Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Descreening the MAF

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 02:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Descreening the MAF

i kno this a topic that had been thrown around a bunch of times but is it really worth it? the main reason im holding back is because when i had my mecahnic rebuilding my tranny he took a look at the screen and found a dead hornet and a bird feather. i have no idea how that could get in there but it did. all my friends tell me to take it out but i dont kno if the pros outweigh the cons in this one.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

leave it in. stuff does get by the filter somehow, and without the screen its going into your motor. its not costing you but maybe 2hp tops
Old 06-17-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

please leave it in. it aint gonna do u a damn bit of good taking it out. first of all, the screen isnt there to keep dust and debris out of your motor. its there to create an even flow of air so your sensors get an accurate reading. the mafs arent highly accurate as it is, but thats the main purpose of your screen, as the filters job is keeping debris out of your motor.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:50 AM
10 Second Club

Leave it in. There is nothing to be gained from it. Nothing you would notice anyway, plus it could cause issues later.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I say leave it in. Not worth the minimal gain, if any.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ripped mine out absolutely no problems at all it was dynoed tested and gained 4HP to the rear wheels.Now if you plan on going off roading lol then leave it in.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tainted
leave it in. stuff does get by the filter somehow, and without the screen its going into your motor. its not costing you but maybe 2hp tops
Old 06-17-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02BEAST
Ripped mine out absolutely no problems at all it was dynoed tested and gained 4HP to the rear wheels.Now if you plan on going off roading lol then leave it in.
My point exactly, 4HP that you're not going to feel.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grifter
My point exactly, 4HP that you're not going to feel.
Every little bit helps especially when you cross the finish line first and they wonder why thats why every bit helps enough said.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Tech Resident

Every little bit helps especially when you cross the finish line first and they wonder why thats why every bit helps enough said.
descreening your MAF is not going to help you beat anyone. if you beat them, you would have beaten them anyway. if you lose, you would have lost with or without the screen.

unless you're running a dry shot of nitrous, there is no point in descreening the MAF. all you're asking for is problems. it's one of those things that can only hurt, and if you're lucky, you'll see nothing at all.
no, you didn't. that's called dyno variance. did you dyno on the same day? was the temperature, humidity and your air/fuel ration exactly the same every time? even if you did back to back dyno runs, a dyno will yield slightly different results every time. if you did NOT do the dynos on the same day, the results are guaranteed not from the MAF descreening. even if you DID dyno on the same day back to back, here are the possible scenarios:

1.) the time it took you to descreen the MAF allowed the engine to cool down enough where you picked up a few horsepower
2.) the dyno just varied

pull your car on the dyno 10 times in a row without changing a thing. the car won't dyno exactly the same. the MAF descreen had NOTHING to do with your 4 rwhp gain.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

took the words right out of my mouth!!!!!
Old 06-17-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

i did occasionally find a little piece of something in the screen of my maf but I just upgraded to a Z06 maf and they don't come with screens, so it can't be that big of a deal if GM didn't use them on it
Old 06-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
i did occasionally find a little piece of something in the screen of my maf but I just upgraded to a Z06 maf and they don't come with screens, so it can't be that big of a deal if GM didn't use them on it
different tune altogether. what works on a ZO6 doesn't necessarily work on an f-body. if you're gonna start screwing with the MAF, you have to get it accounted for by getting it tuned for it. messing with the MAF on a stock tune is just asking for problems.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

I actually gained 10 horsepower on the dyno by desreening the maf. This was on the same day on back to back pulls. This was also on a bigger cube motor with a 90/90 setup wich leads me to beleive that the maf was a restriction any way.

The only way descreening it will be worth some power is on a complete bolt on head and cam car.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:04 PM
Launching!

this is pretty much wat i was hoping to hear. my friends seem to be believers of every little bit counts. but i dont think its something that will help me win races.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
descreening your MAF is not going to help you beat anyone. if you beat them, you would have beaten them anyway. if you lose, you would have lost with or without the screen.

unless you're running a dry shot of nitrous, there is no point in descreening the MAF. all you're asking for is problems. it's one of those things that can only hurt, and if you're lucky, you'll see nothing at all.

no, you didn't. that's called dyno variance. did you dyno on the same day? was the temperature, humidity and your air/fuel ration exactly the same every time? even if you did back to back dyno runs, a dyno will yield slightly different results every time. if you did NOT do the dynos on the same day, the results are guaranteed not from the MAF descreening. even if you DID dyno on the same day back to back, here are the possible scenarios:

1.) the time it took you to descreen the MAF allowed the engine to cool down enough where you picked up a few horsepower
2.) the dyno just varied

pull your car on the dyno 10 times in a row without changing a thing. the car won't dyno exactly the same. the MAF descreen had NOTHING to do with your 4 rwhp gain.
What I would have said also, thanks.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

it`s more of a problem that your air box doesn`t seal properly.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:47 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by shoemike
it`s more of a problem that your air box doesn`t seal properly.
Right. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/556748-air-lid-causing-p0171-p0174-codes.html
Old 06-18-2007, 01:51 AM
Launching!

170 k miles w/o screen and no problems
Old 06-18-2007, 04:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Yeah, that was me.lol

IMO, leave the screens in. I don't believe the 4 RWHP from removing the screen.