Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porting and descreening MAF

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porting and descreening MAF

If I were to do this on a 2000 C5 what would the side affects be if any? I did it on my 98 Z28 and it didnt do anything but gain and I had no driveability issues. I want to hear it from someone who has actually done it on their car. I dont want to hear someone repeat things that they have heard. I keep getting mixed signals from members as some say good and some say bad but I can not tell if its simply word of mouth or from their own experience. Thank you.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Launching!

+1. I wasn't planning on doing it, but then I was talking to another LS1 owner and he said he had nothing but good things happen.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

if you are a M6 you will proabbly be fine, as the auto's don't really like the descreen until you take it to a tuner for some reason.

I have taken mine out for more than a year now with no problems. I also couldn't tell the difference.

Ask your tuner and see what he likes to work with the best.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been running my car with Thunder Racing ported MAF ends for a while now and I haven't had anything bad happen to me. It's on my 98 z28 M6. Once in a while it'll throw a code saying too lean but it isn't anything that can kill the engine. I just have to make sure it is installed correctly and delete the code. It won't come back unless I unplug the sensor and reinstall it.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:52 PM
12 Second Club

I descreened my MAF while tuning on the dyno just to see what it would do. It ended up leaning my car out by a full point. It did gain like 5hp to the wheels but thats after he adjusted the fuel table. Definately wouldnt suggest doing this if you plan on driving it before tuning.

Originally Posted by 98redM6
Once in a while it'll throw a code saying too lean but it isn't anything that can kill the engine. I just have to make sure it is installed correctly and delete the code. It won't come back unless I unplug the sensor and reinstall it.
Obviously its not good for the engine if the engineers of the car decided to make a code to tell you that the car is running lean. Granted I am not a fan of engineers (im a helicopter mechanic) but some of the things they do is actually for a reason.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

i descreened and ported and polished my MAF, no problems, and a slight gain in throttle response
Old 05-02-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

descreened and it ran lean... though my situation i advise against it. and their is no noticable gains... its all in everyone's head. it's funny people think that they can feel a 5rwhp difference
Old 05-02-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

u are just asking for trouble porting and polishing a maf, u may screw up something and eventually would go back to stock, I took the screen out of mine and it was hard to tune and had to eventually buy another stock one. The tuner also told that messing with the maf will eventuall eat uo 3rd and 4th gear. Thats y u see ported mafs so cheap everywhere like ebay
Old 05-02-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
descreened and it ran lean... though my situation i advise against it. and their is no noticable gains... its all in everyone's head. it's funny people think that they can feel a 5rwhp difference
i wasnt sayin i noticed hp diff just a throttle response increase
Old 05-02-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

I removed the screen on my old Z (which was a daily driver). I had no problems with the car on the road, but I also had no dyno info to see how my A/F ration etc. was changed.

But honestly I never noticed any kind of a gain but did hear plenty of horror stories, so I'm just going to leave the one in my SS alone.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SlowazzVette2
If I were to do this on a 2000 C5 what would the side affects be if any? I did it on my 98 Z28 and it didnt do anything but gain and I had no driveability issues. I want to hear it from someone who has actually done it on their car. I dont want to hear someone repeat things that they have heard. I keep getting mixed signals from members as some say good and some say bad but I can not tell if its simply word of mouth or from their own experience. Thank you.
I've done it on a few cars. My vote is : Don't bother....
Old 05-03-2007, 01:45 AM
Board Certified Idiot

Keep It in your car Untill you are going to Spray some N20 in there..
Old 05-03-2007, 05:42 AM
Staging Lane

why dont you just get rid of it all together and get a mafless tune?
Old 05-03-2007, 05:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by throttlehappy
why dont you just get rid of it all together and get a mafless tune?
Not feasible for everyone.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
Not feasible for everyone.
whys that? you make more power without it
Old 05-03-2007, 06:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

whys that? you make more power without it
You have to have someone tune it and not everyone has the money to pay to tuner to do it or the time it takes to sd tune a car.

Buying the so???are and doing it yourself is a cool ~$1k easy.

Oh and your car runs better with the maf anyway and the power difference is negligible. Especially when you are well below 600hp which I know people have used the stock maf up to.

Until the maf becomes a reasonable restriction then sd is not worth it. Especially if you have a change in season coming up. Your car will run shitty unless you get another tune to fix it. Most good tuners can forsee this and prepare you a decent tune for summer/winter that can be flashed in very quickly.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:51 AM
Staging Lane

You have to have someone tune it and not everyone has the money to pay to tuner to do it or the time it takes to sd tune a car.

Buying the so???are and doing it yourself is a cool ~$1k easy.

Oh and your car runs better with the maf anyway and the power difference is negligible. Especially when you are well below 600hp which I know people have used the stock maf up to.

Until the maf becomes a reasonable restriction then sd is not worth it. Especially if you have a change in season coming up. Your car will run shitty unless you get another tune to fix it. Most good tuners can forsee this and prepare you a decent tune for summer/winter that can be flashed in very quickly.
i payed $900 for my tune and one things for sure, it runs heap better/harder mafless
the only drama i have with changes of season is when it rains i have no traction, not that its hard to break traction in the dry though

id say the majority of people over here go mafless
Old 05-03-2007, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

i payed $900 for my tune and one things for sure, it runs heap better/harder mafless
the only drama i have with changes of season is when it rains i have no traction, not that its hard to break traction in the dry though
I've been reading about guys that get their car sd tuned in the summer. Drive it a little bit then the car goes into storage for something.

Then they bring it out and instead of being 90 out is 32 and the car is like wtf is this ****.

Probably wouldn't matter much if you don't have that big of a difference in the seasons.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:02 AM
Staging Lane

I've been reading about guys that get their car sd tuned in the summer. Drive it a little bit then the car goes into storage for something.

Then they bring it out and instead of being 90 out is 32 and the car is like wtf is this ****.

Probably wouldn't matter much if you don't have that big of a difference in the seasons.
we get 4 seasons, im yet to have a problem and if i do my tuner would sort it out
Old 05-03-2007, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

we get 4 seasons, im yet to have a problem and if i do my tuner would sort it out
But still. Thats $900 that would be better put towards a FAST intake, nitrous kit, cam, or rockers that would give you more power then an sd tune.

I'm not sure how $900 translates from Aussie monies.