Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mobil 5w40 truck and suv oil!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99camarols1m6
these are the oils higher than a 30 weight i have to choose from where i can get real cheap or free, what would you suggest: Amsoil 15W-40, Mobil 0W-40, Mobil 5W-40, Mobil 15W-50, and Penzoil 5W-40. (all full synthetic)
mobil 1 5W-40 or 0W-40. i'd try them both and pick the one that felt like it had the most throttle response, most mpg and least valvetrain noise.

IMHO 15W-50 is far too thick. it's going to protect you very poorly during startup, cut your fuel economy and take away significant horsepower.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys can hate all you want, You guys can use what ever oil you want. All I know is that I have been using regular old 10w-30 bulk oil in my 01 ws6 for 2 years now, no buring no consumption and no tick. It just sickens me to think that people think they are going to be faster with different oils.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

these are the oils higher than a 30 weight i have to choose from where i can get real cheap or free, what would you suggest: Amsoil 15W-40, Mobil 0W-40, Mobil 5W-40, Mobil 15W-50, and Penzoil 5W-40. (all full synthetic)
IMO you should also add AMSOIL European 5w-40 to the list above. It has shown some good results in the LS1's. All the oils listed will be good however.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

What about penzoil platinum (full synthetic) 5W-40 european blend, how does this compare to mobil 5W-40 and GC 0W-30. I am curious because they stock it where I work (and I can... ya know have one accidentally fall into my car )
There was a thread on BITOG talking about Mobil1 pricing itself out of the market. There was talk of PP, and the numbers seem to be doing well with it. Give it a try, and see how it works.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 213 Likes on 180 Posts

There was a thread on BITOG a year or two a go in which a GM engineer explained why synthetics were unnecessary for 99% of drivers. He pissed a lot of people off but it was hard to argue with his expertise. That being said, I use GC because here in Kansas, it can get down to 0* in the winter, and 100* days are common in summer. GC has great cold flow characteristics and maintains excellent oil pressure when it's really hot.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by o2man98
IMO you should also add AMSOIL European 5w-40 to the list above. It has shown some good results in the LS1's. All the oils listed will be good however.
If I could get that oil for what I'm paying for the rest of them i would deffinately do itbut we don't stock it here. I have heard that great things about it. Some people say that it's as good or better than GC 0W-30 but who knows... I just got 6 quarts of mobil 0W-40 and a mobil filter for free so we will see how well works...
Old 09-02-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

i might have to try the M1 0W40.. but isnt that thiner than M1 5W30??
Old 09-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Eatinstang4life
you guys can hate all you want, You guys can use what ever oil you want. All I know is that I have been using regular old 10w-30 bulk oil in my 01 ws6 for 2 years now, no buring no consumption and no tick. It just sickens me to think that people think they are going to be faster with different oils.
faster? what are you talking about? if anything, you may lose a few hp going to GC 0W-30 from mobil 1 5W-30. reason being, GC is thicker resulting in more parasitic loss. it will likely only be a few hp. no one uses GC 0W-30 to go faster. they use it to protect their engine better. perform some oil analyses on your engine. if you like the results, stick with it. if you don't like the results, go with something else.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eatinstang4life
Dude just use regular freakin 10w-30 oil. oil is oil for god sakes.

uh no I can tell you your wrong I have worked in the oil industry for about 5 years and I can tell you there is differences in waits and viscosities obviously but dont waist money on synthitics please, just change your oil every couple thousand miles with the cheap stuff 10w-30 is not too thin at all for ls1's just right. They call for 5w-30 anyways.

1) You're an idiot.

2) You work in the oil industry, likely sweeping floors at a plant, because your education sucks. This is shown by your obvious lack of spelling knowledge.

3) You don't even know what kind of headers are on your car.

4) http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

5) How many oil analysis' have you sent your oil in for?

6) Who said anything about being faster? I want the best oil for protection.. you know, the oil that shows the least damage on a standard bearing crush test.

7) It sickens me to think that some people can still say "oil is oil".
Old 09-02-2006, 11:37 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
i might have to try the M1 0W40.. but isnt that thiner than M1 5W30??
no. 0W-40 is great because it's thinner at startup so it gets to parts quickly. startup is the most dangerous part of an engine's life because during startup, there is no fresh oil being pumped through the engine since oil doesn't start pumping until the key is turned, so for that split second, it's the driest environment for an engine. the very thin 0W-40 gets to all the parts much quicker than 5W-30, giving superior startup protection. once the engine warms up, however, the 0W-40 is thicker than the 5W-30, better lubricating parts.

the GC 0W-30 tends to be noisey and startup. my piston slap is pretty noticable during startup idling since the oil at that point is water thin. however, as soon as my engine warms up, it mostly goes away. my engine's valvetrain noise never completely goes away, but since it's common with LS1's i'm not too worried. it's still relatively quiet. you can only really hear it if you're focusing on it.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
no. 0W-40 is great because it's thinner at startup so it gets to parts quickly. startup is the most dangerous part of an engine's life because during startup, there is no fresh oil being pumped through the engine since oil doesn't start pumping until the key is turned, so for that split second, it's the driest environment for an engine. the very thin 0W-40 gets to all the parts much quicker than 5W-30, giving superior startup protection. once the engine warms up, however, the 0W-40 is thicker than the 5W-30, better lubricating parts.

the GC 0W-30 tends to be noisey and startup. my piston slap is pretty noticable during startup idling since the oil at that point is water thin. however, as soon as my engine warms up, it mostly goes away. my engine's valvetrain noise never completely goes away, but since it's common with LS1's i'm not too worried. it's still relatively quiet. you can only really hear it if you're focusing on it.

yup i know what you are talkign about.. on startup you can hear the piston slap.. but once it warms up, unless you listen for it, it is not there. so you do recommend 0w40.. What else. i am also running the K&N Oil Filter
Old 09-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
yup i know what you are talkign about.. on startup you can hear the piston slap.. but once it warms up, unless you listen for it, it is not there. so you do recommend 0w40.. What else. i am also running the K&N Oil Filter
well, i recommend mobil 1 0W-40 only if you refuse to put the effort in to get GC 0W-30. mobil 1 0W-40 still falls short of GC. the reason why i recommend mobil 1 0W-40 if you refuse to jump on the GC bandwagon is it's similar in viscosity so it'll give similar noise supression characteristics. also, mobil 1 is fully synthetic unlike most marketed synthetic oils. so IMO it's really the only other option. that being said, its base oil is nowhere near as advanced as GC 0W-30's. the only way i'll ever get mobil 1 0W-40 is if they stop importing GC 0W-30 to america and it gets impossible to find.

the K&N filter is supposed to be a good one. right now, i'm running the napa gold (wix) filter. no complaints. reason why i run the napa gold is apparently it has even better filtering capabilities (with the expense of a little flow) and is $3 cheaper which is always nice.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
IMHO 15W-50 is far too thick. it's going to protect you very poorly during startup, cut your fuel economy and take away significant horsepower.
My oil analyst friend disagrees and thinks it's a shade heavier than I need but will do just fine. It's probably closer to what my car should be using than the 5-30 and so far the analysis supports this.

Quick Reply: mobil 5w40 truck and suv oil!