Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: With MSD wires, Should I reuse the OEM spark plug heatshields?
Yes
44.12%
No
55.88%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: To reuse or not to OEM Spark Plug Heat Shield

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I reused them with my MSD wires, when i did my cam i got Taylor wires and got rid of heat shield.
-Joel
Old 09-23-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

wow, according to the poll more people didn't reuse them. i reused mine though. i dont see why not, i mean they cant hurt anything (except maybe aesthetics, but you can barely notice the heat shields anyway). i figured if it kept things a little cooler why not?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

15k miles on mine no heat sheilds and no problems so i say fu*k them
Old 09-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 210 Likes on 177 Posts

I tried putting them on, but it was clear that where they sat, they weren't protecting anything, so I ditched them.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MSD, reused.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

You have to reuse them. I decided to toss them and i paid dearly for it...
The truth is that the shields play a vital role in preventing the electromagnetic frequency of the electrical current passing through the wires to affect electrical components such as the BCM and the charging system.

At first you wont notice anything but then gradually your goat will start having quirks like running low voltage, it will mess with the alternator and modules will start failing...
Jeremy Formato was the one who helped me figure this out so feel free to check with him the validity of this information
Old 10-03-2014, 08:23 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I didn't reuse them. I went and bought some heat socks from DEI. They protect the plug wires much more effectively.

And I just realized this is a post from 7 years ago...
Old 10-03-2014, 08:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ViceCityPerformance
You have to reuse them. I decided to toss them and i paid dearly for it...
The truth is that the shields play a vital role in preventing the electromagnetic frequency of the electrical current passing through the wires to affect electrical components such as the BCM and the charging system.

At first you wont notice anything but then gradually your goat will start having quirks like running low voltage, it will mess with the alternator and modules will start failing...
Jeremy Formato was the one who helped me figure this out so feel free to check with him the validity of this information
Is this true? I'm about to do h/c/I. I'd there anything else besides the original heat shields that do the same thing?
Old 10-04-2014, 10:59 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

What a load of ****.

I chucked every set I ever ripped off a (literally) vehicle.

Use heat socks, and that's if you even need them. I never have, as I always bend the terminal away from the primary.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
What a load of ****.

I chucked every set I ever ripped off a (literally) vehicle.

Use heat socks, and that's if you even need them. I never have, as I always bend the terminal away from the primary.
This is for real, I noticed immediately afterwards that my voltage became steady and on top of that it had done away with this annoying false knock issue.

The average joe wouldn't notice driving his car around. But if for whatever reason you start having these wierd electrical issues for no apparent reason check the spark plug shields. This is no bull, im just trying to prevent u guys future headaches
Old 10-17-2014, 04:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is for real, I noticed immediately afterwards that my voltage became steady and on top of that it had done away with this annoying false knock issue.

The average joe wouldn't notice driving his car around. But if for whatever reason you start having these wierd electrical issues for no apparent reason check the spark plug shields. This is no bull, im just trying to prevent u guys future headaches
So the real question is what MSD spark plug wires are you using,
and are you sure you're using the correct type...?
I've been using the same MSD plug wire for 8 yrs or more without the factory plug wire heat shields, and never had any EMI issues from them.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 10-17-2014 at 04:32 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:19 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No heat shields when I did long tubes. I went with GMPP wires FWIW.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

I reused mine because there was no issue with clearance. I figure if they protect the wires even a little then they may as well be use them since I already had them. If I ever run into the issues mentioned above though I will cognizant that they could be a cause. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Poll: To reuse or not to OEM Spark Plug Heat Shield