Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Gauge Pinned to the Left

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Pressure Gauge Pinned to the Left

I had to take off my intake manifold to clean all the oil out and put a new pcv valve and catchcan on. When I started it, the oil pressure gauge needle went all the way to the right and stayed pinned. I don't think I unplugged the sendor wire because then it would read "0". Any suggestions?

Also, I put my battery in the back a long time ago and when I first started it some of my gauges were jumpy but then settled down after a few minutes so maybe the voltage to the gauge could be off.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure you didn't break it/plugged in? Happens all the time when R&R the intake. Get an inspection mirror back there and make sure. Doubt it's the gauges/battery thing since it was something that happened a long time ago.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

I got under the car with a shop light and the sensor popped out of it's hole. I'm pretty sure I have to take the intake manifold back off. Would it be ok to drive around for like another week with the sensor out?
Old 10-19-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

So is it pinned to the left or the right? Niether one is good... I don't know much about these sensors; I'm not sure if all they do is read the oil pressure and give it to you on the gauge or if the sensors give important pressure info to other parts of the motor...? I'm curious to learn myself.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

It's pinned right. After looking at a few pictures on here, it's definitely broken off.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to be sure, we're talking about the oil pressure sensor - behind the intake, drivers side, on top? It screws in - I wouldn't drive it until it was replaced. GM has a tool (socket) to replace it, might be worth getting one if it'll keep you from having to remove the intake again - depending on where it broke.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Just to be sure, we're talking about the oil pressure sensor - behind the intake, drivers side, on top? It screws in - I wouldn't drive it until it was replaced. GM has a tool (socket) to replace it, might be worth getting one if it'll keep you from having to remove the intake again - depending on where it broke.
Winner!! You can also find the deep socket at some auto part stores. Cost me 5 bucks, vs 20 from a dealer. Isn't to hard to replace, just make sure you don't break it again putting the manifold back on.