Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP lid owners, heads up.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I put some weatherstripping all around the edges and seals pretty damn good... I noticed it as soon as I bought it.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same problem. mine actually rubs the hood and the clamps pop off sometimes. im actually thinking about going with an MTI lid or anything other then SLP.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:07 AM
On The Tree

my slp lid didn't seal up either. i went to the local craft store and got some 8x11 thin foam sheets, cut some strips to match the inside of the lid, and glued them to it. seals good now. i am curious...what brand lids fit better...sorry for the hijack!
Old 07-13-2006, 06:14 AM
TECH Regular

no problems with my MTI.. a lids a lid... but i definitely recomend them
Old 07-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Launching!

no hood rubbing or radiator support rubbing. Does anyone know if there is trend with these problems in use with specific cars like a Ws6 or ss?
Old 07-13-2006, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

My slp air lid as rubs and doesn't fit like I think that it should, but what can you do! My tabs also come off every once in a while. Pisses me off cause I want everything to be perfect!
Old 07-19-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hijack!!!!!....on the MTI lids, is there a spot to plug in the air sensor because if so Im switching from SLP to MTI CLEAR (for both looks, and fitment issues) I too have the rubbing on the hood, which inturn rubs the paint off (put a SLP sticker up there for now- hey it works!..for now...) and the classic- snap on the clips on the front of the lid, start the car and POP... atleast one is off. I too have the SLP bellows kit and am gonna take it off, trim it a bit and see if it will fit a little bit better......
anyways, let me know about the air sensor plug, thanks
Old 07-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Banned

Mine may fit TIGHT AS HELL and rub the hood, but it looks awesome with the bellow,tb and everything else. I wouldnt trade it for any of them ..
Old 07-20-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mine is fine. did you check engine mounts being worn or broken.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Mine seals tight like a vault but it rubs on the hood. I bought a little sticky pad that you put on the bottoms of chair legs and such for furniture and hardwood floors and I put it on the hood where it was rubbing. No biggie.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Launching!

I have the MTI clear lid on mine. It fit perfect. I did have to make a small seal from foam to make it seal better. I bought mine used and there are rub marks on it where it rubbed the hood of the other car. It has yet to rub on mine. I noticed great imprvoement on accel. Highly recommended.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the SLP lid and have never had any problems with the fitup. It's kinda strange how some people have no problems and some people have alot of problems, even with the same car. It doesn't seem to be limited to just the SLP lids, either. I know some of the guys having problems with other lids, and I know that they have installed them properly. This tells me that there must be some other variables to blame here. I guess it comes down to a number of factors, such as lid manufacturing tolerances, under-hood dimension tolerances, ect. It seems like just when you think you have heard all there is to hear about lids that a thread like this shows up and make you think again...
Old 11-13-2006, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

I had the same issue with my lid. Instead of grinding the bottom of the lid , I ground down the plastic radiator support into a sort of U shape, so the lid would go on down in the back. I've had three different brands of lids, MTI is one of them. Also Whisper amd LS1 motorsports. All of them had the same issues, and none sealed right for very long. You can look into the back of the lid with a flashlight and see the lid not sealing to the filter properly. You can stick a small screwdriver in and push the filter around and confirm the seal aint tight. Those flimsy tabs on the back of the lid will bend down after a while and you loose a good seal in the back. I ended up using some 1/4" thick foam weather stripping all around the lid, it conforms to the filter and seals perfectly.
If you think your lid fits perfect, better check it to make sure.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:07 PM
Teching In

i got a g2 lid what a peice of dont fit at all when sliding it on the mass air it cracked in the factory lines all the way around after a week of it on the car the clamps wouldnt hold it down any more hade to use a piece of weather strip under the filter to give it enough presure to hold the clamps absolute junk just ordered an slp going to do a tap dance on the g2 and send it back to them!
Old 11-13-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a tsp clear lid and it cracked.
My slp lid rubs on my hood. I have other issues though. i reason I bought it was because the hose of the air pump still connects like stock. Been thinking about another clear lid
Old 05-08-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

Thread resurrection! ( hey I used the search)

So did anyone find out how to fix the problem with the lid hitting the hood, and with the brackets popping off( lid not fitting right) ?????
Old 05-09-2007, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

I bought my slp lid a little over a month ago which is a new design. They just made the top of the neck lower so it doesn't rub on my SS hood, there is no culky **** from the injection molding, it seals good as far as I can tell and the tabs don't pop off. at everyone who's having problems..... just kidding
Old 05-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Resurrected again!

OK well I got sick of this problem a while ago, and it now fits the way it's supposed to. Solution? Hit it. Yeah, just slam it into place. Try not to break it. The SLP lid is fitting just fine with no clamps popping off the front when I drive it like they used to.

Abe
Old 05-30-2007, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SatanzWS6
i have the same problem. mine actually rubs the hood and the clamps pop off sometimes. im actually thinking about going with an MTI lid or anything other then SLP.
SatansWS6, don't go MTI over SLP. My MTI didn't fit AT ALL, the plastic weld connecting the bottom of the neck to the top had a bunch of holes I had to seal up, clamps wouldn't seal, huge gap around parts of lid and neck didn't seem to seal to MAF at all. Grabbed an SLP and it fit way better. If I hadn't done a custom paint/decal job before I tried fitting it, I would have sent it back to MTI.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 CHiCK x
My SLP lid rubs the bottom of the hood, there is a mark on the lid and the hood where it rubs, just doesn't quite fit right, but I am happy with it regardless. Just wondering if anyone else had this problem.
SLP fitment issues (SUCKS)
YES ! ! ! i just bought the car and the SLP lid 1 rubs the hood and 2 lets the passenger side clamp just fall off!

i noticed that the smooth bellow hose has pre cut notches for the maf and tb so i spun it around for them to work and get the lid back another 1/8th inch or so.

i have drivin the car a week and havent noticed any more fiberglass rubbed off onto the intake, while the clamp does initially work after a drive it still is off.

oh and the tabs in back are all tore up from every owner tryin to push the lid back and down! also warping the foam seal

Quick Reply: SLP lid owners, heads up.