Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

painted headers better than coated!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. The theory I've heard is that coated headers disapate the heat further down the exhaust system. Sounds like a good experiment for some one with EGT measuring.

Chuck: Have you observed this on cars with hot exhausts, e.g. lots of back to back pulls? I wounder if it is a function of the greater mass of carbon steel & coating versus the stainless. Have you compared uncoated reagular steel with stainless?
Old 11-15-2006, 09:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Interesting. The theory I've heard is that coated headers disapate the heat further down the exhaust system. Sounds like a good experiment for some one with EGT measuring.

Chuck: Have you observed this on cars with hot exhausts, e.g. lots of back to back pulls? I wounder if it is a function of the greater mass of carbon steel & coating versus the stainless. Have you compared uncoated reagular steel with stainless?
well makes sense as they would. they hold it in untill it gets down to the y-pipe or whatever where its not coated and it can dissapate easier. but if you think about it, it is still going to hold heat in the metal of the header itsself. thats where your coating comes into play. the coating keeps the heat in the metal in turn keeps the exhaust gasses inside the tube hotter still. which would put more heat on the vavles. im not saying i totally beleive the fact that the small amount of coating on the headers will cause the tuner to have to pull timing to reduce detonation, im just saying its not total bullshit. agreed that it would be a good experiment for someone with autotap.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

man, i was buggin out too. chuck is one of the best in the business when it comes to the lsx community. i know for sure the painted route is still alot cheaper than the coated route. i mean, will a coated header perform or make more power than a regular painted header?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude im going to buy some gold spraypaint right now
Old 11-15-2006, 10:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
man, i was buggin out too. chuck is one of the best in the business when it comes to the lsx community. i know for sure the painted route is still alot cheaper than the coated route. i mean, will a coated header perform or make more power than a regular painted header?
i think your getting your stories mixed up here. chuck wasent comparing painted headers to coated headers, he was comparing un coated, unpainted stainless steel headers to coated ones. the ONLY reason headers are coated is to keep them from rusting. after a while, even if your car is trailered and only sees a sunny track and you use painted headers, the paint WILL burn off eventully and the mosture in the air against the bare metal will cause it to rust. if you read descriptions on coated headers on the manufactures websites or whatever they will also comment that the coating will retain heat and keep under hood temperatures down. which it will but it will retain it in the header itself. i cant see this added heat causing the valves to heat up to the point of causing detonation though. but like Ragtop 99 and I stated, this will only be solved with someone that has autotap or a similar component. back to back dyno pulls wouldnt be an effective way to measure this because heatsoak in general throughout the motor would cause too big of an array of varriables to be accurate.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

sounds like someones trying to up their more expensive stainless steal headers
Old 11-16-2006, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ultraz
sounds like someones trying to up their more expensive stainless steal headers
maby, maby not. he is right about the coated headers retaining more heat that uncoated ones. stainless headers are better than coated headers hands down.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:58 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 11-16-2006, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bww3588
i think your getting your stories mixed up here. chuck wasent comparing painted headers to coated headers, he was comparing un coated, unpainted stainless steel headers to coated ones. the ONLY reason headers are coated is to keep them from rusting. after a while, even if your car is trailered and only sees a sunny track and you use painted headers, the paint WILL burn off eventully and the mosture in the air against the bare metal will cause it to rust. if you read descriptions on coated headers on the manufactures websites or whatever they will also comment that the coating will retain heat and keep under hood temperatures down. which it will but it will retain it in the header itself. i cant see this added heat causing the valves to heat up to the point of causing detonation though. but like Ragtop 99 and I stated, this will only be solved with someone that has autotap or a similar component. back to back dyno pulls wouldnt be an effective way to measure this because heatsoak in general throughout the motor would cause too big of an array of varriables to be accurate.

thanks for the info man. i might have gotten mixed up.. thanks bro!!
Old 11-16-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

but if you think about it, it is still going to hold heat in the metal of the header itsself. thats where your coating comes into play. the coating keeps the heat in the metal in turn keeps the exhaust gasses inside the tube hotter still. which would put more heat on the vavles.
Maybe. It depends on the heat transfer properties of the coating as to whether the metal is any hotter. I agree that the object is keep the exhaust gas heat flowing down the tube. The question I have is: Does keeping the exhaust gas hotter help with velocity and scavenging? If it does, it might actually suck more heat away from the valves.

Could also be that the coated do get hotter and transfer more heat to the head at the point of attachment rather than at the valves?

Time for some back to back experiments and EGT measurements.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bww3588
well you can get a knife and hang the cat up by his hind legs and start down.....wait.....i'd better not go into this on here.
lol.

now after reading all of these new posts that makes more sense. wouldn't have thought it would make that big of a difference.... but it would if you run the car lean up high instead of towards not as lean with whatever timing. it all depends on how you tune. each person has their own way that is different than everyone elses
Old 11-16-2006, 11:38 AM
12 Second Club

I agree that the object is keep the exhaust gas heat flowing down the tube. The question I have is: Does keeping the exhaust gas hotter help with velocity and scavenging? If it does, it might actually suck more heat away from the valves.
This is what I've always heard as the MAIN reason to use coated headers (even more than the rust prevention issue or the underhood heat issue), i.e.; the hotter the exhaust gas stays, the quicker it flows and therefore scavenges. I believe this is even in the marketing hype for most of the companies that offer or do coated headers.
It does not matter to me, if I ever decide to do headers I'll get 304 stainless anyway. The salt in the winter here will KILL anything else!
Old 11-16-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

so which will perform better? a coated one or painted one? cuz if coated were better nobody would be selling painted headers. i highly doubt a shiny coated header is gonna win races..
Old 11-16-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
so which will perform better? a coated one or painted one? cuz if coated were better nobody would be selling painted headers. i highly doubt a shiny coated header is gonna win races..
they all probably perform about the same... at that point you just need to get down to which brand will perform better.

honestly though if I'm really considering that much of a budget header... I'd go the painted route because if I **** them up its just cheaper to replace down the road...

painted headers are for those who really have a tight budget and know the risks of using it...

for a long time there were only painted headers and a few stainless here and there, no one coated headers ... either didn't have the technology or didn't have the money for it in the first place.

I've seen firsthand the life of a painted header through a big block vs. a coated header through a big block ... and honestly, a big block pushing 650hp+ will eat up a pair of painted headers in no time flat in a place like houston, or seattle or anywhere there is a lot of moisture ... coated headers have a much longer life, but once that coating hits its limit, they're gone as well... thats when you get to that point of "meh, replacement time"
Old 11-16-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

i went kooks stainless 1 3/4 and I love them. yes they aren't 'cheap' but damn they look good and i don't have to worry about cracking, repainting or anything
Old 11-16-2006, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Painted are ok for a track only car or car that doesn't see the outside elements. Coated are a cheaper alternative to Stainless. Stainless of coarse would be the best route, but not everyone can afford $700 for just a set of LT's.

I was always taught that the coated LT's help keep the exhaust gases hotter in turn helping flow the gas out better & scavange better. I have NEVER heard of anyone having to change tuning for LT's especially pulling timing. The only reason to mess with the PCM after LT's is to delete the emmissions codes.

I have had my coated Pacesetters on & had the car scanned multiple times since the install. And never found a problem at all. I think something got misunderstood somewhere during the conversation you had. If you gotta pull timing after LT's then something else is going on with the car.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Considering where I work, Im gona have to give this a big LOL