Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A New AIR Idea - What do ya think

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A New AIR Idea - What do ya think

So I recently removed the AIR in my 02' Z28. Now I just have this pump and a lot of rubber tubing lying around. I love free mods, as does everyone I think, so I started thinking about what I could use this pump and tubing for. Figured it wouldn't do jack **** for the radiator and it would probably look stupid, but what if I reversed how the AIR works and used the Pump to put fresh air from the outside into the Induction box, instead of sucking it out of the box and putting them into the headers. I figure the tube the pump originally sucked through you could cut short, then somehow make up a small high flow air filter (cone type filter) at the end to filter the air coming in. Then just use your custom skills and run a tube to where the pump originally sucked out of. You would also need to figure out how to keep it on all of the time. Some of you maybe removed it because you didnt like the sound it was making or whatever, personally, I couldn't hear it when the pump was turned on so it makes no difference to me ..

Haven't done any of this yet, just started thinking about it the other day and thought I'd post. In doing this, it will probably partially defeat the purpose of removing the AIR in the first place - 1. Clean up the Engine Bay 2. Less weight. 3. Annoying Noises from Pump

I don't even know if the pump is strong enough to put enough air in the box to make a difference but it may, and it would definetly be COLD AIR going in. Before I removed the pump I felt the air as it sucked it out of the box and it was flowing pretty quickly/stongly ..

What do ya think, anyone ever do this before/think of something like this . .

.. I just like working on my car especially when the mods are cheap/free ..

. .Wanted to get some opinions before I spent an hour doing this . .
Old 05-03-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

The spinning in the pump creates heat, so you wouldn't have "cold air induction" from it. Also, if it worked, the amount of power made would be equal to power lost from the engine driving the pump. Just get rid of it.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

the AIR pump is not engine driven BTW
Old 05-03-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

so basically you are thinking of making a "custom" turbonator.... SWEET!! lol

I don't think you will see any gains honestly, just ditch the damn thing. Plus you gotta remember it only stays on for what....5mins?
Old 05-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

A simple jumper can fix how long the pump runs
Old 05-03-2007, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

The thing is already gone .. I ddnt think there would be any gains either but might as well see what others think. And like ALT said, you can make it run forever with just a fuse .. but I think silent1 was saying that the amount of electricity that would take to run a pump like that would have the alternator working over time?? I think?? And I dont know how much the pump will heat up the air, I still think it the air going in would be at a good temp ..
Old 05-03-2007, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Default sell it on ebay

just throwe that crap away like everyone else does.it doesnt flow enough cfm to affect anything
Old 05-03-2007, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Can I get any money for .. The **** is worthless

EDIT: I now have an AIR system for sale .. Any takers

J/K, unless you really want it