Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EXHAUST QUESTION??? (sound clip included)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EXHAUST QUESTION??? (sound clip included)

http://www.ls1sounds.com/SLPloudmout...utted-cats.wav
THis is the clip i found

So i cant afford to get LT's and ORY like i was planning for a while which sucks but I'd still like to make it a bit louder. How much would gutting my cats make a difference? and i hear people say it sounds like **** but the only clip i found sounded ok to me. any suggestions and if so whats the best way too do this??
Old 04-04-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone at all??
Old 04-04-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah...gutting your cats will probably make it sound raspy. To make it louder, add a cutout maybe?
Old 04-05-2007, 12:52 AM
12 Second Club

if you're doin lt's and ory, sell the loudmouth and get somethin else. you'll hate it, its obnoxiously loud, you WILL get pulled over, and it will have more rasp then any exhaust you've ever heard. i just sold my lm and bought a hooker catback b/c i couldnt take it anymore
Old 04-05-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00slowredz
if you're doin lt's and ory, sell the loudmouth and get somethin else. you'll hate it, its obnoxiously loud, you WILL get pulled over, and it will have more rasp then any exhaust you've ever heard. i just sold my lm and bought a hooker catback b/c i couldnt take it anymore
Now that I think about it, there was someone locally that had LT's, ORY, and a loudmouth and it didn't sound very good at all. I agree with 00slowredz. A new catback will probably be in order if you get LT's and an ORY.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so the LM isnt for everyone one/soft at heart...

i heard everyone bitch, moan, and cry how loud the LM is with LT's/ORY, and guess what, it isn't. I love mine, i wanted loud, I HAVE NOT BEEN PULLED OVER, and I don't hear the rasp everyone talks about more than any other system.

don't let one person who "couldn't take it" steer you away from something you want. once you get the money and get the setup you want go for it. then if you dont like it, sell it and go for something else...
Old 04-05-2007, 10:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the loudmouth w/ lts and ory. It is quite loud, but man does it sound good at WOT. I have not been pulled over and I drove the car on my honeymoon past several cops in LA, MS, AL, & TN. I did get a speeding ticket once and the cop said my car sounded good(asked a bunch of questions about it). My brother has a camaro w/ TR230, pacesetter lts, ory, & magnaflow catback. It's less raspy but not much quieter than mine & sounds almost identical at WOT. To each his own I guess.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Ya...i Have Long Tubes And Ory Waiting To Be Installed When I Get The Time, But To Hold Me Off And Free Up Some Power From My Flowmasters, I Put In A Cut Out, And It Sounds Pretty Damn Nice. Its Cheap, Sounds Good, And U Can Close If U Dont Want It Loud All The Time...especially If U Get The E-cut Out Like I Did.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i heard everyone bitch, moan, and cry how loud the LM is with LT's/ORY, and guess what, it isn't. I love mine, i wanted loud, I HAVE NOT BEEN PULLED OVER, and I don't hear the rasp everyone talks about more than any other system.

don't let one person who "couldn't take it" steer you away from something you want. once you get the money and get the setup you want go for it. then if you dont like it, sell it and go for something else...
It's really just about personal preference. The loudness issue is no problem for me. Hell, check out my sig. or search for some of my sound clips and you'll see that I'm no stranger to "loud." When I heard that guys car here locally, it wasn't so much that it was extremely loud or raspy, I just didn't care much for the way it sounded. Blknight6989, if you like your loudmouth, then keep it. I was just giving you my opinion. I do have some experience with removing cats and keeping the stock exhaust components with an aftermarket catback. My catback was a corsa but when I took the cats off, it did introduce a little bit of rasp.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have stock headers with gutted cats and magnaflow and I love the way my exhaust sounds, not annyoingly loud but nice and deep and quiet at idle but very loud with great tone at WOT. I love the setup and it was much cheaper than LT's as I can't really afford them right now, some cars get raspy with gutted cats but I really like my setup and most people I know who have gutted theres also have pretty nice sounding exhaust. If your simply looking to make the car louder I would get an electric cut-out as they are cheap and would make it much louder and gain a little hp.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSwt00SS

ok dude....you have got to be the only person on this site that doesnt KNOW that a lm with lts and ory is RASPY. if you like it, good for you. havent been pulled over? then you're lucky. all i was doin is giving my opinion and trying to let someone else learn from my mistake. I wish i woulda listened the people that told me it was annoyingly loud and raspy...i woulda saved myself a lot of time and money. some people love the sound of it and i'll agree that it sounds sick at wot. i think it sounds pretty good at idle (especially with a cam) but anywhere in between idle and wot......sounds like ****

welcome to my opinion, which is also the opinion of approximately 95% of the others on this forum
Old 04-06-2007, 06:24 AM
On The Tree

ok dude....you have got to be the only person on this site that doesnt KNOW that a lm with lts and ory is RASPY. if you like it, good for you. havent been pulled over? then you're lucky. all i was doin is giving my opinion and trying to let someone else learn from my mistake. I wish i woulda listened the people that told me it was annoyingly loud and raspy...i woulda saved myself a lot of time and money. some people love the sound of it and i'll agree that it sounds sick at wot. i think it sounds pretty good at idle (especially with a cam) but anywhere in between idle and wot......sounds like ****

welcome to my opinion, which is also the opinion of approximately 95% of the others on this forum
i agree.at idle sounds nice and also at wot.but everything in between to me at least sounds terrible.but everyone is different.if you like it great.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:46 PM
12 Second Club

thanks! my opinion in the matter was to inform him not to let someone steer him away from a setup he wants/wants to try, because that specifc setup was not to their liking/enjoyment. aren't opinions great?! i also read that you decided to swap because of your young child and it possibly being to loud for them. you have your reasons for swapping out and i have no issues with that.

i have heard they are raspy, but i dont hear it to the extent where it takes away from the driving experience enough for me to feel the need to swap cat-backs. i get compliments on the sound all the time even Harley rider's who say they can hear it over their own straight pipes...

yes, its about personal preference, i agree. peope love it or hate it. some have even said it sounds like a trash truck on it's last leg. it's unfortunate that MY opinion got under your skin. also, just another opinion: let the people (this 'other' 95%) chime in with their thoughts. i'm sure some wouldn't particularly care for you to speak on their behalf. thanks and have a great weekend...
Old 04-07-2007, 12:28 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSwt00SS
thanks! my opinion in the matter was to inform him not to let someone steer him away from a setup he wants/wants to try, because that specifc setup was not to their liking/enjoyment. aren't opinions great?! i also read that you decided to swap because of your young child and it possibly being to loud for them. you have your reasons for swapping out and i have no issues with that.

i have heard they are raspy, but i dont hear it to the extent where it takes away from the driving experience enough for me to feel the need to swap cat-backs. i get compliments on the sound all the time even Harley rider's who say they can hear it over their own straight pipes...

yes, its about personal preference, i agree. peope love it or hate it. some have even said it sounds like a trash truck on it's last leg. it's unfortunate that MY opinion got under your skin. also, just another opinion: let the people (this 'other' 95%) chime in with their thoughts. i'm sure some wouldn't particularly care for you to speak on their behalf. thanks and have a great weekend...

ok, i just posted my opinion before because thats what this thread is about. you decided to be a DICK about the whole thing so i responded. thats great that a few people have that setup and actually like it. do i give a rats *** if everyone likes me to speak for them? NO. i wasnt even speaking for anyone, its a fact...MOST PEOPLE who have the loudmouth, say that it is way too loud, raspy and sounds like ***. i think its great that you get complimented by bikers though, thats all that matters

o yea, you have a nice weekend too
Old 04-07-2007, 12:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blknight6989
http://www.ls1sounds.com/SLPloudmout...utted-cats.wav
THis is the clip i found

So i cant afford to get LT's and ORY like i was planning for a while which sucks but I'd still like to make it a bit louder. How much would gutting my cats make a difference? and i hear people say it sounds like **** but the only clip i found sounded ok to me. any suggestions and if so whats the best way too do this??
this should help you out a little bud...

so go do a search and read all the threads about the lt/ory/lm setup and when you get done, you might just realize that NOT MANY PEOPLE like your setup. yea, if its on someone elses car that i dont have to drive and listen to everyday it might sound mean. but not when you have to listen to that raspy **** all the time
Old 04-08-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow so idk if anyone noticed but out of the 14 posts like 3 people answerd my question. I said I WASNT doing LT's and ORY and i kno that it will sound like *** when i do thats why im buying a borla xr1 when i do the whole setup! all i wanted to kno was how much gutting my cats would change the sound and volume of my car and hte best way to do it?
Old 04-09-2007, 01:39 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard a few LT/ORY/LM combos and they all blow IMO. Just about any exhaust sounds good cranking up, idling, and revving up.

Driving around under a load is where they really begin to sound like ****. Being outside the car, especially behind it, (where 99% of the people in the world will be), it sounds like death in a bad way. I see all these videos where people crank/rev cars and WOWzers it sounds nice, then you drive around them on a cruise.

Some people will like it, but some people also like Milli Vanilli.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:40 AM
12 Second Club

...you decided to be a DICK about the whole thing...
please, there is no reason to resort to name calling. that only shows immaturity, and gets this thread off topic...

it's ok though, i still love ya!

BK6989, i believe that you will like the sound of the LM with the factory setup and gutted cats for the time being. in the future when you go to LT's/ORY, it sounds like you already have a plan for your setup at that time. good luck and keep us posted!!!
Old 04-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a LM with Dynatech LT's, catted Y, and I loved the way it sounded!! It made my baby cam sound mean as hell. It was loud but everyonethat came up to my car said it sounded good and wanted to know what I'd done to the car. My buddies GMMG with LT's and an ORY was just as raspy if not more. His car had a bigger cam, heads, and a 90/90 combo. Basically, go to LS1sounds .com and listen to all the sound clips in various combinations and make your own decision. I have a GMMG on mine now and it made my cam sound mundane comapred to before. Still sounds good but I kinda miss my LM sometimes. Best advice is to make your own decisions because opinions are like ********...everyone has one!!!