Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OR Header Smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OR Header Smell

Is the smell that noticable that people on the street can smell it also when you drive by them and is it that noticeable that when people get in your car they say damn whats that smell.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless I'm standing right behind it with the engine idling I never notice it.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

I always had the smell in the car and on my clothes. It sucked and I vow never to do OR again.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:26 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the Eau de ORY and that solved the problem.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

On my 96 SS, it was obvious by the smell at idle that the car did not have cats. And with the windows open you could smell it when idling at a stop light. I had a cop pull up next to me at a light one time and I was just happy he had his windows up. I added cats to the y-pipe and there was no power difference but it added peace of mind that I was closer to being legal(longtubes will never be legal in any state because it causes the cats to be relocated which is a federal law). I searched around and found a pair of 3" cats for a net price of around $40 so you can find them cheap enough.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by pipes_ta
Is the smell that noticable that people on the street can smell it also when you drive by them and is it that noticeable that when people get in your car they say damn whats that smell.
Yes. I was all set to go catless until I caravanned across the state behind a Z06 that had longtubes and Borla Stingers, no cats. Sounded great! But it stank, and after a half hour or so it started giving me a nasty headache. I've been around some other catless cars since and I always notice it - it's hard to miss. I decided I couldn't be that rude; I can't stand being behind other people's cars that stink. To say nothing of freakin diesels! I hate diesels! So I went with metal matrix cats. I figure I'm being "antisocial" enough with my loud pipes.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car doesn't have cats, and the only time I get any smell is sitting at a stop light or drive through for an extended period of time, typically when it's cooler out. Normally, it doesn't smell any different than it did when it was stock.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

yup mine smells like that too. but it wasnt that bad before i took off the cats AH HAHAHA (EVIL LAUGH) AH HAHAHAHA
Old 01-04-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
I bought the Eau de ORY and that solved the problem.
WOW--I didn't think anybody else used that besides me.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:55 AM
12 Second Club

Smell isnt noticible with with windows up, but if you drive with the windows down you better keep moving all the time. Once your car sits idle for more than 5 seconds with windows down the smell gets pretty annoying. My clothes and car smells like exhaust and after a few minutes it gives you a headache.