Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with 02 Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 07:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with 02 Sensors

Hello,
I have a 1999 Trans Am WS6. I put a new set of long pacesetter headers.
Since then I have problems with engine codes on the 02's.
After changing headers the original 02's code were coming up with heater problems. I bought 2 new 02's and put them in. Now the code came up PO134 read no activity Bank 1 Sensor1 twice. I swaped 02,s and still had the problem. I bought another 02 and put it in the bank2 sensor2. Still had the check engine light coming up with bank1 sensor1. I swap the 02's and the trouble moved to the other bank. . I found out both 02's I bought were bad. I bought another sensor and put it into bank1 sensor 1.
Thought that this would finish the job. Well driving again I got another code. PO134 again.Same code twice. It has moved again. The code I am getting are
po134 and po154.
Any else having this crazy problem.
Thanks
Wally
Old 07-21-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

I would suspect the wiring harness. Check the wires for cracks, or breaks in
the conductor which will set similar codes.

You will need an ohm meter to check continuity. Wiggle the wires at the
02 connector side and ensure the DC resistance remains at zero, or very close
to zero (IE: 0.1, 0.2).
Old 07-21-2006, 02:56 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wchorny
Hello,
I have a 1999 Trans Am WS6. I put a new set of long pacesetter headers.
Since then I have problems with engine codes on the 02's.
After changing headers the original 02's code were coming up with heater problems. I bought 2 new 02's and put them in. Now the code came up PO134 read no activity Bank 1 Sensor1 twice. I swaped 02,s and still had the problem. I bought another 02 and put it in the bank2 sensor2. Still had the check engine light coming up with bank1 sensor1. I swap the 02's and the trouble moved to the other bank. . I found out both 02's I bought were bad. I bought another sensor and put it into bank1 sensor 1.
Thought that this would finish the job. Well driving again I got another code. PO134 again.Same code twice. It has moved again. The code I am getting are
po134 and po154.
Any else having this crazy problem.
Thanks
Wally
If you search over in the LS1/LS6 engine section or external mods section, this problem has been covered in great detail. The O2's simply don't get hot enough in LT headers causing them to die or the computer to think they are dead. Tuning can help but isn't a cure unless you have someone just delete the codes. I've read that the 'vette O2's are better maybe also. Do some searching though cause there are TONS of threads about this exact problem.

Good luck.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your O2 sensors have heaters, this is to help combat the sensor not getting hot enough to read correctly. Your sensors are 3 or 4 wire depending on the PCM, 2 of the wires are the heater circuit. THe heater circuit is completly independent of the signal circuit. I would check the O2 heater circuit fuses to begin with, make sure the heaters are working before you spend a ton of time tracking down goofy signal codes. Even with long tube headers, the heaters should keep the O2's at opperating temp.. The heaters come on any time the key is in the on position, regardless of the engine running or not, it is very easy to check the heater circuits at the sensors themselves.Use a very high load test light though (i.e. old headlight, or brake light bulb) the heaters draw alot of amperage, a faulty ground may be enough to light an ordinary test lamp, but not carry enough current to warm the heaters, that is the reason for using a high load test light, to duplicate the amp draw of the heaters best as possible.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

might also want to try a set of Vetter rear O2's in the primary location, Boshe 13111's or equivilent