Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock Stainless F-Body Headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you tune a merge once it's made. On a pure race application, when using slip on collectors you can play with primary lengths by adding extentions to the primaries. The merge itself requires replacement of the cones (adding and subtracting length to the straight portion of the cone and also playing with the size of the opening at the collector itself. Unless you're drag racing with open headers it's a waste of time playing with the merge, especially when there's an entire exhaust system hanging off the end of the headers.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigArchidia
How do you tune a merge once it's made. On a pure race application, when using slip on collectors you can play with primary lengths by adding extentions to the primaries. The merge itself requires replacement of the cones (adding and subtracting length to the straight portion of the cone and also playing with the size of the opening at the collector itself. Unless you're drag racing with open headers it's a waste of time playing with the merge, especially when there's an entire exhaust system hanging off the end of the headers.
You would only be able to tune the length of the piping before it hits the merge cone. Obviously no one running on the street (or even a car with moderate track use) would care to do this, which is what makes me a bit disappointed in Edelbrock's decision to manufacture them this way for the LS1 market. Just weld the damn thing on there so it doesn't cause more troubles than benefits.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are they producing a Stainless Steel Y-pipe to match the headers? What will be the cost of a SS Headers & ORY setup?
Old 10-25-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

ypipe is 160, look at first post
Old 12-28-2006, 01:02 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't be pissed about the merge collectors (Although they leaked like a SOB when I had them on my 00 Z28, and they were even tacked)

I would be worried that they are using 304 stainless which is the cheapest stainless you can use in the 300 series. It does not have the high temperature fatigue resistance that 321 does. That is why I went with the "other" header company. They use 321. I had two sets of Edelbrock on my car. The first had the Ti-Tech coating came off after two weeks of driving (No rain or snow). The second set didn't fit right and I couldn't drop the trans with them still installed. But the coating was fine on that batch
Old 12-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt D
I wouldn't be pissed about the merge collectors (Although they leaked like a SOB when I had them on my 00 Z28, and they were even tacked)

I would be worried that they are using 304 stainless which is the cheapest stainless you can use in the 300 series. It does not have the high temperature fatigue resistance that 321 does. That is why I went with the "other" header company. They use 321. I had two sets of Edelbrock on my car. The first had the Ti-Tech coating came off after two weeks of driving (No rain or snow). The second set didn't fit right and I couldn't drop the trans with them still installed. But the coating was fine on that batch
Hmm doesnt Kooks, QTP and every other reputable header company use 304? You must be talking about those ones that are a rip-off design and have to have the collector fixed in order to use it. Ya great peice, but its 321, points up at the floor board but its 321.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Hmm doesnt Kooks, QTP and every other reputable header company use 304? You must be talking about those ones that are a rip-off design and have to have the collector fixed in order to use it. Ya great peice, but its 321, points up at the floor board but its 321.
Mine slid right in without a problem, without the collector issues, and cost half of what the others do. You must be thinking about something else
Old 12-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Banned

Mine slid right in without a problem, without the collector issues, and cost half of what the others do. You must be thinking about something else
No not if they are the ebay headers. The ebay headers have an issue with one of the collectors and are knock offs of hookers. Know one has ever had a problem with 304 but you seem to propose that there is a problem
Old 12-28-2006, 01:34 PM
Retired Street Racer

No not if they are the ebay headers. The ebay headers have an issue with one of the collectors and are knock offs of hookers. Know one has ever had a problem with 304 but you seem to propose that there is a problem
You wanna come over and look at my headers & duals buddy? Like I said, I have no issues with my eBay headers. Maybe those people had a bad batch or something. Don't be so quick to jump on the bandwagon. It makes you look like an idiot
Old 12-28-2006, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

Yippie...doesn't everyone else have this exact same thing? Welcome to the party Vic.

I'll stick with my Hookers
Old 12-28-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Richard,

Can you clarify a few things for me?

1) Are the collectors welded in by edelbrock and leak free?

2) AIR tubes present and available for 2002 year cars?

3) Slip on Ypipe or 3 bolt flange or similar?

Thanks!

Chris
Old 12-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Banned

You wanna come over and look at my headers & duals buddy? Like I said, I have no issues with my eBay headers. Maybe those people had a bad batch or something. Don't be so quick to jump on the bandwagon. It makes you look like an idiot
You can find thread after thread of it as well as the fix for. Your the one who suggested that 304 is inferior and yet you think I'm the idiot what ever!
Old 12-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CHRISPY
Richard,

Can you clarify a few things for me?

1) Are the collectors welded in by edelbrock and leak free?

2) AIR tubes present and available for 2002 year cars?

3) Slip on Ypipe or 3 bolt flange or similar?

Thanks!

Chris
Looking for this info as well. I want 1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8 race version only. No egr or air, with the collectors welded in place from mfg with slip on Y pipe (not ordering a Y). priced delivered to 97051
Old 12-28-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is what I found....

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...petition.shtml

Victor Series Drag Race Headers
NOW AVAILABLE WITH NEW TI-TECH FINISH OR CERAMIC COATING
These new drag race headers have innovative features to maximize power potential in competition. They are engineered with the correct firing order pulse sequence in the collector, unlike most competitors' headers. The 3/8" thick laser-cut flanges are robotically welded and contoured for a perfect fit. New fully welded headers include O2 sensor bosses and collectors for a no-leak installation right out of the box.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:48 PM
Retired Street Racer

You can find thread after thread of it as well as the fix for. Your the one who suggested that 304 is inferior and yet you think I'm the idiot what ever!
You're a dumb bitch. 304 is inferior when compared to 321. It has been proven. I am not saying that Edelbrocks are inferior, I was just simply pointing out that they are not the higest grade stainless header out there. But you were too quick to jump on me so GO **** YOURSELF!
Old 12-28-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Take it to PM fellas and leave it out of this thread.

Thanks
Chris
Old 12-28-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

they don't sell the stainless fully welded or i wouldve got them.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Any updates on this?

Old 01-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Tech Resident

bump.

anyone know if there are any fully welded sets of stainless steel headers coming out WITH AIR provisions for '01-'02 f-bodies? if so, i'd be very interested in a set for the future
Old 01-11-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I spoke with the tech guys at edelbrock.

The only fully welded ones are the mild steel with ceramic coating or ti tech finish. They also have standard (not merge) collectors. The stainless Ypipe is available however.

The stainless come with NO emissions fittings and only come with slip on collectors.

I am probably going to go with the ceramic coated mild steel headers ones with emissions fittings for an 02 and the stainless steel Ypipe.

Chris

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Stainless F-Body Headers