Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutout Install is blowing fuses!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutout Install is blowing fuses!!!

I finished wiring up my cutouts and they are getting power. But it keeps blowing the fuses. I plugged them into the cigarette lighter ground and power. So I am wondering what the problem is. The fuse that came with the cutouts is a 5A250V fuse and it just blows it everytime I touch the switch. Does anybody have any idea what's going on. Oh and they are the Mccord cutouts, has 6 leads off of the switch. Two for powering the two cutouts, Two for ground for the two cutouts, One for the light, and one for the actual power. Or something like that.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would check the grounds... Make sure it's grounded to BARE METAL, if there is paint on the surface it is not a good ground.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

I cut the cigarette lighter wires and used those for the ground and the power. So I have the red power wire plugged into the orange cigarette power wire and the black cut-out ground wire to the black cigarette ground wire. I just wrapped soem of it in tape and tried it and it still blew it. None of the leads or wires are touching each other either.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try wiring the cutouts one at a time, if wired together and one of the motors in the cutouts is bad, it could cause the fuses to blow. Wiring them seperate to see if the fuses still blow could eliminate the this as possible problem. Sounds like you may have gotten a defective electric cutout.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't tap the black cig ground. No way to tell where that wire is ground to. Under the center counsel, there is an airbag sensor. I pulled one of the rear screws off, used a wire brush to take it to metal, and used that as my ground.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

No it's isn't the cutouts. Atleast not yet. It is popping the fuse before I even have the cut-outs plugged in. I will run another ground off of the cigarette lighter one and hook that up and see what happens. Hopefully that fixes the issue. Could it have something to do with the fuse itself, is it possible that toomuch juice is flowing through it and it's popping because of that.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would steer clear of tapping into the cigarette lighters wires, run the power off the main power wire under the dash and just put the ground to a solid clean piece of metal, if need be run an inline fuse
Old 06-17-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Regular

I got some help with it. One of the guys that works at Mccord sent me an email and gave me the website for the wiring diagram. If anybody runs into a similar problem give me a pm and ill post up a copy of the wiring diagram for you.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not just post up what the problem was? In case somebody does a search in the future answer is in the post.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

I thought I did answer it. It was miswiring from when it was originally done. Here is the wiring diagram for anybody that may need it. Also if you have the dual cutouts and while you hit the switch one opens and the other closes, then all you have to do is switch the red and the green wire after the first cutout. So switch the wires only on the second cutout and that will fix it right up for you.