Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter To Flex Plate Clearnace (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter To Flex Plate Clearnace (pic)

I would like to know if the gap between the flex plate and starter gear is too much. I am not sure but I think it is ok because the gear on the starter actually moves forward to engage the flex plate right?
Attached Thumbnails Starter To Flex Plate Clearnace (pic)-starter-flex-plate-gap.jpg  
Old 06-15-2007, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pict is real hard to see???
Old 06-15-2007, 11:43 AM

I know sorry it is with my phone....I am just worried about how far off the distance between the stater gear and the flexplate is.....
Old 06-15-2007, 11:47 AM

Ok let me try again. What I want to know is if the flex plate needs to be over top the starter gear or does the starter gear move forward and engage the flex plate? Basically I have a spacer behind the flexplate so that I can bolt the motor to my th350 tranny.
Attached Thumbnails Starter To Flex Plate Clearnace (pic)-starter-flex-plate-gap.jpg  
Old 06-15-2007, 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

I thought it pushed out to engage during cranking and pulled back in after startup.
I suppose I could look tonight as I have the starter and plastic plate off and will be working in that area.
I'll try and remember to look.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

No, that should be fine. I'm not sure how big the gap normally is, but there definitely is one.

The starters on these cars use the solenoid to force the drive gear out and into the flywheel or flexplate.

Yeah, there are some cars (I think Chrysler does it a lot?) that have the gear extended at all times, but most GM's don't from what I've seen.