Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K & N filter....who wants it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i just cleaned mine today actually and it had a **** load of drit in it so it must be doing something right... and there was no grime, oil, or dirt past it (in the MAF screen or lid)
Old 11-10-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Silver02TA
well i just cleaned mine today actually and it had a **** load of drit in it so it must be doing something right... and there was no grime, oil, or dirt past it (in the MAF screen or lid)

Thats because all the dirt that gets past it, the little stuff, over time, goes right into your engine and has a field day with your rings.

Old 11-10-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so because you dont know how to oil the filter properly, or install it. it sucks! wow you must be a scientist, sorry to knock your thread but mine works great. and im not saying there is anything wrong with paper filters either. i just choose to use something that i know works better. and that is after owning about 15. and no not for the same car. ive owned well over 60 vehicles which i still own 5, and they all have k&n's. and im almost positive ive been using them before you were born.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jam01
so because you dont know how to oil the filter properly, or install it. it sucks! wow you must be a scientist, sorry to knock your thread but mine works great. and im not saying there is anything wrong with paper filters either. i just choose to use something that i know works better. and that is after owning about 15. and no not for the same car. ive owned well over 60 vehicles which i still own 5, and they all have k&n's. and im almost positive ive been using them before you were born.
The only piece of information you are clueless about is the debris that gets by your piece of **** K & N. And noone is saying the engine will explode by using them, but there is no doubt in any intelligent persons mind that it will wear the rings more than if you were to use a paper filter....PERIOD.

It doesn't take a "scientist" to know that if people are picking up tiny bits of power by using a K & N over a paper filter, that MORE air is getting into the engines' cylinders, because after all an internal combustion engine is essentially an air pump. Therefore, it only takes the mental capacity of a retarded monkey on drugs that if more air is getting through, small pieces of debris will too. The small pieces that a paper filter WILL stop, resulting in a tiny loss of power, but will, without a doubt, yield better engine protection over a given time period.

And if you were using them before I was born than you're pretty old, because I'm 37, and the resultant of your age coupled with your use of these crappy filters guarantees us one thing......YOU have been losing more compression per year of human life than me, so far.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe if you followed directions and properly cleaned and oiled it you wouldn't have problems. It catches plenty of dirt when it is used properly. And those that get oil on the maf, you used too much oil.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I switched to the Accel Cool Blue. I read that it filters smaller particles so I thought I would give it a try. I held the Accel and the K&N both up to a light when they were both clean and you can see that the Accel would filter better than the K&N. The Accel has smaller holes through it. I like it so far.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Resident

yack yakc blah blah blah yak yac......
do your self (too everyone) a favor and everyone just think which filter to buy and buy it... if you don't like it .. buy a different one next time you have a dirty filter..
and end this
Old 11-11-2006, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K&N has been around for a long time, and has been used in many racing applications. I have to believe that there is some independent test data out there to prove how effective of a filter it really is. The link below shows some test data, but I am not sure as to how valid it is. I have had no problems with my K&N filter, nor have I seen any great performance gains over paper filters. I say both are probably O.K. if used and maintained properly. In a perfect world, everyone would install the filter correctly and maintain it correctly. I doubt we all live in a perfect world, so the argument rages on...

http://www.durangoclub.com/faq/Performance.html
Old 11-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

I have run my K & N for about five years and 55,000+ miles with no problems. I clean and oil it each spring and have not noticed any build up on my MAF or throttle body. Since I have a FTRA type set up, I consider it cheap insurance in case I hit a puddle or drive in the rain. BTW, it seems to flow well enough for me to run high elevens, bolt on only, so I have no complaints.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by toofazt
Your not going to "blow" your motor using a K&N filter over a paper filter. That's ****** stupid. I want to see a blown motor from using a K&N flter
Who here said it will blow your motor anyway?
Old 11-11-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Any of you that really think your air filter is yielding you any 1/4 mile gains must be clueless.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must be clueless then along with many others. I made back to back runs and picked up a .11 on the same 60 ft. times and a little over 1 mph. I do have a holley powershot which is based on the same principle as the k&n. Even though i can see where people have said they have had problems with them and over oiling them it did net me some gains in my case. As far as contaminating the internals of the engine i would like to see proof.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Quickin
Noone said BLOW UP. But there's a very good write up somewhere in this forum about a road race car: They took a brand new engine and ran a race, than did compression checks on all cylinders. It was pretty bad. They than installed another brand new engine and ran a race but put a dab a grease inside the lid after the air filter. They checked the compression again and it was again, BAD, and the dab of grease was covered with debris. They installed another brand new engine but took the filter they were using out (I'm pretty sure it was a K&N) and used a regular paper filter. The compression showed "better" than when it was just built because the rings got to seat perfectly.

Thats 100% proof that a K&N filter is crap and accelerates wear-and-tear, AS FAR AS PROTECTION GOES. WHO GIVES A DAMN ABOUT THE LESS THAN 1 rwhp it might give you. OVER TIME YOUR ENGINE GETS FUCKED.

And someone posted a 5 RWHP gain, NO WAY. It was just the small variation you get from doing multiple pulls the same day. When my engine was tuned years ago the pulls were 10 RWHP apart.

Look at the bold

Bro, I don't mean to be rude, but really you sound like an idiot.
If you want to tell people you think K&N filters suck for whatever reason you have (what reason is that?) thats fine, but do some tests, and show us how bad it is. Like said before K&N has been around for a long time, and Im sure plenty of tests have been done on them, and they don't seem to be out of business.
Come back and tell us how much K&N suck when you have some solid proof.

JD
Old 11-11-2006, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

I know why my k&n sucked... becuase it would not seal... My paper filter does..
Old 11-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
idunno bout you but i put in my K&Nand made reel gud power mycar layed tiar and sure did throme backin the seat and itnever did that b4 ibaught that awesome filtr mydad races and hesay it flow more better air than junk pontiac paper 1

I pray this is a total joke....
Old 11-11-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cobrakiller221
I know why my k&n sucked... becuase it would not seal... My paper filter does..
No problems with my Holley Powershot.

The people complaining about sealing problems on here seem to all be running the K&N.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

ditching my K&N, it just seems like it can cause 2 many problem. where the paper just has to be changed alot more often.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DadsZ28
I must be clueless then along with many others. I made back to back runs and picked up a .11 on the same 60 ft. times and a little over 1 mph. I do have a holley powershot which is based on the same principle as the k&n. Even though i can see where people have said they have had problems with them and over oiling them it did net me some gains in my case. As far as contaminating the internals of the engine i would like to see proof.
It might give you a small gain because if more air is getting through, you should make more power, but the DIRT is also getti ng through.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JDJP
Look at the bold

Bro, I don't mean to be rude, but really you sound like an idiot.
If you want to tell people you think K&N filters suck for whatever reason you have (what reason is that?) thats fine, but do some tests, and show us how bad it is. Like said before K&N has been around for a long time, and Im sure plenty of tests have been done on them, and they don't seem to be out of business.
Come back and tell us how much K&N suck when you have some solid proof.

JD
Look at the bold....you need to read and comprehend the whole damn post.

You wanted tests, thats a ******* test you moron. A real road race car that did just as I said. The K&N was letting more dirt and road debris in, when they stuck a paper filter in there with the 3rd brand new engine they had a good compression check at the end of the race. A REAL test. Plus, dirt would get all over the dab of grease with the K&N, NOT THE PAPER FILTER.

Did you not read what I posted and just started opening your pie-hole? WTF!!!!

And K&N is still in business because people like you and many other buy into their horseshit about being better. Gains, maybe, more dirt getting through.....GUARUN-******-TEED.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

And this is why I love LS1tech