Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 tahoe intake or roots type charger

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 tahoe intake or roots type charger

well i'm about to take it to lgmotorsports for apr heads and a custom cam, lifters, rods and springs. the best set of headers i found are shortys by gibson. i keep getting told they don't make long tubes for my truck. i also appreciate all the input on the intake swap, that's why i got on here and asked, me and my boss trust you guys to help us out. magnacharger makes a roots type charger for my truck that on a stock motor put out 415 on the dyno in a 5.3 silverado.

should i do an intake swap and fight the pulley problem or just go with a charger after lg gets done playing with it?
Old 11-13-2006, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bouncnbars
well i'm about to take it to lgmotorsports for apr heads and a custom cam, lifters, rods and springs. the best set of headers i found are shortys by gibson. i keep getting told they don't make long tubes for my truck. i also appreciate all the input on the intake swap, that's why i got on here and asked, me and my boss trust you guys to help us out. magnacharger makes a roots type charger for my truck that on a stock motor put out 415 on the dyno in a 5.3 silverado.

should i do an intake swap and fight the pulley problem or just go with a charger after lg gets done playing with it?
if you let LG play with it and they set it up for N/A then the blower wont be as effective. if you have them set it up for a blower, then you could be looking at closer to id say 500 at the rear wheels with all that and a blower.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should checkout our truck website:
http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/
Old 11-18-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've installed many intercooled Magnuson chargers on 5.3L Silverados, it is a great system. I believe the factory pulley is set to around 6-7 psi., but they sell an 11 psi. pulley (not smog legal) that will rip your face off! It is a must that you upgrade the trans to handle the power, if your truck has the police interceptor package, it may already have the hot rod components though.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Teching In

do i need to change my bottom end for the charger? do i need to change the tranny for the 6-7 psi?
Old 11-18-2006, 08:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

do i need to change my bottom end for the charger? do i need to change the tranny for the 6-7 psi?
bottom end will be fine, but the tranny is a different story.........thats opinionated.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lower end will be fine, as far as tranny goes, if it is NOT a 4L65E then you will need to do some upgrades. Namely the five gear low reverse planetary out of a 4L65E, and a valve body, and 2-4 servo from a 'vette 4L60E. On some of them we even had to up pump pressure, but that was on only about 30% of the vehicles. Now if you run the 11 psi. pulley, you will need to have tranny completely gone through to handle the power. And you will have to convert to an Eaton or Auburn posi. in the rear.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Teching In

would a 4l65e work on 11psi