Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOW march performance your #1 here's to you.....rant.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SiL3NtXWS6 + ArcticZ28 - Thanks i tried my modded pulley puller today with no success. The only thing i did do with success was mess up a the first couple threads in the crankshaft. The damn pulley didn't budge at all either haha go figure . So tomorrow or this week i will find a 3 jaw large enough i hope get the damn thing off and finish my cam swap. I feel like tossing the SOB out into the street after i get it off.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Is this 3 jaw gonna be big enough it says 3,4,5,8 inch pullers

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_13315_13315

I wanna make sure before i buy this thing.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

8" SHOULD do the trick and let you grab the back lip.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
8" SHOULD do the trick and let you grab the back lip.
Ok i'm gonna go ahead an order it. I didn't measure but the one from the parts store the biggest one they had would reach around the pulley but when you tightened it up it just needed a half inch more on the jaws to stay seated on the pulley i'm guessing that was a 6" correct.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You can always buy some extenders for the puller as well. I'm not exactly sure what they are called but they are little flat pieces of steel with a bolt hole on each end that bolt to where the arm would normally bolt to and then you can attach the arm at the end of the piece of steel, thus giving you some added length.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:33 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Sears has some big *** ones IIRC. I didn't bother reading the aforementioned immature posts, so keep them at a minimum.

89stang - Sorry you're having problems, I know EXACTLY what it's like to be pissed. The title of this thread comes off as a bit childish, but as I said, I know what it's like to be pissed.

You might also try a little heat, you'd be suprised at how much it will do. I had pounded on a slip fit exhaust connection for 20 minutes with no results, then I grabbed the torch. Few whacks and it fell off.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

[QUOTE=89tang]
[QUOTE]
After reading all this i probably wont be going with a march pulley

Last edited by brad8266; 10-01-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:59 AM
Launching!

ArcticZ28- Yeah i saw you could buy different jaw peices, I'm going to snap on later after i get off work i didn't know there was one about a half hour from me.

The Blur- True my title might be alittle childish but i also meant it to be kinda humorous. I shoulda worded it different but what's done is done lol. And our sears here sucks, i'm sure they could order what i need but without seeing how big the puller is in person my luck it would be the wrong one.

And your right about some heat, i've got a heat gun i'm going to use on it later today also. I figured it would be tough to get off it was tough to get the pulley on. I just hope it comes off without damaging the crankshaft.

brad- i would advise a different pulley
Old 10-02-2006, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Agreed, Im in the market for a new pulley. Im glad I saw this. It sucks that another persons pain can save other people from future problems. I ran into that about a month ago. I was backing my ARP crankbolt out and it siezed up. Not my fault at all (so I found out later) but I was pissed none the less. Hope the rest of the install goes well though. Good Luck
Old 10-02-2006, 06:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh and that middle finger is huge.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Let us know when you get it off and what kind of pulley you wound up using so that the next person with this problem will have a little help. Good Luck.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
Let us know when you get it off and what kind of pulley you wound up using so that the next person with this problem will have a little help. Good Luck.
Honestly i "MAY" put the march back on it. There wouldn't be a problem with it if you could find the right tool to remove it that's all. March's design on the pulley is crappy. Other then that i have no complaints on the pulley itself we'll see how much more trouble it gives me if i put it back on or not.

Update on the puller though i found a HUGE puller i borrowed from work it "should" do the job lol.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once again this is the type of situation that occurs when people do not read about a product & just go buy it. I don't know how many time I have told people to research the product & make sure it exactly right for them before purchasing.

Just b/c you have to use a bigger puller does not mean there is something wrong with the pulley. It just means you don't got the right tool & didn't do your research. No one to be mad at but yourself in this one.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:42 PM
10 Second Club

looks wont i be buying a March pully ever. if they lacked forsight to design it to be easily removed i wonder in what areas they have inadequate design.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Once again this is the type of situation that occurs when people do not read about a product & just go buy it. I don't know how many time I have told people to research the product & make sure it exactly right for them before purchasing.

Just b/c you have to use a bigger puller does not mean there is something wrong with the pulley. It just means you don't got the right tool & didn't do your research. No one to be mad at but yourself in this one.
It's already been hashed out that there was no info on the removal of the March pulley until after this guy purchased it. I myself purchased a March way back when ASP was THE pulley to go with as well so I had no way of knowing what a pain it would be. You can only make decisions based on available information. Great input though.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Wow do you guys not read or what? Like Arctic said no where did i EVER read the march pulley was this hard to get off before i bought it. It's not because i have to use a bigger puller IT'S BECAUSE I CAN'T FIND A BIGGER PULLER. If you would read the whole thread you would know that already obviously. The pulley was exactly right for me according to all the praises it got from ppl. that had/were using it at the time.

And yes it does mean there is something wrong with the pulley it's a poor design on march's part for making it and not offering a puller for it. There maybe alot of places around you or Arctic or someone else that sells the puller i need, like i said before there is no place in a 20-25mile radius of me that offers a puller the size i need. And in the time frame i had to work on the car i didn't want to order it off the internet (last weekend) plus what if i recieve it and it's something i already tried. Thanks though i'm glad you were here to offer some the input. on nothing

Oh and the puller i got from work is to damn big it would work if i had enough room.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:11 PM
11 Second Club

Oh and the puller i got from work is to damn big it would work if i had enough room.[/QUOTE]

I don't have a march pulley but I have to pull the radiator to get my puller in there. You may have to go that route.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah but you shouldnt have to research the **** out of a product before you buy it, especially something that is supposed to be designed to work your car. If the product is designed with the user(car) in mind then the product should wind up not being such a pain to install. That is what seperates many products from each other. There is no reason that a pulley needs to be such a PITA to get off.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ILLWS6
I don't have a march pulley but I have to pull the radiator to get my puller in there. You may have to go that route.

I already have everything apart ready for the cam swap so the rad. and everything aren't in the way. This set of 3 jaws is HUGE lol, it's a set of posi-lock pullers 10" ones.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 89tang
Wow do you guys not read or what? Like Arctic said no where did i EVER read the march pulley was this hard to get off before i bought it. It's not because i have to use a bigger puller IT'S BECAUSE I CAN'T FIND A BIGGER PULLER. If you would read the whole thread you would know that already obviously. The pulley was exactly right for me according to all the praises it got from ppl. that had/were using it at the time.

And yes it does mean there is something wrong with the pulley it's a poor design on march's part for making it and not offering a puller for it. There maybe alot of places around you or Arctic or someone else that sells the puller i need, like i said before there is no place in a 20-25mile radius of me that offers a puller the size i need. And in the time frame i had to work on the car i didn't want to order it off the internet (last weekend) plus what if i recieve it and it's something i already tried. Thanks though i'm glad you were here to offer some the input. on nothing

Oh and the puller i got from work is to damn big it would work if i had enough room.
Well I did read the entire thread & still stand by my comment. You wanna be a rude dick b/c you bought something & don't have the correct tools to work on it with, so be it.