Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler Suggestions and Location.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler Suggestions and Location.

Well heres the skinny.

I've got a borlamouth setup at the moment. The borla however is too big and the driveshaft has made my muffler its bitch. And ground clearance has become a distant memory. (As if the cutouts arent low enough.)

So here's what I want to do. I want to get rid of the borla muffler and weld in a new muffler or mufflers. I was thinkin the stock location, but that would require a specific muffler. Whereas I really like the sound of the gmmg, dynomax bullets, and Classic Chambered Powersticks. I was thinking of possibly welding in mufflers right before the tips?

Here are the details, I have qtp lt's, a frankenstien mufflex ORY (no cats), and a borlamouth. I'm on a tight budget, so the dynomax bullets are enticing. I like it loud, and I like it low. Old school muscle style.

Any suggestions? Can the mufflers be welded before the tips? Anyone have any similar set ups? Help me out!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the post on kooks duals, you'll see mufflers before the tips - a nice set up.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the tsp rumbler cat back..similar to the loud mouth. i left the bullet. When the pipe splits into two after the axle, I cut it right there, welded in 3 inch pipe to a flowmaster 1 chamber that is mounted transversely(like a stock muffler) and I did a hidden single tip.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks DaddySS, that looks real sharp. I've gotta find out the length of those 2 mufflers.
Brandon, I've gotta have tips on the back of the bird, and im trying not to make it so that I need any custom exhaust built.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

What Borla muffler do you have? I would have thought it should have fitted pretty much as well as the stock LM unit.

If you want cheap then I'd look at Classic Chambered Exhaust Powersticks, they are only aluminiumised steel, but should last ok.

Run one long lenght down the I pipe. Probably as long as will fit there. And remove the Borla.

This will probably be quite loud still. If you want to add more muffling for db reduction or tonal quality you could then add a short muffler before each tip.

Again I'd look at the Powerstick muffler as they can be had in various lengths. Or a Flowmaster 10 Series would also probably fit.

Or just run the Flows before the tips and not bother with the I pipe muffler.

Take a look at the Stainless Works Chambered exhaust, it should give you an idea of how the locate the mufflers.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:58 PM
12 Second Club

I was looking at the powersticks actually. I even considered running 2 powersticks before each muffler and just replacing the borla with piping. The only problem is the LM catback is 2.5 inches. So im not sure what ill do yet. If funds permit, maybe just buy the TSP rumbler catback and call it a day. Those dynomax bullets do sound good.

I really want to make sure the tone is nice and deep, because i'd like to go H/C in the future. And maybe even an iron block and other goodies. It's a trans am. I want it to sound like one!
Old 11-13-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NOIR
I was looking at the powersticks actually. I even considered running 2 powersticks before each muffler and just replacing the borla with piping. The only problem is the LM catback is 2.5 inches. So im not sure what ill do yet. If funds permit, maybe just buy the TSP rumbler catback and call it a day. Those dynomax bullets do sound good.

I really want to make sure the tone is nice and deep, because i'd like to go H/C in the future. And maybe even an iron block and other goodies. It's a trans am. I want it to sound like one!
the tsp rumbler is good, but it drones a lot. I have it.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

Ah, I dont want it any worse than it is now. So thats no good... hmm.

Well thanks for that bit of info.