Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dont use this mod!!!! Free Ram Air is Bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marblehead
Thanks for the information to consider. It's always best to get firsthand info. Thanks. Here's what Fast Toys website says about it.

Will My Car Run Hotter?
Because the lower ram air plate does block a portion of airflow going to the radiator, your car will run a little hotter in stock and go traffic (10-15 F). However, we have done extensive testing on the kit and have not experienced any overheating problems even in warm climates like Hawaii, Florida and California. Highway driving is not affected. In the rare event that outside temperature gets so hot that cooling performance is drastically impacted, the lower portion of the kit can be easily removed in less than 5 minutes, leaving the kit installed and functioning as a cold air intake system. Once the temperatures come back to normal, you can just re-install the ram air plate.

You can improve cooling with the installation of an aftermarket fan switch or with aftermarket computer programming which will turn the factory fans on sooner. A 160 thermostat is also beneficial.
If you have access to computer tuning, you shouldnt be running stock fan settings anyway. Even with the stock thermostat, you can get your temps down quite a bit. I like my ETC to hover around 195 - 205. Even in 100* heat it dosnt get past that.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
So is there any cheap way to un-do the FRA?
I know GuitsBoy said you can go to Homeless Depot and make your own, but pictures would sure help, along with some instructions.
I dont have pics with me, but ive made a few of these.

Go get some sheet metal or flashing. about 12" wide is perfect and atleast 2 or 3 feet long. you want to make a rectangular loop about the size of your FRA hole. Figure about 14" x 1.5" x 14" x 1.5" on all 4 sides. Rivet, staple, or aluminum tape it togather. now make an incision about an inch down from the top at all 4 corners. Fold each top inch of the 4 sides of the rectangle outward so that it will hold the rectangular duct in place. Use aluminum tape to seal it down to the airbox. Its really quite simple.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Homer Simpson's famed "Speed Holes".
Homer: [suspicious] Hey, what are all these holes?
Salesman: [quickly] These are speed holes. They make the car go faster.
Homer: Oh, yeah. Speed holes!

Homer, meanwhile, uses a pickaxe to make some speed holes in his own
car.

Ned: Whatcha diddely-doin', neighbor?
Homer: Aw, putting speed holes in my car. Makes it go faster.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The free ram air mod works.No adverse affects sitting in traffic.Absolutely no reason to buy a kit.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
The free ram air mod works.No adverse affects sitting in traffic.Absolutely no reason to buy a kit.
How does it not suck in hot air from the front of the radiator? Please explain how this works?

Isn't it just better to let it suck in air from the front like it came stock?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
no reason to buy a kit? first time i ever heard the free ram air is as good as the FTRA the FTRA has a scoop and moarlt seals the airbox and picks up colder air than the FRA "mod". how can the FRA be just as good?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Teching In

The Fast Toys ram air looks pretty tempting. I'm definitely going to look more into this. Buy an aluminum radiator and the 10-15° increase in temps won't be an issue. Expensive, but it's a great set-up I think.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never had any probs with mine. Been that way for 2+ years now.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
no reason to buy a kit? first time i ever heard the free ram air is as good as the FTRA the FTRA has a scoop and moarlt seals the airbox and picks up colder air than the FRA "mod". how can the FRA be just as good?
I don't have the kit but I have the FRA. It works the same generally speaking. Both are bottom feeders.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by bene
I don't have the kit but I have the FRA. It works the same generally speaking. Both are bottom feeders.
but the FTRA has a scoop positioned to take in colder air than a hole in the airbox near the radiator, plus it helps seal the airbox. it has been proven to add to volumetric efficiency, has proven gains in the 1/4 and is proven to boost fuel mpg. you're mistaken if you think the "FRA mod" is as good as the FTRA.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Trunion King

but the FTRA has a scoop positioned to take in colder air than a hole in the airbox near the radiator, plus it helps seal the airbox. it has been proven to add to volumetric efficiency, has proven gains in the 1/4 and is proven to boost fuel mpg. you're mistaken if you think the "FRA mod" is as good as the FTRA.
So does FRA, so what's your point? I ran faster w/ FRA on my firebird than w/o a FRA. I also had a minute fuel mpg, I'm saying minute because I have a heavy foot. I'd rather spend my $130 on 160 stat and reset my fans; delete codes than spending on a piece of metal that pretty much will do the same w/ FRA. Which I did, FYI. Who says its a MISTAKE? You? Consensus? You know what? I don't give a *uck because its my CAR. I'll run my car the way I like it and you do whatever you want to do w/ your car.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:05 AM
Tech Resident

Who says its a MISTAKE? You? Consensus?
several people in this thread that have it done.

You know what? I don't give a *uck because its my CAR. I'll run my car the way I like it and you do whatever you want to do w/ your car.
good for you!

you want a cookie?

that's great, do what you want. you can strap dynamite to your car and you know what, i wouldn't recommend it but i'm not gonna stop you. i'd rather buy a scientifically tested kit for my car than cut a hole in the airbox, and you know what, i'll do whatever i want because it's my car.

people act like you're going to stop them
Old 08-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Trunion King

several people in this thread that have it done.

good for you!

you want a cookie?

that's great, do what you want. you can strap dynamite to your car and you know what, i wouldn't recommend it but i'm not gonna stop you. i'd rather buy a scientifically tested kit for my car than cut a hole in the airbox, and you know what, i'll do whatever i want because it's my car.

people act like you're going to stop them

Why don't give yourself a cookie, for giving an opinion to what you don't even have an experience of having a FRA or FTRA for that matter. Scientifically? C'mon, give me a break. From whom? Joe schmoe self proclaimed scientist all of sudden and supposedly "unbiased" tester?

If you don't like FRA, good for you, go get a better one (FTRA or SSRA) or just leave it stock but don't start shoving info to everyone here that is a MISTAKE to have FRA when you don't even have tangible facts to back it up. No, I'm not talking about proof of someone else ****. I'm talking about your experience, it happened and its a fact.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

FRA has both advantages and disadvantages.
FTRA has both advantages and disadvantages.
Leaving it stock has both advantages and disadvantages.

You guys have to weigh out what its worth to you and possibly make a compromise.

In the end youre arguing over a mod that at best makes a couple of HP at high speed. Small potatos for you guys to spend this much time worrying about it. your efforts are better spent elsewhere.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:19 AM
Tech Resident

Why don't give yourself a cookie, for giving an opinion to what you don't even have an experience of having a FRA or FTRA for that matter. Scientifically? C'mon, give me a break. From whom? Joe schmoe self proclaimed scientist all of sudden and supposedly "unbiased" tester?

If you don't like FRA, good for you, go get a better one (FTRA or SSRA) or just leave it stock but don't start shoving info to everyone here that is a MISTAKE to have FRA when you don't even have tangible facts to back it up. No, I'm not talking about proof of someone else ****. I'm talking about your experience, it happened and its a fact.
i'm backing up people that claim it is a mistake by understanding what their point is.

testing is worth a hell of a lot more than "experience" in this case. your SOTP dyno is a known liar. every time you do something to your car, a lot of people feel a SOTP increase when there is none. conversely, my car feels the same speed with a full tank of gas as it does with 1/4 tank, and that's some big weight reduction. again, real-life testing is far more valuable with an induction kit. now a cam, a supercharger or headers...that's a different story. there's much more to be learned there than numbers.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

but numbers are everything
Old 08-16-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Choco you are a self proclaimed Guru. Whatever your topic of the day is, you are the new expert. Be it the ever technical Sea Foam topic or your oil threads or now the FRA mod, its always something and you are always right. Just take it easy man, 1/2 the things you read on this site are false.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

im LMAO at people worrying about hotter air temps when stopped at a traffic light...
Old 08-16-2006, 09:49 AM
Launching!

When I did the mod to the car maybe its in my head but it seem to run better up top. It seemed as it let it breath I dunno if yall have ever put like the cold air kit on a truck but thats what it felt like, It felt diffrent. as far as temps go here in the south and the design of the camaro its looks like we pull must of our air from the road anyways so its gonna be hot regardless with the fra or w/o. Im not gonna bs the airfilter stays dirty ive found ciggerette packs and styrofaom containers in the area below the airfilter but thats my only complaints This is just my opinion so flame suit on
Old 08-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by SilverSierra
Choco you are a self proclaimed Guru. Whatever your topic of the day is, you are the new expert. Be it the ever technical Sea Foam topic or your oil threads or now the FRA mod, its always something and you are always right. Just take it easy man, 1/2 the things you read on this site are false.
what in the hell are you talking about? when do i say i know more than anyone about anything? i've never called myself a guru of anything.

see, this is exactly what i'm talking about. someone starts a thread that the FRA didn't do anything for them and in fact PROVED it HURT them, and everyone gets out their guns because they feel so violated that their stupid "free mod" just may not be all it's cracked up to be. then they begin with the personal insults. two words: grow up.

if i have experience with something, then it's numbers that count. but if i have numbers proving otherwise, then i have no experience so the opinion is invalid. so which is it, then? some people are just totally full of **** and can't stand that they just may be wrong about something.

i have experience with oil. i have data about oil. i have experience with seafoam. i have had great results with seafoam. i answer questions on them because people PM me with them and ask me in threads.

i guess we're no longer allowed to give opinions or scientific theory in a forum anymore? last time i checked that's what a forum's for.

Originally Posted by MrDude_1

im LMAO at people worrying about hotter air temps when stopped at a traffic light...
the thread starter found that his IAT skyrockets to 110* at idle and takes 3-4 minuets to drop. if you're street racing and waiting at the light, your IAT is gonna be way up. if you're at the track, your IAT is gonna be way up because you'll be sitting in line. the only way the FRA mod lowers the temps is highway racing. in other words, the FRA mod would likely raise his ET since you can't drop your IAT much in the quarter mile.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-16-2006 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Dont use this mod!!!! Free Ram Air is Bad