Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter y-pipe vs TSP y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have poly mounts on my car and it still banged. My buddy has exactly the same setup also with poly mounts and his doesn't bang. Seems like they are a little hit or miss.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I Have My Pacesetters Ready To Install, But Im Really Not Wanting To Do The Polymounts (so Much Work), But I Dont Want To Kick Myself For Not, Or Really Kick Myself For Doing It And It Doesnt Help.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

My setup was welded on ... maybe that stops play and stops them from banging?
Old 02-13-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the TSP y-pipe, and was very dissapointed I had to hack it up and reweld.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

My TSP ypipe bangs and pulls aprox 3-4 degrees of spark because of it. I installed it and the pacesetter longtubes this past weekend and just as soon as I can I will have a brace welded to keep this from happening(hopefully before the week is out).
Old 02-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

"F" it...im doing the poly motor mounts, i wont let ls1blur down...haha....hope i dont "F" it up, or else imma be "F"ing mad. well, wish me luck
Old 02-13-2007, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive installed several tsp ypipes and havnt had any issues
yes its in about 4 pices but i find that if you get the 3in stainless exhaust banclamps from jes for like 10.99 each you will need 5 of them for the ssp pipe keeps the pipes nice and tight and exhaust leak free. fyi to help keep th pipe from banging when adjusting the pipe on the driver side wedge a 2x4 between the floor board and ypipe and then tighten the clamps and the n remove the 2x4 you should have no bnging issues
Old 02-13-2007, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1pwrdss
fyi to help keep th pipe from banging when adjusting the pipe on the driver side wedge a 2x4 between the floor board and ypipe and then tighten the clamps and the n remove the 2x4 you should have no bnging issues
That sounds like a damn good idea....has anyone tried shimming something soft and heat-safe (can't think of a better way to explain it) to dampen the Y pipe banging into the floor so that it isn't loud, annoying, and pulling timing?
Old 02-13-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My TSP ORY sucks.... I had to cut alot off my I-pipe in order to get it to fit.

No experience with Pacesetter ypipe though.

Also, the TSP ORY bangs the floorboard when hammered from a dig.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Launching!

When i did my pacesetters and pasesetter Y, i had a real bad case of banging the floorboard. Then i did poly mounts and the bang went away for about 2 weeks, then it was right back. I did take some header wrap and wrapped it around where it was banging to soften it and it did quiet it down quite a bit. Now i can barely here it. My other complaints with that y is it seems to have a real crappy merge and it took alot of hi-temp silicone and bandclamps to get it to stop leaking.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

I have the TSP and would recommend the pacesetter because you won't
have the hassle of putting the pieces together and aligning them as
the pacesetter is one piece.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

This is the only question I have, how is the Y pipe banging pulling spark/timing? This seems to be beyond me and having a few people with the same complaint leads me to believe that I totally missed a memo on something.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Alt
This is the only question I have, how is the Y pipe banging pulling spark/timing? This seems to be beyond me and having a few people with the same complaint leads me to believe that I totally missed a memo on something.

The only thing I can think of is the knock sensor is hearing the noise and it is interpreting it as engine detonation, so it is retarding the timing. Is that right??
Old 02-14-2007, 07:19 PM
10 Second Club

you get more adjustment out of the tsp y pipe because its in 4 pices the pace sett is on with very little adjustment
Old 02-14-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Have Pacesetter ORY. It sucks, Hit floor, Bad merge. Forget the y's go for true duals. thats the direction im headed.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

im doin my headers, hopefully next weekend, so ill let ya know how that TSP y-pipe goes, although i went with cats!
Old 02-14-2007, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

Just get the Mufflex "Bump Stop" hanger from ThunderRacing seen toward the bottom of this page.

It attached to a bolt on the subframe on the driver's side. I installed it loosely on my Pacesetter ORY, then bolted it to the subframe. Once I had it bolted up, before I tightened it around the ORY I had a buddy take a long prybar and pry down on my ORY giving me max clearance between it and the floorpan. While he held it, I tightened the hell out of it. It's been there for almost two years and has NEVER banged the floor once. Ground clearance is still great as well, it doesn't hang low or anything. Personally I'd play around with the ORY a little bit before I put poly mounts in. I've heard nothing but tales of *** pain from those who've swapped mounts.

My only bitch about the Pacesetter piece is the crappy way the driver's side runs into the passenger side pipe. I had to take a Dremel with a flex shaft and hog it out. Look in there when you get it and you'll see. It was like they cut a small hole, then welded the pipe to it. For the money it's a decent piece though. TSP's looks like it may flow a little better. If I had to do it all over again, I'd get the Pacesetter ORY, as well as a Flowmaster merge and have it fabbed into the ORY instead of their half assed junction. The merge I'm talking about is a few items up from the hangar in the TR link.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:08 PM
Teching In

I just installed my pacesetter headers and thier ORY this past weekend and it went very smooth.Everything fit perfectly with my hooker catback. Where the y-pipe goes over that bracket just before the I-pipe i cut a 3 inch or so rubber hose and wrapped it around with some clamps that way i hear no banging.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am so freakin sick of my TSP catted Y and LM combo. I want a Pacesetter ORY and a Magnaflow setup now. My MAIN reason is the clearance. If you're wanting to scrape over every cigarette butt in the road then the Catted Y is for you.

Is the Pacesetter deal the best ground clearance ORY? I would think it would be because of the flat spot. Im not too worried about the bumping...i've got poly mounts and a bump stop (that should tell you about my experience with the TSP catted y).

Any pics of an installed pacesetter y?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

I put my pacesetter ORY on about 3 weeks ago.That thing does like to bang the floorboard. I just jacked up my car took a long pipe and wedged it down some. I took a small piece of wood and put it above the y between the floorboard and the y. I then took a small jack and slowly jacked up on the y pipe with a piece of wood on the head of the jack. I watched the pipe crush down a little. The banging it hardly there at all now. I have ran several logs with HP tuners with the pipe hitting and with it not. I never once saw any KR on my logs. By the way the newer version of the Pacesetter ORY is a 2 piece.

Quick Reply: Pacesetter y-pipe vs TSP y-pipe