Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle....help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rattle....help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So after i installd my loudmouth exhaust i started to hear this rattiling noise coming from under the rear pasenger seat....but it was only when i was stopped like at a light...as soon as i moved or put it in neutral the rattle would stop. I also noticed that it did it alot more as it got colder outside....is this normal and I just have to get used too it or is there somthing wrong?? I figured maybe the catback was hitting the axel but it looks like its clearing fine....any thoughts???...please this drives me and my friends fuking crazy at stoplights!!
Old 01-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blknight6989
So after i installd my loudmouth exhaust i started to hear this rattiling noise coming from under the rear pasenger seat....but it was only when i was stopped like at a light...as soon as i moved or put it in neutral the rattle would stop. I also noticed that it did it alot more as it got colder outside....is this normal and I just have to get used too it or is there somthing wrong?? I figured maybe the catback was hitting the axel but it looks like its clearing fine....any thoughts???...please this drives me and my friends fuking crazy at stoplights!!
if you put your car on a lift, you'll notice there is a piece of metal on your undercarriage that goes across your I-pipe. i don't know what it's called. it's black in color and it's about 2 inches wide and a foot long. your I-pipe is likely banging against that. i had that problem. my exhaust would vibrate when i slowly came to a stop or when i would put it in reverse, but if i put it in neutral it would be fine. i just undid the clamp on my I-pipe, raise the exhaust up an inch and retightened the clamp making sure the I-pipe was no longer touching the black, flat piece of metal. the rattle is gone now. i suspect your I-pipe is vibrating against this piece of metal.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Choco, are you talking about the tunnel brace?

The black piece is the stocker, red is the BMR one.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Choco, are you talking about the tunnel brace?

The black piece is the stocker, red is the BMR one.
yea, that's it. thank you, the word totally slipped my mind.

yes, like i was saying, your I-pipe is likely banging on the stock tunnel brace, which is the black piece of metal pictured above. if it sounds like a vibration/rattle and it happens when you're coming to a stop, accelerating VERY slowly (we're talking 0-5 mph) and gets a LOT worse when you're at a cold start and starts to go away once you warm up, this is your problem. again, get your car up on a lift, loosen the I-pipe clamp, lift the I-pipe up an inch, retighten the clamp, make sure the I-pipe clears the tunnel brace by an half an inch or an inch and you should be vibration free.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

you can shim your tunnel brace. thunder racing also has a piece to keep it from rattling. do the aftermarket tunnel braces have more clearance
Old 01-18-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=54
Old 01-18-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Regular

If not that check the upper panhard bar. My GMMG was hitting that where the pipe splits above your axle. Just a simple adjustment fixed it.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
yea, that's it. thank you, the word totally slipped my mind.
Not a problem, I forget the name as well but I do remember BMRs product (cause I have it) so I visit the website when I need to recall the name.

Blknight6989: If this is the source of your problem, another quick fix (in addition to what has been mentioned) is to throw a few washers between the floor and the brace.

dpw41285: The clearance (gap between the BMR tunnel brace and the bottom of the car) is around an inch greater. Problem is, it is now the lowest point of your vehicle, so if you're lowered like me, it scrapes everywhere.

For the record, I removed mine.