Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the closest alternative to GMMG

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 01:56 AM
Dex
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim @ EAD Performance
The chambered mufflers are much more than just a pipe with dents in it. Thats like saying a bullet muffler is just a straight through pipe. The chambered mufflers get their awesome sound from the baffles that are created by the crimps in the outer shell. Depending on what brand, most chambered mufflers also have a stainless packing in the baffles also.

Both types of mufflers have a very distinct sound and tone to them, neither sound like straight pipes at all.

So you're saying this sounds like straight pipes? http://www.eadperformance.com/35thvi...0driveway2.mpg

If anyone wants more info/prices on either type of muffler, send me a PM/email.
I liked the sound of that. Very nice
Old 10-26-2006, 02:50 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dex
I liked the sound of that. Very nice
Thanks! For more clips and pics check the link in the sig

Definately doesn't sound like staight pipes like cop car would make you think
Old 10-26-2006, 02:58 AM
On The Tree

i have the stainless works chambered setup and it sounds awsome... plus its adjustable 3 chambered mufflers one in i pipe 2 at the tail pipes... i wanted it louder so i replaced the i pipe with straight pipe now it just sounds badass
Old 10-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cop Car
good job in comparing bullet mufflers, chambered mufflers and chambered exhaust as being the same thing. you are way out of the ball park. want to compare the stock muffler while you are at it?

SLP loud mouth and GMMG and other chambered exhaust will all sound the same as straight pipes. any straight flow mufflers or bullet mufflers are completely diffrent.
good job on comparing bullet mufflers, chambered mufflers and chambered exhaust as being straight pipe

i fail to see your logic. my comparison was MUCH more valid than yours, as mine actually makes sense and yours doesn't. i guess people will only believe what they want to believe.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

a good comparison for the gmmg catback would be the $20 cherry bombs.

so...your best bet would be to find the nearest 78 chevy farm truck, look under it to ensure it has no cats, then just take his exhaust.

why am i the only one who doesn't want my ls1 to sound like a redneckified 4x4? jail me for expecting more.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

GMMG if u have the money. Money well spent though!
Old 10-28-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

I have GMMG and I get compliments EVERYWHERE I go on it. People roll down their windows at stoplights to tell me how good it sounds (on it, or not).

If you want perfection, GMMG is the way to go. Ive heard quite a few different setups and this is not even just because I have the catback (because I didnt buy it, it came on the car), its just because I mainly bought this car in particular because it had the GMMG on it. The seller bought it for 60$ and thought it was some custom junk catback with resonators on it.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Launching!

GMMG is the most amazing catback. i wouldn't have considered anything else.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Specialized
I have GMMG and I get compliments EVERYWHERE I go on it. People roll down their windows at stoplights to tell me how good it sounds (on it, or not).
I've gotten the same thing from people of all ages. Sound is a very subjective thing, and the video's you'll find give you an idea, but I suggest you really hear one in person if possible. That being said, I ordered my GMMG back in 2002, and I don't think I've ever heard another one around here. I did base my decision on what I had 'heard' about them on the web - and I've never regretted it!

Also, to those who say it sounds like straight pipes or a farm truck - have you heard it in person? How about in the car? All I can say is there must be some great sounding LS1 powered farm trucks where you're from...
Old 10-28-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cop Car
people who spend $800 on straight pipes dont want to be told what they really bought. no mater what it still sounds like ***, and im not the only one that thinks so.
I paid 75 bucks for my GMMG at a junk yard. Guess I did oK with my great sounding straight pipes huh? The way it sounds is a personal opinion not a fact. Hate it all you want but I love the sound.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

from my perspective the GMMG sounds good but the Spintech sounds better
Old 10-28-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wait cop car, did you just say SLP loudmouth and GMMG sound the same?
Old 10-28-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hammertime
Also, to those who say it sounds like straight pipes or a farm truck - have you heard it in person? How about in the car? All I can say is there must be some great sounding LS1 powered farm trucks where you're from...
yes, a friend of mine has longtubes, ory, and the gmmg setup. his car sounds identical to my 84 chevy truck with headers and cherry bombs. i thought it was rather funny. there are a few people around the indy area that have loudmouth/gmmg setups, and they're all too raspy to distinguish. i just don't like the gmmg (or slp lm for that matter) because they are too raspy. if you want noise, just run pipes off the headers and out the back, why even put a "muffler" on it?

as far as the price goes - a fool and his money shall part.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nokeman
Wait cop car, did you just say SLP loudmouth and GMMG sound the same?
They sound quite the same with LT's and ORY...stock manifolds and with cats is where the difference is heard. I wouldn't mind having a GMMG though.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zach11
GMMG is the most amazing catback. i wouldn't have considered anything else.
X 4524857390485.5

Definitely was my first and only choice for a catback. Sounds great on stock manifolds and even better on longtubes and cats. I would hold out for the GMMG in my opinion.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
X 4524857390485.5

Definitely was my first and only choice for a catback. Sounds great on stock manifolds and even better on longtubes and cats. I would hold out for the GMMG in my opinion.
Same here. Only other set up I have considered was true duals out the back. But emmisions in cali is the problem.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Teching In

What exactly was your fisrt choice???

QUOTE=SweeTbone]X 4524857390485.5

Definitely was my first and only choice for a catback. Sounds great on stock manifolds and even better on longtubes and cats. I would hold out for the GMMG in my opinion.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-29-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I love my GMMG but it is LOUD with heads/big cam and ory. While its raspy up to 2500rpm, the song it sings above 3500 is the greatest sound ever. It seems to drop decibels right at 4k and at 6800 it is amazing. I do want to take some short bullets and weld them to the y-pipe, and try to make the rasp go away when I am cruising. I just hope it doesn't kill the sound above 4000.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
X 4524857390485.5

Originally Posted by wolfdogg40
What exactly was your fisrt choice???
My first thought when I was ready to purchase was to get a Magnaflow because of GMMGs price. I hinted at that for about 3 days. Until I though long and hard about it, and decided to get the one that I WANTED and not settle for something I didn't want because of price. Yeah, everybody knows that a GMMG is expensive, but nearly every single GMMG owner will tell you it's worth every penny.

FWIW, I did think about true duals, but I don't like the look of a Trans Am with no tips out the back. If I had a Camaro/Formula, I'd be a true dualing somma-bitch.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Teching In

would it sound close to this?
http://media.putfile.com/06-GTO-SLP-SYTEM

Quick Reply: What is the closest alternative to GMMG