Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which is better for the PCV: Breathers or Catchcan??
Delete the whole damn system and do the breather setup
50.00%
Add a Catchcan to the system
43.75%
Just put in a new valve and leave it alone
6.25%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Which is better for PCV: Catchcan or Breather??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Search for Catch Can and Homedepot catch can.. there are a few threads on this subject..with pictures. I am using a cheapo homedepot ($12) and it works!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...omedepot+catch
Old 04-04-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Catchcan has worked real well for me. Need to invest in a good one though if you go that route. The cheap ones won't do much for you.

Friend of mine swapped over to a breather and had a number of problems.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Catchcan worked a while for me. Then recently I took my LS6 intake off for a FAST 90 and oil just poured out. Somehow it was getting in past the catchcan. Still haven't figured that one out yet but anyway, I just bought 2 metco breathers and will no longer have to worry about it.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marv
Catchcan has worked real well for me. Need to invest in a good one though if you go that route. The cheap ones won't do much for you.

Friend of mine swapped over to a breather and had a number of problems.
What kind of probems are you talking about?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why the hell would you clean the breather? Mine doesn't get that dirty....
Old 04-04-2007, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

Those that say you had problems when removing the PCV system and using breathers only...PLEASE LIST THEM!
Old 04-04-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by edwardswb
Those that say you had problems when removing the PCV system and using breathers only...PLEASE LIST THEM!
I swear every time I hear people say they had problems after removing the PCV, but they NEVER LIST the problems.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They've already listed the extra oil in the engine compartment. And I have heard of some having nasty oil after just a couple of thousand miles from all the condensation.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it is time that someone does write up, on removing the PVC system, and putting a catch can in, and any other ways that keep oil out of the intake. I think that this would be the best and then stickey it. Because i would love to know how to delete the PVC system run breathers and be done with it.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

I have never gotten oil all over the engine compartment with my breather setup, and my oil doesn't look any different than it did before, I change it every 3k miles anyway so what difference does it make.

The ONLY drawback I can think of is it smells like oil at idle or just cruising after going WOT sometimes.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

Exactly. You're having to change it much more frequently than needed. That should tell you something, since those who know oil all agree that 6-8k is fine as long as you change your filter ever 3k. That's enough of a problem to me.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Luna
I have never gotten oil all over the engine compartment with my breather setup, and my oil doesn't look any different than it did before, I change it every 3k miles anyway so what difference does it make.

The ONLY drawback I can think of is it smells like oil at idle or just cruising after going WOT sometimes.
x2

i had this setup on my old motor and got what you had
buddy has same setup on his and same thing

now i have the breather setup on my mustang and with a 170k miles on the car it does get oil places but that motor is tired

if motor in good shape you shouldnt have any oil in the bay
Old 04-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by N4cer
Exactly. You're having to change it much more frequently than needed. That should tell you something, since those who know oil all agree that 6-8k is fine as long as you change your filter ever 3k. That's enough of a problem to me.
wat are you talking about? 3k is average for oil changes and if anything you change filter every other oil change. but if you care about yoru motor change it every 3k or so...its no more work then if you didnt have breathers. for my 408 i didnt even consider using pcv its ditched has two breathers as well
Old 04-05-2007, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

No, 3k is what the oil industry wants you to mistakenly believe. But if you read up on oil, you'll see that if you look past the propaganda, the 3k is wrong. Check out bobistheoilguy.com so you can see what I'm talking about. The oil is good for much longer as long as the filter is in good shape. Unless your motor has something wrong with it making it wear fast and put excessive shavings into the oil. Why is your new motor wearing so fast? I'm concerned about that.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by N4cer
No, 3k is what the oil industry wants you to mistakenly believe. But if you read up on oil, you'll see that if you look past the propaganda, the 3k is wrong. Check out bobistheoilguy.com so you can see what I'm talking about. The oil is good for much longer as long as the filter is in good shape. Unless your motor has something wrong with it making it wear fast and put excessive shavings into the oil. Why is your new motor wearing so fast? I'm concerned about that.
thats like the bs they say from ford you can go 8k without oil change. its not a matter of believing hype or anything. if you want to change oil early go for it. also in a modded application you might encouter fuel in the oil so now you put a lot of miles on it with fuel in oil and can risk damage.

if you go by the monitors in some of vehicles the determine the oil change. it depends on alot of things. if you do mostly highway driving then oil changes arent as needed as often but if you do all but stop and go driving i would change it early

but the result here is that breathers wont damage the motor. and your not getting anything extra into the oil as you would other wise
Old 04-05-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

but im seeing that more ppl are havin problems with the breather setup. the only problem i see with the catchcan is that it doesnt catch all the oil and havin to empty it out(which isnt a big deal with me).
Old 04-05-2007, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
A breather on the valve cover, and a catch can in the PCV line before it goes into the manifold is a very bad idea. That breather on the valve cover will be sucking air in, and it will be unmetered (hasn't passed through the MAF).
This is how I'm Set-up because my TPIS TB doesn't have the elbow for the breather line. Can this Unmetered air give you driveability issues? My cars being a PIA to tune, It's all over the place at idle along with the dreaded cruise control effect.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

I drive my car like I stole it every day, I beat the everliving **** out of it. I would change the oil every 3k regardless of whether I had a breather, a catch can or the stock PCV system.

I'm sure I could probably run my oil for 8-9k miles (with or without pcv) but to me a 40$ oil change is alot cheaper than a new motor.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ls1Envy
This is how I'm Set-up because my TPIS TB doesn't have the elbow for the breather line. Can this Unmetered air give you driveability issues? My cars being a PIA to tune, It's all over the place at idle along with the dreaded cruise control effect.
Of course unmetered air is going to cause problems! Think about what your really doing here. You're plugging a hose into your valve covers that goes into your intake manifold. This is fine as long as there are no leaks but a breather is just that, a giant vacuum leak in the valve covers. So you will be sucking air straight into your intake manifold (from the valve covers) and not letting it go past the MAF. Unmetered air will definetely cause the tuning problems you're describing.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:16 PM
10 Second Club

The air won't enter the intake tract if you don't use that hose. That's true.

And why is nobody paying attention to the air/oil separator? It is designed to get the oil out!

Quick Reply: Which is better for PCV: Catchcan or Breather??