Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASP or March U/D Pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ive had an ASP for 5 yrs with no problems but it hasnt been a DD for over 2 now.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

March here, 10K miles, no issues. Had to machine it a little to get past the double roller.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

plan 2 get the ASP pulley... what else do I need 2 get with the pulley(belts, etc.) thanks
Old 04-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Teching In

ASP SFI harmonic dampener pulley... get an ARP dampener bolt if they make one for our applications as well.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
The only problem with a March is that it's a ROYAL PITA to get off as it doesn't have a regular bolt pattern that most pullers use. It requires a huge 3-jaw puller to remove it...
I received the March unit and it does have the 3-bolt pattern used by normal dampner pullers - perhaps you had an earlier version.

The March pulley is all steel and looks to be of very high quality - I don't see it coming apart. I will install it this weekend.

Steve
Old 04-05-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm... it would be stellar if they have changed it.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dooo Not Get A March Whatever You Do!!!! They could have changed it, but with my march u need to get the largest 3 jaw puller go get it off ITS A PAIN IN THE ***.. next time i take it off im getting an ASP
Old 04-05-2007, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

how much hp's are those pullies worth on a stock ls1?
Old 04-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
They could have changed it...
That's what I said - they did change it. Removal takes a normal 3-bolt puller now.

Steve
Old 04-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Well, I installed the March pulley on Saturday and I could not be happier. It was tight going on but not too tight. It's run-out (concentricity and parallelism) is perfect by eye - noticeably better than the ASP it replaced. I really don't see having the problems with this that I had with the aluminum hub and rubber ASP but time will tell.

Interestingly, the March pulley has a slightly larger (maybe 1/4" diameter) pulley for the AC belt - still much smaller than stock but maybe useful to us in Phoenix. I was still able to use the 25% underdrive belt I used with the ASP though.

BTW - The installer I borrowed from AutoZone was not long enough to engage the threads in the crank since they start about 2" back from the nose. I ended up getting a piece of 16-2.0 allthread and a nut from Ace Hardware and used it to pull the pulley/dampner on.

Steve
Old 04-09-2007, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

I would not recommend purchasing anything from March. I helped a buddy of mine put a new engine in his truck (78) he got the small block kit that is the 6 rib with every pulley for the engine. The power steering pulley was the press on style and we could not get the pulley on the shaft for anything. We ended up getting the pulley stuck half way on the new power steering pump and it will not come off. I ended up using calipers to measure the shaft and the inside diameter of the pulley. The inside diameter of the pulley was .006 smaller that the shaft diameter. Called March and they said oops we used to much powder coat on the pulley you need to sand the powder coat off so the pulley slip on. But the pulley is stuck on the shaft and will not come off. Used a 2 ton puller and heat and still would not budge. March would not send him a new pulley, but offered a new pulley at a reduced price of 10%. So he is out a new power steering pump and a pulley because they can’t measure.

“Measure with a Mic, mark it with a chalk, cut it with an axe"

The pulleys look good, but I will never purchase anything from MARCH ever!

And it seems they have numerous problems with LSX based pulleys too, not just an isolated issue with me!

ASP FTW!

Old 04-09-2007, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by schultzsj
It was tight going on but not too tight. It's run-out (concentricity and parallelism) is perfect by eye - noticeably better than the ASP it replaced.

Steve
Your eyeball is not a measureing device. And I dont even want to know what body part you used to measure how tight or loose it was.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wws699
Your eyeball is not a measureing device. And I dont even want to know what body part you used to measure how tight or loose it was.
That is precisely the point - the ASP was so bad, even new, that I could clearly see the run-out with my eyeball. Even my calibrated eyeball I can't tell if the run-out of the March is 0.002" or 0.005" but I can tell by eye that the March is much better than the ASP because I can't see any run-out at all on it.

I am sure you are kidding but I used my hand to tell how tight it was going on by feeling the force (torque) it it took on the wrench.

Stee
Old 04-13-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the March and It was tight to get in but to me that makes it much harder to back out. Alingment was good. I spin my motor to 7k and have not had any belt issues. I did pulled it once because I have done 2 camshaft and it wasn't that much of a pain to pull out. I did used the 3 Jaw puller.