Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOW march performance your #1 here's to you.....rant.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Get a big fuggin 3 jaw puller. That's how I've done it every time. I'm talkin a puller with like 8" jaws.
Thats what I did...

BUT

I did rent one from Autozone that would have worked great but the spread for the tool wasnt big enough. So I went to Northern Tools by my house and grabbed their 6" jaw puller and the spread on it was perfect. I grabbed it from behind and it came right off the car. But i did spend time chasing the 6" jaw puller with the right spread...

Just for you guys info...i paid 12 bucks for this china version puller from Northen and it worked great.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Well I did read the entire thread & still stand by my comment. You wanna be a rude dick b/c you bought something & don't have the correct tools to work on it with, so be it.
Have you even attempted a March removal yourself yet? I knew what i was getting into myself this past weekend, but thankfully I have a set of brains and skills to get it off with the right tools.

The only tool he needs is obviously you since you are King of Know it all. I still need to pass through Tulsa to visit a GF in Weatherford OK...Id like to pay you a visit on my way for acting like a bitch.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Well I did read the entire thread & still stand by my comment. You wanna be a rude dick b/c you bought something & don't have the correct tools to work on it with, so be it.
You are dense aren't you. I'm being a rude dick defending myself cause you and the other rejects of LS1tech seem to think i shouldn't criticize a product that does infact have a bad design. I would love for you to come over and try to pull this pulley off for me with the tools i have or have rented in the last few days lol. Since you seem to know what i should do.

V6 bird- Exactly the autozone puller was great but it was like a half inch from being able to spread around the pulley when it was clamped. That's what is so frustrating about it, i can't find a puller to do the job.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Have you even attempted a March removal yourself yet? I knew what i was getting into myself this past weekend, but thankfully I have a set of brains and skills to get it off with the right tools.

The only tool he needs is obviously you since you are King of Know it all. I still need to pass through Tulsa to visit a GF in Weatherford OK...Id like to pay you a visit on my way for acting like a bitch.
Look at you internet tuff guy. All I said was he bought a part & doesn't have the correct tools to work on it with & you wanna jump on me for it. I have done all the work on my car myself.

SUCK MY ****.

You are more than welcome to swing by & get a *** whoopin if you wanna. I got no problem makin short work of a douche like you.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:26 PM
On the tree

Ok which pulley are you trying to remove. If it is the stock one there are three tabs on the inside ring that slides over the crank snout. I used a 3 jaw puller that I got from advance auto parts, worked fine each time.

I had to reverse the jaws to get it to work, but they are setup to do that as they ahve release pins in them to flip them over.

To instal the new pulley I went and bought a longer bolt from a local supply store and some washers and just ran the bolt down until it seated the pulley most of the way then used the old bolt to seat it all of the way. Finally seat it to 240 ft pounds. Then take that bolt out and set a new bolt until it hits 32 ft pounds. Then mark the bolt and turn it another 120 degrees. You wont be able to turn it that far but get it as far as you can.

My first time it took me 2 hours in order to figure out how to hook the puller up and what not, next time it took me 45 minutes from start to finish.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
Ok which pulley are you trying to remove. If it is the stock one there are three tabs on the inside ring that slides over the crank snout. I used a 3 jaw puller that I got from advance auto parts, worked fine each time.

I had to reverse the jaws to get it to work, but they are setup to do that as they ahve release pins in them to flip them over.

To instal the new pulley I went and bought a longer bolt from a local supply store and some washers and just ran the bolt down until it seated the pulley most of the way then used the old bolt to seat it all of the way. Finally seat it to 240 ft pounds. Then take that bolt out and set a new bolt until it hits 32 ft pounds. Then mark the bolt and turn it another 120 degrees. You wont be able to turn it that far but get it as far as you can.

My first time it took me 2 hours in order to figure out how to hook the puller up and what not, next time it took me 45 minutes from start to finish.
March underdrive pulley, it took me about 10min's to the the stock one off when i removed it.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:03 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im tired of looking at this....
Old 10-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Launching!

Thanks me too please take care of it
Old 10-03-2006, 05:09 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by 89tang
Thanks me too please take care of it
The internet mechanics crack me up. that's all.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
The internet mechanics crack me up. that's all.
I love them too, they tell you everything but offer you nothing. They seem to be like those ppl. you'd like to buy them for what they know and sell them for what they think they know
Old 10-03-2006, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

well it just sounds like march was lazy and didnt make 3 small tabs like GM made. poor product engineering
Old 10-03-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Hey, if you get in that fight, make sure to post up the vid
Old 10-03-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

It's pretty sad that somehow this thread has led to arguments like this that have CONTINUED. Big Mike, we got your point. You obviously have a lot of first hand knowledge in working with these pullies and have provided a great deal of help. 89tang there's no reason to keep arguing. Spend that time and effort working on the pulley and get that damn thing off so we can all get some relief here.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trust me ill NEVER EVER EVER USE a MARCH u/d pulley. if i have to take it off again im replacing it with an SLP or something else.. u need the BIGGEST and i mean B I G G E S T puller you can find. its a PITA for sure. just take ur time... cuss a little, kick punch a wall... breathe some... cuss some more and repeat if necessary! itll work!