Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dont use this mod!!!! Free Ram Air is Bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

free ram air kicks *** i beat like 5 six speeds trans am and camaro with only this mod!! i recommend this mod to everyone!
Old 08-15-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

The glare. I think that is the worst picture I have ever seen.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:59 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I currently have the FRA mod.....

I can't believe i'm saying this, but, it DOES NOT WORK.

Anyone who thinks otherwise can easily scan their IAT's via a scanner and watch what happens to the car on an warm afternoon drive.

The car WILL see lowere IAT's after a constant speed is kept, but i wonder if you would see the same reduction via the stock airbox(uncut)....

As soon as the car is stopped and idling, IAT's will skyrocket through the roof, and the car's performance will suffer.The IAT's do not immediately drop as one would think either. I would be willing to bet that the IAT's of a FRA car are considerably higher than that of a stock airbox car that has sat for let's say.....5 minutes, and then made a 1/4 mile blast.....at the end of the 1/4 mile, i bet the stock airbox would still be lower IATs...it takes ALOT longer for the IAT's to drop than it does for them to rise.

I was a hardcore believer in the FRA mod, but the scanner does not lie guys. It's what is known as a urban myth in the LSx world
Old 08-15-2006, 11:00 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by DSRCAM
free ram air kicks *** i beat like 5 six speeds trans am and camaro with only this mod!! i recommend this mod to everyone!

Poor newb
Old 08-15-2006, 11:12 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by DSRCAM
You can't be serious with this post....
Old 08-15-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy some cheap sheet metal from home depot or lower and fashion your own FTRA. This will block most of the hot air from raising off the radiator and going directly into the lower airbox.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Buy some cheap sheet metal from home depot or lower and fashion your own FTRA. This will block most of the hot air from raising off the radiator and going directly into the lower airbox.
Your blocking the hot air coming off the radiator but now your blocking part of the radiator with the ram air system which will increase temps because it's getting less cool air to the radiator.

Even Fast Toys website says that their ram air system will increase temps because you are blocking part of the radiator with the ram air system.

I'm leaving mine as is until I can draw better conclusions. There's always a trade off with mods and as of right now, I don't see the positives outweighing the negatives.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Marblehead
Your blocking the hot air coming off the radiator but now your blocking part of the radiator with the ram air system which will increase temps because it's getting less cool air to the radiator.

Even Fast Toys website says that their ram air system will increase temps because you are blocking part of the radiator with the ram air system.

I'm leaving mine as is until I can draw better conclusions. There's always a trade off with mods and as of right now, I don't see the positives outweighing the negatives.
You only have to drop 6" or so below the lower airbox to drastically reduce your idle IATs, and this will obstruct very little of teh radiator. Furthermore, the sheetmetal is angled forward, so it does not rest against the front of the radiator. Theres plenty of clearance to flow air through there. After adding the sheet metal to mine, I noticed no increase at all in ETCs, yet a good reduction in IATs at idle and low speed city driving. Perhaps your concerns are valid in theory, but in practice the difference is almost negligable.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:43 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by minivette
The glare. I think that is the worst picture I have ever seen.
cell phone camera. i need a good digital one

Originally Posted by tim99ws6

Anyone who thinks otherwise can easily scan their IAT's via a scanner and watch what happens to the car on an warm afternoon drive.

The car WILL see lowere IAT's after a constant speed is kept, but i wonder if you would see the same reduction via the stock airbox(uncut)....

As soon as the car is stopped and idling, IAT's will skyrocket through the roof, and the car's performance will suffer.The IAT's do not immediately drop as one would think either. I would be willing to bet that the IAT's of a FRA car are considerably higher than that of a stock airbox car that has sat for let's say.....5 minutes, and then made a 1/4 mile blast.....at the end of the 1/4 mile, i bet the stock airbox would still be lower IATs...it takes ALOT longer for the IAT's to drop than it does for them to rise.

I was a hardcore believer in the FRA mod, but the scanner does not lie guys. It's what is known as a urban myth in the LSx world
this is how i've always felt. although it's not a true verification since we don't have the IAT's for the stock airbox under the same conditions, it's still nice to know the FRA isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
You only have to drop 6" or so below the lower airbox to drastically reduce your idle IATs, and this will obstruct very little of teh radiator. Furthermore, the sheetmetal is angled forward, so it does not rest against the front of the radiator. Theres plenty of clearance to flow air through there. After adding the sheet metal to mine, I noticed no increase at all in ETCs, yet a good reduction in IATs at idle and low speed city driving. Perhaps your concerns are valid in theory, but in practice the difference is almost negligable.
Thanks for the information to consider. It's always best to get firsthand info. Thanks. Here's what Fast Toys website says about it.

Will My Car Run Hotter?
Because the lower ram air plate does block a portion of airflow going to the radiator, your car will run a little hotter in stock and go traffic (10-15 F). However, we have done extensive testing on the kit and have not experienced any overheating problems even in warm climates like Hawaii, Florida and California. Highway driving is not affected. In the rare event that outside temperature gets so hot that cooling performance is drastically impacted, the lower portion of the kit can be easily removed in less than 5 minutes, leaving the kit installed and functioning as a cold air intake system. Once the temperatures come back to normal, you can just re-install the ram air plate.

You can improve cooling with the installation of an aftermarket fan switch or with aftermarket computer programming which will turn the factory fans on sooner. A 160 thermostat is also beneficial.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Tech Resident

that's another reason why i really want this kit. it's easily adaptable. not only can you remove the lower scoop, you get a blockoff plate for heavy rain conditions.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tim99ws6

I'm the guy that tunes Tim's car... His car never sees below 110* or so IAT's until he gets on the highway for 3-4 minutes. I can't wait until he fixes that airbox, hahaha

FRA is a joke.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the process of tuning my car and the most I have seen my IAT's increase above ambient is 4 degrees. I did the FRA mod. Obviously I can't compare that to what it was before the FRA.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

So is there any cheap way to un-do the FRA?
I know GuitsBoy said you can go to Homeless Depot and make your own, but pictures would sure help, along with some instructions.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Im stickin to my belief that the FRA isnt worth the cutting and cleaning and potential increase in IAT at rest. Might as well spend your time punching holes in the hood for more air
Old 08-15-2006, 05:03 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by lukebrown35
Im stickin to my belief that the FRA isnt worth the cutting and cleaning and potential increase in IAT at rest. Might as well spend your time punching holes in the hood for more air
exactly my thoughts. i tried conveying this last month but got flamed out for questioning their precious free mods. apparently there are lots of people out there that side with me.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Teching In

A lot people are under the impression that GM purposely does things to slow our cars down. There's a very good reason why that plastic piece is there. The baffled air lid is a good example of pure nonsense by GM. What person who buys a performance car would mind the pleasant sound of air rushing into the intake?
Old 08-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Well, I've done both the FRA and FTRA. The FRA was on a 98 V6 I had. I have the FTRA on my current '99 Z28. I don't remember any difference in performance on the '98. The air filter did get a LOT dirtier with the FRA though. I checked my filter a few months after installing FTRA and it actually looks very nice. There's not nearly as much crud. With the FTRA I did notice a very slight increase in milage and definite increase in throttle response at speed. I would say there's a difference.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lukebrown35
Homer Simpson's famed "Speed Holes".
Old 08-15-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course it gets dirty faster because of more air flowing. You have to do this before you buy a cold air intake system and when doing this and adding the Whisper Cold air intake i noitced a nice gain and better MPG. Just clean the filter once a month or if you dont have a K&N buy a new paper filter monthly.

Quick Reply: Dont use this mod!!!! Free Ram Air is Bad