Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get the alternator pulley off???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 06:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can't get the alternator pulley off???

Does anyone have any tips to get the alternator pulley off? I was using a Torx 50 to keep the pulley from turning and a deep offset wrench on the nut itself. I pulled on the wrench so hard that it broke the torx bit in half.

The nut never budged. I was told that it is reverse threaded. Is this correct? Now I have to remove the other half of the Torx bit from the front of the alternator.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

Use a air impact gun!
Old 08-30-2006, 06:55 PM
10 Second Club

That crossed my mind but how do you keep the pulley from turning when you put the impact on it? I thought about chucking it in a vise but that would most likely ruin the pulley.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's standard thread, not reversed. I used an impact on mine. I tapped the trigger a couple of times and it zipped right off. I ordered an overdrive pulley and have a 160 amp altenator. So I practiced on my og altenator to see how it came off. It did come off easy with the impact. I'm going to try the wrench/torx bit method when the pulley comes in. If I can't get it, I'll pull it to use the impact.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On most alternators there is a little access port where you can stick something in, like an alan wrench, to jam the rotor. Check it out in the shop manual.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
On most alternators there is a little access port where you can stick something in, like an alan wrench, to jam the rotor. Check it out in the shop manual.
I just went out and checked my stock altenator. I couldn't find any access point. I think that's why they put a torx bit in the end of the pulley shaft. I don't want to pull the altenator to pull the pulley if I don't have to. I'm going to try to hold the altenator nut and spin the shaft clockwise to break it free. Hugger said he already broke his torx bit. I hope it doesn't happen to me. I have a set of hardened torx bits for impact use. I'm going to try those first.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:35 PM
10 Second Club

Well, judging from your post White Rhino, the only reason I broke my Torx bit is that I was trying to turn the nut the wrong way thinking it was reverse-threaded. I guess now mine is EXTRA tight. Looks like I have my work cut out for me!!