Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems after header & exhaust install

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D_Rock
Ok I found the O2 simulators at QTP and when I went to order them they were processing the order and i guess a Manager or something walked up and said what are you doing and he said processing this guys order for high flow cats and o2 sims and the manager said that they are not allowed to sell these anymore that they had like 3 more in stock but would probably be throwing them n the garbage due to them not being allowed to sell tham anymore. WHAT KIND OF CRAP IS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know of a site to order them from?

oh **** forgot about that. yea they are illegal to have now, you have to have them tuned out. pcmforless.com
Old 11-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are installing the O2 sims on the rear O2 sensors, correct? And if you didn't know, the rear O2 sensors don't have an impact on performance at all...the front two sensors (one on each side) are what the PCM listens to for fueling. I know the first question is a dumb one, but you'd be surprised...
Old 11-08-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah the sims are for the back. The ones i got came off a 02 ZO6 and work for a little bit but after about 30 minutes of driving the SES light comes on again. I have disconnected my battery and will let it sit there to kind of clear out its memory and then reconnect to try and let the computer learn the car again.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Yeah the sims are for the back. The ones i got came off a 02 ZO6 and work for a little bit but after about 30 minutes of driving the SES light comes on again. I have disconnected my battery and will let it sit there to kind of clear out its memory and then reconnect to try and let the computer learn the car again.
You are trying to many things at once. Do the simple stuff first.

1) Check your coilpacks and make sure they are completely connect.
2) Check all of you plug wires and make sure they all make a small pop when you push them on.
3. Pull your plugs and check to see if any of them are cracked.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

I had these problems about a week ago, What I ended up doing to diagnose it myself, I pulled both 02 sensors from the headers, Driver side was nice and clean, the passenger side was darker than cole, I cut and spliced the ones I had from the rear, and replaced them, then before I started it up I pulled all of the plugs from the passenger side and sure enough all of them was fouled out. They were brand new when I put them in, not even a month old at this time, So I cleaned them with carb cleaner, and connected everything back up. I have not had a problem since then.

I have a question for you. When your SES light comes on does it blink at you?

also did they reuse the old 02's and just spliced them and put them back in the car?

Well I hope you find out whats wrong

Lane
Old 11-08-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by crazylane
I had these problems about a week ago, What I ended up doing to diagnose it myself, I pulled both 02 sensors from the headers, Driver side was nice and clean, the passenger side was darker than cole, I cut and spliced the ones I had from the rear, and replaced them, then before I started it up I pulled all of the plugs from the passenger side and sure enough all of them was fouled out. They were brand new when I put them in, not even a month old at this time, So I cleaned them with carb cleaner, and connected everything back up. I have not had a problem since then.

I have a question for you. When your SES light comes on does it blink at you?

also did they reuse the old 02's and just spliced them and put them back in the car?

Well I hope you find out whats wrong

Lane
My SES light comes on and stays on. They used extensions for the front and O2 sims for the rear although I have just purchased new O2 sims cause the ones I have dont seem to be working.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

The headers you put in, are they Race style or do they have the air hook up?
Old 11-08-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by crazylane
The headers you put in, are they Race style or do they have the air hook up?

They have the air hook up. they are not the Race style.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same problem and it drove me nuts. I had one plug wire that was damaged and one plug that was cracked. If they put in new plugs AFTER the header install I would start looking at your plug wires. They might not look bad but after tugging on them to free them they are easily damaged.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

But wouldnt all this show up on the diagnostics test the dealership ran to see what was wrong? I am taking it back on friday tohave ccats put on and when I drop it off Im going to tell him to pull off all the wires and pull all the plugs to look at them and see if they are damaged or fouled.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

But wouldnt all this show up on the diagnostics test the dealership ran to see what was wrong? I am taking it back on friday tohave ccats put on and when I drop it off Im going to tell him to pull off all the wires and pull all the plugs to look at them and see if they are damaged or fouled.
Why take it to the dealership? They are probably going to laugh at you.
Do it your self, its rather simple and you dont have to be mechanically inclined to do so.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I had those symptoms after I did my header and it turned out to be a melted wire on the header coming from the 02 sensor and a cracked plug. The wire was of course easy to find but I had to remove all the plugs to find the cracked one. Good luck...
Old 11-09-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mcduffys
Why take it to the dealership? They are probably going to laugh at you.
Do it your self, its rather simple and you dont have to be mechanically inclined to do so.
Well Im taking it to the place who did the install and let him do it. It didnt act like this before the install and since he is the one who installed it and now its acting funny he is going to fix it not me.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok how many of you think that if the plugs and the wires are ok and everything seals up good I should get a tune to try and take care of everything. I have heard of people getting headers and exhaust on their cars and it running like complete crap afterwards, no two engines are exactly the same. Mabey my LS1 just didnt "TAKE" to the mods as well as others peoples cars. We will see tommorrow when my installer checks everything out. If it all checks out good then a tune would be my last resort.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you said each car is different, and sometimes it does need to be tuned to get the car to act right again
If everything checks out ok (plugs, wires, no leaks) then a tune would be a good idea
You might want to check with the installer to see what header gaskets he used, the ones from pacesetter are crappy paper gaskets that will leak, make sure he used the stock GM metal gaskets (either the original, or a new set)
Old 11-09-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
As you said each car is different, and sometimes it does need to be tuned to get the car to act right again
If everything checks out ok (plugs, wires, no leaks) then a tune would be a good idea
You might want to check with the installer to see what header gaskets he used, the ones from pacesetter are crappy paper gaskets that will leak, make sure he used the stock GM metal gaskets (either the original, or a new set)

Pacesetters now use a copper gasket that comes with the headers. Thats what he used.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

FWIW I'd at least try the OEM steel gaskets, but that's me
Old 11-09-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was told that the copper gaskets are the best you can get is this wrong?
Old 11-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OEM 3 ply steel gasket gets my vote.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Never had any leaks with the OEM steel ones, not saying the copper isn't good, but it's something else to check before you drop the coin on a tune that may not solve the problem
Check the simple stuff first

Quick Reply: Problems after header & exhaust install