humor enjoy lol. Also wanted to add I even took my time a month exactly putting it together all of December after hell of organizing a shop that's not mine shipping delays and oddball guesstimates and so much reading 😭 I learned a lot but not enough obviously lol. My humility should be motivation

Quick Reply: 2005 z71 help