Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Have you, or anyone you know, had any water problems after debaffling/sealing?
Yes, very bad problems.
3.92%
Just the filter getting wet.
27.45%
No, none at all.
68.63%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Water problems with debaffling/sealing the WS6 hood?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have driven through crazy downpours at highway speeds in my WS6 with my hood sealed directly to my airbox... still running a paper filter

No issues at all, no Water inside the airbox.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seals fine, its less restrictive/more efficient than my lid setup
Old 10-24-2006, 07:58 PM
12 Second Club

haha. nice pic! I appreciate it. Looks like its a good setup. I still like my BGRA/SLP lid. And now that its cold, I cant wait to do a nice highway pull to see how much it helps. Didnt have the BGRA last winter so I never got to test it in cold weather.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

I made my own box inside of the hood with sheet metal and epoxy, along with some weather stripping to seal it to the air box. I made another piece to put in when it rains, but i never bother since i've never seen any water in the clear lid. As long as your light on the throttle, i doubt any water will get in.
FbodPerformer, take it out for a cruise when its cold then pop the hood and check the TB and MAF they will be ICE cold.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

didnt they stop making the BG ram air?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Teching In

What do yall mean debaffle? I have an 02 SS. Debaffling it would be to take out the box lining on the underside of the hood below the scoop where it sits above the motor? There's 2 runners that connect to the scoop up top there are under the hood. Do I remove those? What's the benefits?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RyanZR1SS
What do yall mean debaffle? I have an 02 SS. Debaffling it would be to take out the box lining on the underside of the hood below the scoop where it sits above the motor? There's 2 runners that connect to the scoop up top there are under the hood. Do I remove those? What's the benefits?

Water problems with debaffling/sealing the WS6 hood?
I think he talking about WS6 hood.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I spent the money on my BGRA ( looks factory and works well) I tried taking out the big baffle in the WS6 hood and spraying a hose with very direct spray into the nostrils while my wife held the rpms at 2500. I also had sealed the airbox to the hood with foam rubber. After about 5 minutes of this I checked the K&N filter. It had a slight mist on it. The water apparently drains out those little holes in the hood instead of going into the air filter. The BGRA blocks all those little holes too so the few times my car sees rain I either use the rain block-off plate or pull out two of those rubber grommets that block off the little holes.

BTW as part of my testing before buying the BGRA I made back to back runs at the track sealing the airbox to the hood then unsealing it. It was a consistant tenth and 1 mph difference. That was when the car only had a few bolt ons so it may help even more with more mods.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I made a rain blocking plate after I debaffled my hood. I'm also running the Volant and I'm really happy with it so far. Here's some pics. 1st is the plate, 2nd is a shot of the filters through the hood, and the 3rd is with the plate installed
Attached Thumbnails Water problems with debaffling/sealing the WS6 hood?-rainplate.jpg   Water problems with debaffling/sealing the WS6 hood?-filterview.jpg   Water problems with debaffling/sealing the WS6 hood?-plateview.jpg  
Old 12-26-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm running with no baffles and a BGRA in the rain. No problems at all, even in heavy downpoors at highway speeds.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Andros
I completey debaffled my hood, have BGRA, and a Volant CAI. Ive had this setup for like 3 months now and have had no problems.
I thought the BGRA was discontinued? what setup did u have for 3 months now. anybody sale something similar to the BGRA. wish he would make some more!!!!!

fuerzaws6