Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straight pipes/no mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight pipes/no mufflers?

Ok, not sure if this has already been posted someplace...I removed the muffler from my 2000 WS6, and so far no problems, put a good 20k miles since then, if not more, and I love the sound. Does this actually increase horsepower? I know about the back pressure deal, but is it actually going to make an increase, and if so-how much? Any input=a big thanks!
Old 04-16-2007, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I done that on mine when I first got it and couldn't feel any differance at all. I did find out if you take off the cats with no muffler it is very raspy. I ended up putting a magnaflow on since I have headers and no cats
Old 04-16-2007, 04:07 AM
TECH Resident

You gain hp but lose tq, I am running straight pipes on my vette and it def made a difference up top
Old 04-16-2007, 04:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've driven my cars without a muffler before to an exhaust shop before and it was just so blatantly loud that I felt like I would get a ticket if I went more than 1/4 throttle. Its cool that some folks like to mix it up like that though. Definetly wouldn't mind driving a car on an open cutout on days I was pissed off if cops didn't care.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cutouts have shown time and again a 10-15hp gain over stock and even some catback exhaust setups.

so i would guess you are right about in the same range.

i ran LTs, orp, 18" bullet behind the ypipe, back through a 3" I-pipe, and then a turndown for a while. sounded good. the bullet really helped the rasp due to no cats.

then i threw on another 24" bullet behind the axle and hide it all nicely...sounded even better.

bullet off the ypipe:

horrible ghetto turndown behind the axle...and it ended under the car..it wasn't a tip:

2nd bullet w/ turndown, tucked up nicely and painted black for stealth...couldn't see it from the back:
Old 04-16-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1C5Vette
You gain hp but lose tq, I am running straight pipes on my vette and it def made a difference up top
wrong. You will gain both HP and torque, both of which will show up at a higher rpm. A few of the clips in my sig are open Y pipe, no muffler/cats... you can see that it's no slouch.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

I ran no cats just straight pipe dumped before the axle for a little while and noticed a difference up top.. The loudness was cool for awhile, but eventually the rasp had to go..
Old 04-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input from all- I think I noticed an increase back when I had it done, car felt a little quicker, but it always does when you are hoping for a gain and looking for it.I'm thinking of getting long tube headers, most likely pacesetters, w/ a borla exhaust. Just something new with more power...
Old 04-16-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6
wrong. You will gain both HP and torque, both of which will show up at a higher rpm. A few of the clips in my sig are open Y pipe, no muffler/cats... you can see that it's no slouch.
However you will loose the torque on the low end of the RPM band.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
However you will loose the torque on the low end of the RPM band.
That's not losing torque, that's shifting it.