Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harrop 8-throttel intake finaly installed !

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007 | 06:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
How expensive was that intake?
The CF unit is $12,400 + shipping

The aluminum one is $5,300 + install kit + shipping

Old 11-04-2007 | 08:07 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I've seen the sticking throttle issue on every thread about these intakes. They are definetly an awesome design, but still rough around the edges. Every person I've seen on here has given up on them.
Old 11-05-2007 | 03:41 AM
Teching In

I am not about to give up on mine yet ! It is a fantastic manifold and the problems do not look to difficult to fix . The most obvious ones are the butterflies which are ( on mine ) not elliptical enough and made out of steel. The linkage to the throttle spindles could also probably do with adjusters on each link to make balancing easier . I assume the Harrop fix is some brass butterflies cut differently but they seem to be quite slow in getting back to me so I may have to get them done myself by a ITB manufacturer here . They say it is easy and cheap which is refreshing and surprising that Harrop have not just stuck some in the post .
Old 11-05-2007 | 11:08 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I've also heard of throttle linkage adjustment issues. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see someone get one to work.
Old 11-05-2007 | 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I've also heard of throttle linkage adjustment issues. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see someone get one to work.
Agree with you Beaflag VonRathburg,

With the Air filter on...
With the Air Box on...
Having a better efficiency at least than a Fast 90 hood closed...
Beeing tuned as it's theoretically possible, meaning an ovelap of 32° @ 0.050 idling at 800rpm with zero surging...

Waiting for the snow in August in south Florida...

Christian
Old 11-26-2007 | 05:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Plasticman
I am not about to give up on mine yet ! It is a fantastic manifold and the problems do not look to difficult to fix . The most obvious ones are the butterflies which are ( on mine ) not elliptical enough and made out of steel. The linkage to the throttle spindles could also probably do with adjusters on each link to make balancing easier . I assume the Harrop fix is some brass butterflies cut differently but they seem to be quite slow in getting back to me so I may have to get them done myself by a ITB manufacturer here . They say it is easy and cheap which is refreshing and surprising that Harrop have not just stuck some in the post .
Plasticman ...
Have you made contact with us yet??
Perhaps I have not connected your Handle here with an email, but we have not had an enquiry about the throttle blade replacement for quite a while.
Please email me via ken@harrop.com.au
Please ensure your return email address is noted ... we had an enquiry (quite a while back) that is from an address that constantly bounces.
Old 06-15-2009 | 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How much power gain can u see from this intake on a big cube with FI ? I know the throttle response would be sweet but what about power? and Tq?
Old 06-17-2009 | 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1999FirehawkLS1
How much power gain can u see from this intake on a big cube with FI ? I know the throttle response would be sweet but what about power? and Tq?
Almost one year the owner of Harrop didn't came inside this forum...you should email him I guess...

Christian
Old 06-20-2009 | 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

you'll gain all over the powerband. this manifold lets the heads flow whatever they flow basically. there isn't a shared plenum so when the intake valve opens, it has it's own atmosphere to pull air from, almost positive air pressure on top of it at the time it opens. Due to cost, this is not an intake for a stock car, although it would see gains, it would be a massive waste of time not to put this manifold on a higher performance motor....IMHO
Old 06-20-2009 | 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
you'll gain all over the powerband. this manifold lets the heads flow whatever they flow basically. there isn't a shared plenum so when the intake valve opens, it has it's own atmosphere to pull air from, almost positive air pressure on top of it at the time it opens. Due to cost, this is not an intake for a stock car, although it would see gains, it would be a massive waste of time not to put this manifold on a higher performance motor....IMHO
Hi 2000_SS,

Do you have any results to provide of the Harrop with Air Filter(s) ON and hood closed, in real driving...very interested...

Christian
Old 06-20-2009 | 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

there isn't a shared plenum
And you are wrong on this one...
THERE IS A PLENUM...last results I saw with the two Air Boxes ON (which IS a plenum, one on each side or cylinder bank...) the results were bad...

But I am waiting to be updated about my questions on this Harrop since almost four years...and you might bring some light.

Christian
Old 06-20-2009 | 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Stick with it Uncle C. You may actually prod some new info out of this thread.

How's things with you? Shoot me a PM... BTW leaving Sunday night, wish me luck.
Old 06-20-2009 | 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by miami993c297
Hi 2000_SS,

Do you have any results to provide of the Harrop with Air Filter(s) ON and hood closed, in real driving...very interested...

Christian
nope sure dont........YET

And you are wrong on this one...
THERE IS A PLENUM...last results I saw with the two Air Boxes ON (which IS a plenum, one on each side or cylinder bank...) the results were bad...

But I am waiting to be updated about my questions on this Harrop since almost four years...and you might bring some light.

Christian
Nope, not wrong...any more that is...they no longer sell their "installation kit" that includes the air boxes. you either run without filters with open trumpets, or you rig up something, like on Jesse Bubb's GTM from Wait4Me Performance:

I'm more than willing to bet that if this intake showed poor results, it was in the tune. They are historically difficult to make perfect, but i've never seen one NOT make phenominal gains, although i'm sure its happened somewhere.
Old 06-21-2009 | 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

Nothing new is showing on their website

http://www.harrop.com.au/products/intake_systems.html

and if I wanted a racing intake manifold, my choice woudln't be this one...

BTW, let me correct a mistake I did in post #31...there is no plenum on those intakes...plenum is before the TB...

BTW again...what is the AIT with the king of mounting in the picture above

Christian
Old 06-21-2009 | 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Nothing new is showing on their website

http://www.harrop.com.au/products/intake_systems.html

and if I wanted a racing intake manifold, my choice woudln't be this one...

BTW, let me correct a mistake I did in post #31...there is no plenum on those intakes...plenum is before the TB...

BTW again...what is the AIT with the king of mounting in the picture above

Christian
yeah i'm pretty sure they never update their site. if you really want any info out of them, email Michael Hewitt at Michael.Hewitt@harrop.com.au. if he's in or around his office, he's been really good about answering my questions.

I have no idea what's going on in that picture but it DOES work, and it is just a racecar....
Old 06-21-2009 | 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

I have no idea what's going on in that picture but it DOES work, and it is just a racecar....
I am just questionning what kind of Intake Air Temperature is obtained with the way the intake is in the picture...

In a race car application, having IAT as close as possible of ambient is a huge priority...at least since the end of the 40's...

And managing the sonics and wawes in the air box is definitivally a huge budget in R&D in racing...at least since the early 80's

I don't see those two goals reached in the above combo...

As for tuning those ITB...I don't see the OEM PCM managing the injectors individually...

Christian
Old 06-21-2009 | 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

I am just questionning what kind of Intake Air Temperature is obtained with the way the intake is in the picture...

In a race car application, having IAT as close as possible of ambient is a huge priority...at least since the end of the 40's...

And managing the sonics and wawes in the air box is definitivally a huge budget in R&D in racing...at least since the early 80's

I don't see those two goals reached in the above combo...

As for tuning those ITB...I don't see the OEM PCM managing the injectors individually...

Christian
these are all questions i have too...i honestly can't answer those definitively. Obviously you must go speed density with that setup. As for IAT, i can only assume the intake has provisions for it on the front side somewhere by the TPS or possibly in/on/around one of the runners on the manifold. here's the only other pic i have of that GTM:

i have a PDF blueprint of the intake showing only final dimensions and a few views of it. i copied the pertinent parts and saved as a .BMP, the PDF and the pic above were sent to me by Michael at Harrop, here it is:

The image didn't turn out quite as i'd hoped, but you can see all the vacuum provisions on the backside and the mounting places for the oem TB sensors on the front side...i'm GUESSING there might be a place for an IAT on there somewhere...but could be wrong.

As for tuning, i know they're very difficult, or can be, and that's why a lot of people don't run them or try and give up. I'm going to give it a shot on my 454 and see what happens. I may even go so far as to trailer the car across the country to have the right person tune it. That may not sound like much to some people on here, but i'm just a broke-*** kid with a $14K engine in a used camaro It's going to take an act of God to get my car running once i finally have all the parts to finish it, which at this point is just the intake, EWP, and a driveshaft that will hold the power.

Quick Reply: Harrop 8-throttel intake finaly installed !