Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 manifold vs. LS6 manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 manifold vs. LS6 manifolds

I had the poll up for LT selection but was thinking that since I will have to swap out to manifolds every two years or so for inspection I might as well get the right one's for the job. I have stock '00 LS1 manifolds which I know flow better than the earlier versions. I was just wondering if it was worth me getting a fresh set of LS6 manifolds for swaps. Do they do even better than my stockers? Mine do look like crap, all rusted up. Shorties would be a waste so they are out but I figure manifolds can be had for cheaper. I was planning a upgraded SLP Y pipe for the stock setup with the newly replaced cats from the GM warranty. So it will be 1 3/4" LT with catted-Y, and GMMG normally. Then manifolds (LS1/6), stock cats, SLP upgraded Y and then GMMG on inspection trips. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 01-16-2007, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

not worth it. If ur gonna be doing the headers, go Longtube or bust.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

I was meaning for the interm of when I needed it for inspection. I am sold on the LTs but when swapping out for the visual for emissions I didn't know if it was worth looking for a set of LS6 manifolds or just stick with my 00 LS1s. I will swap out to the SLP Y pipe one way of the other. I just want to see if the flow is significant from LS6 to LS1 manifolds.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if your only going for emissions inspections, why worry about which ones flow better. its going to be an on and off thing. besides the vette manifolds are different than the f-body manifolds and would require a custom y-pipe.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:17 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Changing that crap out must be a beating....only because you know that it comes closer to that day every morning when you wake up.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have a visual inspection or just a OBDII hookup? Changing manifolds between those years require different y-pipes. Neither manifold will gain squat. You won't see any difference unless going LT or MAC mids. Trust me, I'm tired of the MAC vs. LT debate. You will see a gain with the MACs and a very slight bit more with the LTs under the curve. Try a search and you will find many debates on this. Most will show you that the difference is minimal and most who condem the MACS have never had them. The MAC's are also completley bolt on so if you do need to go back to stock it would be easy.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:13 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

Why wouldnt LT's pass emissions? Just have the codes deleted.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:09 AM
TECH Resident

Visual inspection for underhood and sniffer for the tailpipe. It would really be all about the locating of a shop that would play nice when looking under the hood. Emission sniffer should be no problem at all since I will be retaining all of the hookups. This is all a thought by the way for CA. They also now allows police to look under the hood if your car appears to be used for illegal racing. If it contains anything illegal by their emission laws they can impound your car at your expense.