Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SSRAs are being made out of a much better plastic

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SSRAs are being made out of a much better plastic

I am now making the SSRAs out of Polypropolene plastic. This plastic is much more pliable than the ABS plastic that I used to make them out of. I switched manufacturers just recently. They recommended that I make them out of Polypropolene as they would be virtually shatter proof, and the plastic seams many times more durable. Here are some pictures of the SSRA scoops. The first one is of the old ABS version, the next is of the new Polypropolene version, and the last is of me standing on it. Anybody that has the older ABS version knows that to stand on the scoop would probably break it. I wish I would of made them from this plastic from the beginning. If interested, Leon at LM Performance ------->
will have some soon.
Attached Thumbnails SSRAs are being made out of a much better plastic-old-ssra.jpg   SSRAs are being made out of a much better plastic-new-ssra.jpg   SSRAs are being made out of a much better plastic-stepping-new-ssra.jpg  
Old 01-26-2007, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where I work we have a Polypropolene Department that makes containers. They with it is very tough stuff, I don't know what mil your product is made out of, but with 10 mil sheet, you can barely cut it with a razor knife.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ss1le02
I am now making the SSRAs out of Polypropolene plastic. This plastic is much more pliable than the ABS plastic that I used to make them out of. I switched manufacturers just recently. They recommended that I make them out of Polypropolene as they would be virtually shatter proof, and the plastic seams many times more durable. Here are some pictures of the SSRA scoops. The first one is of the old ABS version, the next is of the new Polypropolene version, and the last is of me standing on it. Anybody that has the older ABS version knows that to stand on the scoop would probably break it. I wish I would of made them from this plastic from the beginning. If interested, Leon at LM Performance ------->
will have some soon.
thanks will prolly order one soon.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 35th SS
thanks will prolly order one soon.
Give LM Performance a call.

If anybody has a SLP/FTRA cold air kit, and is interested in the scoop add on"Austin Scoop" these are also made of the new plastic.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

sweet, i was torn between this and the ftra with the main disadvantage of this being it breaking on curbs. now with this new stronger plastic i've been convinced to go with the ssra i know there has to be a bunch of other people out there who would like to purchase these also. how would we go about getting a gp for them?
Old 01-28-2007, 01:54 AM
On The Tree

i ordered your kit from lmperformance a couple of weeks ago, they said they would be in, in about a week. Is that because they are waiting on your new design?
Old 01-28-2007, 02:24 AM
TECH Resident

What kind of gains do these give u over a lid????
Old 01-28-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mpsoldier
i ordered your kit from lmperformance a couple of weeks ago, they said they would be in, in about a week. Is that because they are waiting on your new design?
Yes. He should have them by Thursday at the latest.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wish mine was the new material
Old 01-28-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ripper415
sweet, i was torn between this and the ftra with the main disadvantage of this being it breaking on curbs. now with this new stronger plastic i've been convinced to go with the ssra i know there has to be a bunch of other people out there who would like to purchase these also. how would we go about getting a gp for them?
You would have to ask LM Performance for a GP
Old 01-29-2007, 02:11 AM
TECH Resident

lemme know if you get a GP on these, I would deffinetly be done for that.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Veteran

is that what you made mine out of?
Old 01-29-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
I believe you got the very first one.

I think??????
Old 01-29-2007, 05:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
Visually the newer plastic is glossier and smoother in texture compared to the old version. The most obvious difference is how resilient the new material is. I posted some pics where I'm squeezing the mouth by hand, then released it. It flexes back everytime. It's also pretty thick material. Very nice piece.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

We have tanks at work that are made out of 1" thick polypro.
It's a great material for this application.

Is your new ssra fusion welded?
Old 01-29-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

I got one of the original SSRA's .. I thought it was good quality.....just watch for curbs.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by miamifan3413
What kind of gains do these give u over a lid????
anyone??? Depending on the gains I might be interested
Old 01-30-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

funny thing i was ready in my Superchevy Magazine (i think it was the March issue).. that the version of SSRA or (verarams version for the Corvette) didnt show any dyno #'s at all...

BUT.. when taken to the track.. 3 passes were made with.. and 3 without it.. they picked up a solid .3 seconds in the 1/4.. equal to about 30-35hp..

so when all these people always ask for dyno graphs and such.. dyno's dont always show real world scenario's.. just thought i would pass this along to anyone that wants to do a back to back test of the SSRA at the track and see how much they gain.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by miamifan3413
anyone??? Depending on the gains I might be interested
This isn't to replace the lid...it is a supplement.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
funny thing i was ready in my Superchevy Magazine (i think it was the March issue).. that the version of SSRA or (verarams version for the Corvette) didnt show any dyno #'s at all...

BUT.. when taken to the track.. 3 passes were made with.. and 3 without it.. they picked up a solid .3 seconds in the 1/4.. equal to about 30-35hp..

so when all these people always ask for dyno graphs and such.. dyno's dont always show real world scenario's.. just thought i would pass this along to anyone that wants to do a back to back test of the SSRA at the track and see how much they gain.
wt...f.

I've seen cam swaps change less, something else was up flat out. I know i've spoken out about ram airs before but i've never denied it may work, maybe good for 5-10 HP and if it makes you feel better to mod it.

But this thing putting out more then a set of long tubes is just laughable, and the mag that put that out even if that was the tiems changed should have put up ALOT more info then just back to back runs.

Even more so being a product that many tuners that are well respected don't buy into and or like.

I'm in no way bashing the product i'm sure it's finely made and upgrading the plastic is great, props to the maker. I'm just saying 30WHP+ and or .3 secs from this is just wow...