Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems after header & exhaust install

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems after header & exhaust install

had my Pacesetter headers ORY and Magnaflow Catback installed today and I just got back from taking it out for a spin. Whenever I accelerate at all there is a sputtering sound coming from the engine bay. What the hell is this. Once when I was getting on it pretty good it made a loud sound like a Backfire and then a couple of minutes later the service engine soon light came on. I cant even enjoy the sound of the exhaust from the Sputtering noise coming from the engine. I am going to take it back to the shop that did it tommorrow and see what they can make of all this. Any ideas?

Last edited by D_Rock; 11-10-2006 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:39 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

crack plugs/disconnected wire plugs...
Old 11-07-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

exhaust leak maybe?
Old 11-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Has Unresolved Sales In Feedback/12 second club

Bad oxygen sensors mabe?
Old 11-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Check the plugs and wires...the wires had to come off to do the swap, so that would be my first guess. The plugs can also get damaged pretty easily when sliding the headers in to place if they were left in the heads - that's number two. If they removed the coil packs (which most people do), one of the plugs might be loose. That's number three. Only then would I check to make sure the header bolts were tight, and then check the O2 sensors. The SES light was more than likely a random misfire code due to one of the problems listed above...
Old 11-07-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Check the plugs and wires...the wires had to come off to do the swap, so that would be my first guess. The plugs can also get damaged pretty easily when sliding the headers in to place if they were left in the heads - that's number two. If they removed the coil packs (which most people do), one of the plugs might be loose. That's number three. Only then would I check to make sure the header bolts were tight, and then check the O2 sensors. The SES light was more than likely a random misfire code due to one of the problems listed above...
All the plugs and wires were replaced when we did the header swap. I sould find out tommorrow.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check for exhaust leaks where the headers bolt to the heads.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok took it to two different places today and they say that. the O2 sims are not reading right or sending out that right info or something like that . The place who installed everything said thatthere are no leaks at all as a matter of fact he welded up everything except where the headers meet the y-pipe. No leaks there, he checked and checked for exhaust leaks. Said that there were no leaks where the headers connect to the engine, but there are gaps there not on every cylinder but just a couple . When I asked the installer about this he said that there is a gasket on the gasket that seals the gasket to the header and that sometimes there would be a slight gap there sometimes and that they were as tight as they could go. The second place I took it to said that there shouldnt be and gaps there at all. When I asked the second place about the fluttering sound he said he couldnt here it, but its there plain as day and to me sounds like a lawnmower on steroids is the sound coming from the engine compartment. Then when the hood was lifted I asked the guy if he knew what the noise was coming from inside the engine and he said oh that ratteling sound? I said yeah and he told me it was the rocker arms and lifters that they made alot of noise on these cars. Is this true. I could kind of hear that same noise before I got the headers and exhaust installed but not as loud. Both places told me to disconnect the battery for a hour or so so that the computer could clear and then hook it back up so that the computer can relearn what the car is doing. Below Im going to type what is on the bopttom of the service order that I got from the second place so if anyone can make any sense out of this please chime in.

365 has PO 140, HO2S bank 1 sensor 2 insufficent activity. Has aftermarket exhaust system on vehicle & simulators in place of catalyst HO2S sensors. Bank 1 sensor 2 has no activity, Scanner shows 447mv. Also has exhaust leaks on Passenger side of vehicleat header gasket. Can see gaps in gasket. Recommend to customer that he take it back to where he had exhaust system installed & have them repair.

I am going to try and find brand new O2 simulators to replace the ones the installer put on there and see if that works to quit sending these codes to my computer that turn the SES light on. And as far as the fluttering sound mabey it is just the rocker arms and stuff inside the engine that got louder with the header install.

If anyone knows what to do please chime in, I cant stand to be driving around a car like this and it not work the way its suppose to. Thank you.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by D_Rock
Ok took it to two different places today and they say that. the O2 sims are not reading right or sending out that right info or something like that . The place who installed everything said thatthere are no leaks at all as a matter of fact he welded up everything except where the headers meet the y-pipe. No leaks there, he checked and checked for exhaust leaks. Said that there were no leaks where the headers connect to the engine, but there are gaps there not on every cylinder but just a couple . When I asked the installer about this he said that there is a gasket on the gasket that seals the gasket to the header and that sometimes there would be a slight gap there sometimes and that they were as tight as they could go. The second place I took it to said that there shouldnt be and gaps there at all. When I asked the second place about the fluttering sound he said he couldnt here it, but its there plain as day and to me sounds like a lawnmower on steroids is the sound coming from the engine compartment. Then when the hood was lifted I asked the guy if he knew what the noise was coming from inside the engine and he said oh that ratteling sound? I said yeah and he told me it was the rocker arms and lifters that they made alot of noise on these cars. Is this true. I could kind of hear that same noise before I got the headers and exhaust installed but not as loud. Both places told me to disconnect the battery for a hour or so so that the computer could clear and then hook it back up so that the computer can relearn what the car is doing. Below Im going to type what is on the bopttom of the service order that I got from the second place so if anyone can make any sense out of this please chime in.

365 has PO 140, HO2S bank 1 sensor 2 insufficent activity. Has aftermarket exhaust system on vehicle & simulators in place of catalyst HO2S sensors. Bank 1 sensor 2 has no activity, Scanner shows 447mv. Also has exhaust leaks on Passenger side of vehicleat header gasket. Can see gaps in gasket. Recommend to customer that he take it back to where he had exhaust system installed & have them repair.

I am going to try and find brand new O2 simulators to replace the ones the installer put on there and see if that works to quit sending these codes to my computer that turn the SES light on. And as far as the fluttering sound mabey it is just the rocker arms and stuff inside the engine that got louder with the header install.

If anyone knows what to do please chime in, I cant stand to be driving around a car like this and it not work the way its suppose to. Thank you.
Pull the spark plugs and check for one of them being cracked. If one of them is cracked, then its not firing correctly and most likely arching off the block or header. This will defintely cause the sputtering issue.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mcduffys
Pull the spark plugs and check for one of them being cracked. If one of them is cracked, then its not firing correctly and most likely arching off the block or header. This will defintely cause the sputtering issue.
Also check to make sure that none of the plug wires are melted.

Sometimes when headers are installed, they can rest against it and melt through, which ***** up your spark.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok would that show up on the diagnostics test the tech did at the second place that i went to. I had mentioned that to hima nd he said if it was cracked or plugs not in all the way you would be able to tell right there on the screen.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh and what about O2 simulators where can you get those from. ones that actually wrok right.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

oh and what about O2 simulators where can you get those from. ones that actually wrok right.
Im not sure if it would show up or not. I guess it depends what program they used. It shouldnt be a big deal though, let the car cool off and pull the plugs.

Also as mentioned above, check and make sure the plug wires are completely snapped on the plug. Sometimes it feels like it went on but it didnt. Listen for the little pop noise it makes when they go completely on.

Check the coil packs and make sure each of them are completely connected as well.

As far as the O2's go, you can get them at Autozone or Checker.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have called everyone in my area about simulators and no one sells them. they sell o2 sensors but not simulators
Old 11-08-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Order them off the internet
Old 11-08-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have called everyone in my area about simulators and no one sells them. they sell o2 sensors but not simulators
if I were id get a mail order tune that way you get the benefit of having it tuned for lt headers and have the rear-o2's deleted out period. may help when yur back in N.C. for emssions
Old 11-08-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok I just ordered brand new O2 sims and also ordered Maganaflows High flow CAts to put on my ORY. Im hoping that this will help aleviate some of the problem and hopefully pass me on emissions whenever I move back to N.C.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok I just ordered brand new O2 sims and also ordered Maganaflows High flow CAts to put on my ORY. Im hoping that this will help aleviate some of the problem and hopefully pass me on emissions whenever I move back to N.C.
lemme know when yur back and maybe we can hang out sometime
Old 11-08-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah will do.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok I found the O2 simulators at QTP and when I went to order them they were processing the order and i guess a Manager or something walked up and said what are you doing and he said processing this guys order for high flow cats and o2 sims and the manager said that they are not allowed to sell these anymore that they had like 3 more in stock but would probably be throwing them n the garbage due to them not being allowed to sell tham anymore. WHAT KIND OF CRAP IS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know of a site to order them from?

Quick Reply: Problems after header & exhaust install