Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which is better?
BG Ram Air
50.79%
SSRA
49.21%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

BG Ram Air vs SSRA

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well sicne someone brought this back from the dead...

there was a BGRA kit on ebay last week that sold for 100 bucks
Old 01-22-2007, 11:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking for one for about 2 yrs, damn I'm slow in finding one. usaully I hear it's been sold.
still looking.

fuerzaws6
Old 02-22-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I like my fast toys system... i never drowned the motor when i was using it as a daily driver!
Old 02-22-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

forget the FTRA were talking about the real CAI kits
Old 02-22-2007, 06:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
FTRA=
Old 02-22-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

I made my own BGRA out of sheet metal and weather stripping. Of course the quality is probably better on his, but mine didn't cost me anything, made it out of things i had around the garage. It's sealed and a straight shot to the filter.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01pewterbird
I made my own BGRA out of sheet metal and weather stripping. Of course the quality is probably better on his, but mine didn't cost me anything, made it out of things i had around the garage. It's sealed and a straight shot to the filter.

could you post pics of it for me plase?
Old 02-22-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

I can in two weeks when I go home for spring break.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

I searched fo 8 months for a BGRA - only ever found (1) and the guy thought he had a gold ingot in his hands - asked $375 for it used

The BGRA was a great mod - but was never worth the cost that was asked originally when new IMHO.

I ended up debaffling my hood, designed in 3D, and had my own ducts made to go from nostril opening to rectangular cutout in hood behind nostrils, and then added the Volant CAI with the sealed airbox and twin filters.

Now it TRULY IS Ram Air with the outside air being ducted directly thru hood openings and into the 'sealed to the hood' Volant CA box. No underhood heated air can get into the filter area.

Cost for the ducts to be fabricated was under $100 + my time at the computer in SolidWorks.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
I searched fo 8 months for a BGRA - only ever found (1) and the guy thought he had a gold ingot in his hands - asked $375 for it used

The BGRA was a great mod - but was never worth the cost that was asked originally when new IMHO.

I ended up debaffling my hood, designed in 3D, and had my own ducts made to go from nostril opening to rectangular cutout in hood behind nostrils, and then added the Volant CAI with the sealed airbox and twin filters.

Now it TRULY IS Ram Air with the outside air being ducted directly thru hood openings and into the 'sealed to the hood' Volant CA box. No underhood heated air can get into the filter area.

Cost for the ducts to be fabricated was under $100 + my time at the computer in SolidWorks.

I hate to bust yur nuts but it still isnt "Ram Air"
Old 02-23-2007, 06:00 PM
12 Second Club

Old 02-23-2007, 06:01 PM
FormerVendor

Default What?

Real CAI kit???

The FTRA has been track tested and proven again and again ever since we sold our fist one back in 1998. Several other companies have copied it entirely or portions of our design.

Check out www.installuniversity.com if you want an unbiased review or do a search on any LS1 Fbody forum. We stand behind our product and have never had a customer that wasn't pleased with the results.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Well then Webster, what's your definition of Ram Air?
Old 02-23-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well then Webster, what's your definition of Ram Air?
ram air is sealed to the airbox and creates a pressurized effect. you might have it sealed but its not "ramming" nothing but flys and bugs. your airbox isnt pressurized
Old 02-23-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
Real CAI kit???

The FTRA has been track tested and proven again and again ever since we sold our fist one back in 1998. Several other companies have copied it entirely or portions of our design.

Check out www.installuniversity.com if you want an unbiased review or do a search on any LS1 Fbody forum. We stand behind our product and have never had a customer that wasn't pleased with the results.

and yes im sure your product is a nice one but I'd rather have the BGRA or the SSRA since it goes to the very bottom and seems like it would scoop more air.

Sorry FTRA but im just not intrested in your product at this time
Old 02-23-2007, 10:01 PM
FormerVendor

The FTRA goes all the way down to the lower plastic air deflector. Since Fbodies are bottom breathers for cooling, that is the area that has the most airflow and the FTRA takes advantage of that. Perhaps you are thinking of the SLP cold air kit that only sits half way up the radiator and doesn't put itself into the path of oncoming air.

Sorry but the factory air hoods (modified or not) are not high enough off the hood to capture any high speed air. They sit in the boundry layer of air. That is why in the muscle car days, everyone went to cowl induction instead. The only way to make a forward facing hood scoop work is to have it high off the hood (like NHRA cars).

We can understand that you are not interested in the product but when someone comes on says it is crap or doesn't work, we have to step in and clarify how the product does work.

The top half of the SSRA is almost identical to the FTRA... yes, they copied that part from us! The only different between the products is that they went with a visible scoop under the bumber and made their part out of plastic. Ours is more stealth, made of T304 stainless steel, cheaper and includes a block off plate. If you ran them back to back, I doubt you would see any performance difference because the designs are so similiar. With that being said, spend your money were you like. It's your choice.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

ram air is sealed to the airbox and creates a pressurized effect. you might have it sealed but its not "ramming" nothing but flys and bugs. your airbox isnt pressurized
And just how do you think the airbox GETS pressurized?

And you didn't even go into the sub-sonic and super-sonic air velocity discussion...
Old 02-24-2007, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

And just how do you think the airbox GETS pressurized?

And you didn't even go into the sub-sonic and super-sonic air velocity discussion...
this was just answered, READ!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
Sorry but the factory air hoods (modified or not) are not high enough off the hood to capture any high speed air. They sit in the boundry layer of air. That is why in the muscle car days, everyone went to cowl induction instead. The only way to make a forward facing hood scoop work is to have it high off the hood (like NHRA cars).
thanks.......
Old 02-24-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

hey Thanx For All Your Input Boss
Old 02-24-2007, 11:26 AM
12 Second Club

Read this......http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
click on the FTRA link under tech articles.

your welcome boss.

dude, im not trying to be a dick even though i came off as one. sorry, but it has been proven that the WS6 hoods are more for asthetics rather than functionality, even though they DO get cold air into the air box its not truely enough to dramatically effect the power of the engine. its the cold air rather than the Ram Air effect that gives it the extra 15 advratised horsepower.

Quick Reply: BG Ram Air vs SSRA