Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fernco Mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007 | 03:59 PM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by Ripper415
wait, do you really have to do this with the ssra? i'm thinking of getting either that or the ftra. i was leaning towards the more expensive ssra just because the plastic wont heat soak like the metal ftra, but if i have to mess around with relocating stuff then screw the ssra.
You will have to relocate it with the FTRA too. There isn't enough room for it to be near the A/C compressor or radiator. I just mounted it "dope" style next to the mouth of the SSRA and on the bumper. The biggest problem I had was mounting points and that my trans cooler is so big. It isn't the 24,000 GVW one, it is bigger than that.
Old 01-10-2007 | 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

All ill say is "janky"
I've tried a full fernco with !MAF and half fernco with stock bellows and a coupler...
They're just not worth it.
I've ordered some hose from a silicone shop that has been refrenced here several times and pix will be included when I do the whole intake cam pic post.

Long story short, leave the fernco for the plumbing IMO.
Old 04-10-2007 | 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

Time to bring this thread back to life.

Originally Posted by Brian2006
Baker hose FTW:

Is the Camaro Replacement Hose the piece that you are referring to? This one: http://www.bakerprecision.com/camaro.htm ?

If so then $30 is a lot better then $70

I would like to do this but I'm not willing to spend $70 on the slp product and I'm not going to take the risk of cracking my lid with the fernco. $30 is much more appealing.
Old 04-10-2007 | 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by noname024
$30 is much more appealing.
High temp silicone has a product you might like...

Availible in Black, red and blue.. and about 30$

here's the page for the longer sections...

here's just the 3" couplers

The 12" section works if your Mafless, and on compatible TB/Lid's and the 3" coupler would be just like a fernco, only not as suckily inflexible.

Its an option anyway.
Old 04-10-2007 | 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DirtyJohn
The 12" section works if your Mafless, and on compatible TB/Lid's and the 3" coupler would be just like a fernco, only not as suckily inflexible.

Its an option anyway.
Thanks! Looks like high temp silicone has some great products at great prices. Wouldn't it be better to go with the 3.25" though instead of the 3"? I've heard a lot of people complain about the 3" fernco being too small and how its hard to find a 3 1/4 fernco, which fits the best. And would I have to boil this or heat it up in any way to get it to fit like the fernco? Also would it be a direct fit or would there be some cutting involved?

And I didn't even know you could take the MAF out. I'm guessing that would require getting the code deleted so the car doesn't run like crap correct?
Old 04-10-2007 | 05:47 PM
Teching In

Ya man boil it get out with tongs dry with towel and use little bit of vasaline or ky. let it cool completely before running to get a ultra tight seel i even poured ice water back over the whole thing it will form to your tbt and maf by doing this.
Old 04-10-2007 | 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HOSS Z28
Ya man boil it get out with tongs dry with towel and use little bit of vasaline or ky. let it cool completely before running to get a ultra tight seel i even poured ice water back over the whole thing it will form to your tbt and maf by doing this.
The high temp silicone coupler? If your referring to the fernco, I was talking about high temp's coupler. I could understand how someone would get confused. Just clarifying.
Old 04-10-2007 | 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

the hts pieces are nice and only a couple bucks more than the fernco mod, and a hell of alot more attractive.
Old 04-10-2007 | 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by noname024
Thanks! Looks like high temp silicone has some great products at great prices. Wouldn't it be better to go with the 3.25" though instead of the 3"? I've heard a lot of people complain about the 3" fernco being too small and how its hard to find a 3 1/4 fernco, which fits the best. And would I have to boil this or heat it up in any way to get it to fit like the fernco? Also would it be a direct fit or would there be some cutting involved?

And I didn't even know you could take the MAF out. I'm guessing that would require getting the code deleted so the car doesn't run like crap correct?
My situation is with a 90mm TB and aftermarket lid, so I can only speak on that.

The fernco is all rubber so boiling will make it stretch, with the HTS stuff you may not want to boil it, and it might not stretch.
3.25" Would prob be right,
With a stock TB MAY be too big, but you can always wrap the TB with something to increase the size, like some weatherstripping or some such.

Removing the MAF is a whole can of worms you don't want to open right now.
Go in the PCM and Tuning section and search on "mafless" to see what it involves.

Keep in mind a smooth bellows is for the most part, more trouble than its worth money Vs. Performance wise.
Looking cool is all its really good for.
Old 04-10-2007 | 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive installed the fernco pipe on 3 ls1 cars. It was easy.. just trim, stretch and install!
Old 04-10-2007 | 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DirtyJohn
My situation is with a 90mm TB and aftermarket lid, so I can only speak on that.

The fernco is all rubber so boiling will make it stretch, with the HTS stuff you may not want to boil it, and it might not stretch.
3.25" Would prob be right,
With a stock TB MAY be too big, but you can always wrap the TB with something to increase the size, like some weatherstripping or some such.

Removing the MAF is a whole can of worms you don't want to open right now.
Go in the PCM and Tuning section and search on "mafless" to see what it involves.

Keep in mind a smooth bellows is for the most part, more trouble than its worth money Vs. Performance wise.
Looking cool is all its really good for.
Thanks, I think I'll measure the diameter of the tb first before getting anything. Unless someone has the a stock tb and can tell me what size hts coupler to get.

Yah, I figured messing with the MAF would be a lot of trouble, but its something else I can at least read up on.

Yup, that's all I want it for is appearance. I don't like the way the stock bellow looks. I'm sure it doesn't give hardly any performance gains. Maybe like 1 hp if that.
Old 04-10-2007 | 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just put the fernco on my car, boiled for 30 minutes, put it on let it cool, now its molded somewhat to the car. 5 Bucks, F SLP !
Old 04-11-2007 | 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

Still debateable, I still say just warm that boy up(boiling or oven) and slip 'er on.
Old 04-11-2007 | 03:10 AM
Banned

I'm looking into having a bellow made. 4 mm silicone with single mesh
Old 04-11-2007 | 12:39 PM
Teching In

I cant believe this topic has got so many people throwing in opions, you wont even know the difference, I haad a very good problem topic and got about 7 replies.
Old 04-11-2007 | 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bo White
Still debateable, I still say just warm that boy up(boiling or oven) and slip 'er on.
Well it'd already be on there but I have a problem with something that may or may not crack my $90 lid.
Old 04-11-2007 | 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Weres your sence of adventure lol. Actually the only reason I put one on my car was because I was bored and wanted to do something to it cheap lol. It does absolutely nothing for power but it sure looks alot better.
Old 04-11-2007 | 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

I put the Fernco on mine a few weeks ago, sucked to fit that thing on. Right in the Home Depot parking lot. That was after I bought one 3" to 3" couple, thought, no way, went back and got the 3" to 4", took that back and got the 3" to 3". I was pushing with all my weight to get it on.
Old 04-11-2007 | 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

I think I'll try the hts product when I get a few extra bucks. Actually, it'd be pretty interesting to see a poll of who has gotten a cracked lid from the fernco and who hasn't. That may persuade me if the odds are good.
Old 04-11-2007 | 07:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ibanez7
ive installed the fernco pipe on 3 ls1 cars. It was easy.. just trim, stretch and install!
x2 i didn't have to boil mine

Quick Reply: Fernco Mod